mtbr member

Continental Mountain King II RaceSport, the 580 gram, 2.4" version

Anyone Rollin' on 26s? I'm riding a SC Nickel, heavy XC to light AM and not really any rocks or roots to worry about around here. Do you guys like them? And, do they Ghetto up well?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Don't think the 2.4 is 580gm. The 2.2 is around that weight. I just ordered one to put on the front not of my TRC. But it's going to be awhile before it hits the trail. Bad weather and waiting for sc to send me a new frame.

mtbr member
    Those are the tires I run on my 26" Evil Sovereign. I did weigh them and I know they are more than 580gm but can't remember how much...

I run them tubeless on Easton Haven wheels right now, with about 20lbs of pressure. They are big tires. So far, I really like it on the front. The rear.... not sure. It's good, but I'm not sure I need that much chunk for a rear. Will see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Don't think the 2.4 is 580gm. The 2.2 is around that weight. I just ordered one to put on the front not of my TRC. But it's going to be awhile before it hits the trail. Bad weather and waiting for sc to send me a new frame.
    Conti says 580.
    Continental Bicycle -Mountain King 2.4
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Maybe I ordered the protection w/black chili. I did allot of searching. And didn't find anything lighter. Than the upper 500gm range.

ups and downs
    My 2.4" x 26" Mountain King II RaceSport tires I bought in May 2012 came in at 550gms and 560gms. Great grip, very quiet rolling, and quite fast rolling as well. Not as smooth as Race Kings but getting there.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Are these OK tubeless?, I've had problems getting the protection carcass (admitedly on a RQ) to hold air. I wondered if the racesport MKII carcass is thick enough to go tubeless with?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have no problem with x king 29er race sport.

ups and downs
    Conti announced the ProTection RTR (Revolution Tubeless Ready) version at Sea Otter last year that was supposed to be truly tubeless ready

Continental Clears Up “New” Revolution Tubeless Mountain Bike Tire Scheme - Bike Rumor

UST – traditional UST – has nothing to do with ProTection, utilizes a butyl liner and UST bead, is unchanged and still offered across all patterns. 26″ ONLY, traditional UST and 29″ don’t mix – too heavy.

ProTection RTR – Conti’s tubeless-ready offering – combines the additional bead-to-bead casing ply of ProTection (heavy duty nylon; 4 plies under the tread / 3 in the sidewall) with a UST-style bead for RTR – Revolution Tubeless Ready compatibility. All ProTection RTR models are German-made and feature Black Chili Compound. 26″ and 29″.

RaceSport – effectively replaces SuperSonic as a more robust, but lightweight tube-type offering, also German-made and featuring Black Chili Compound. Although experienced users are able to run them tubeless, in order to avoid inconsistency, RaceSport is not officially marketed as tubeless-ready. 26″ and 29″.

mtbr member
    Iv'e looked online and can't even find these tires to buy.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    This is where I ordered mine from, I'm in Canada.

Reifen & Schläuche: MTB Faltreifen - BIKE-COMPONENTS.DE

ups and downs
    I haven't seen the RTR versions specifically listed yet so maybe that's just a feature of all the ProTection versions now, but the MKII 2.4 RaceSports I got from Universal Cycles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Good tall moderately fast and grippy rear tire. From memory closer to 650gm.You'll need an xking 2.4 to get under 600gm. Not as much cornering grip as a Ro Ro 2.4 [ 2012] in the front.
    Going off memory may be slightly less cornering grip than a No Ni 2.4 and more than a 2.35.

As a rear it sits in between X king 2.4 and TK2.2 for speed and grip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My MKII 2.4 RS was 631g brand new, purchased end of 2012. Setup tubeless without issues. Definitely not as grippy as the 2.35 Kenda Excavator it replaced, but 50g lighter. However, as other's said, it was no where near the 580g stated - at least mine wasn't. Don't have enough riding on it yet to see how well it holds up to agressive riding.

mtbr member
    ^ My guess is that there are different versions.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    ^ My guess is that there are different versions.
    Yep there sure are. You asked about the 26" Race Sport version which is the one I provided actual weight of. The one I received was 631g, quite off from the claimed 580g on their website. But to answer your question about tubeless, it setup just fine for me without issues, and is holding well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    My 2.4" x 26" Mountain King II RaceSport tires I bought in May 2012 came in at 550gms and 560gms. Great grip, very quiet rolling, and quite fast rolling as well. Not as smooth as Race Kings but getting there.
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoworks View Post
    Yep there sure are. You asked about the 26" Race Sport version which is the one I provided actual weight of. The one I received was 631g, quite off from the claimed 580g on their website. But to answer your question about tubeless, it setup just fine for me without issues, and is holding well.
    Yeah, gotta be two versions. I think that's to much of a difference in weight.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    FYI. 2.2 protection. Just weighed at 660gram.

ups and downs
    And I was initially unhappy that my RaceSports weighed 10gms more than my Supersonic Mountain King I 2.4 tires.

Continental Mountain King II RaceSport, the 580 gram, 2.4" version-2013_0109new0001.jpg