Nightriding rules SuperModerator

New question here. Continental Explorer 2.1 (folding) and Eclipse tubeless system

Hi!

I found a good deal on these tires on ebay.. I got a pair for 20 EUR (about $25) they have kevlar bead and are new. I bought them to convert to tubeless with Eclipse. What do you think about these tires? Do they seal well??

Thanks,
    -Cris

anyone?? plz...

hi!

I just want an opinion on the performance of the tires.

Thanks,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Hi!

I found a good deal on these tires on ebay.. I got a pair for 20 EUR (about $25) they have kevlar bead and are new. I bought them to convert to tubeless with Eclipse. What do you think about these tires? Do they seal well??

Thanks,
    -Cris
    gack ! I paid 85 euro for a pair at my LBS shop last weekend. I put them on a new mavic crossland wheelset. They seal fine, no obvious leakage for the last couple of days. I'm still getting the feel for them but first impressions are that the bike is much more twitchy and control is less. Could be the PSI I run at too, have to experiment.

Wink you probably got the UST version...

Quote Originally Posted by milliondollarhero
    gack ! I paid 85 euro for a pair at my LBS shop last weekend. I put them on a new mavic crossland wheelset. They seal fine, no obvious leakage for the last couple of days. I'm still getting the feel for them but first impressions are that the bike is much more twitchy and control is less. Could be the PSI I run at too, have to experiment.
    Hi! You probably got the UST version, the ones I bought are regular ones. I currently have Schwalbe Black Sharks (not the MUD version) and they run pretty good, but I have had them for a while and I have read that tubeless with old rubber is not such a good idea, so I'll test the Eclipse kit (which I received this morning ) with the Contis.

Thanks for your comments.

-Cris

Complete Bastard
    They work great converted to tubeless. THey are not the fastest rolling tire but they have incredible grip in pretty much any conditions. You'll love em.

Can't wait...

Quote Originally Posted by mward
    They work great converted to tubeless. THey are not the fastest rolling tire but they have incredible grip in pretty much any conditions. You'll love em.
    I hope they are shipped soon....

Thanks a lot!

-Cris

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'd be a little careful. I've run Conti explorers on the front with Stans with no problems, they worked well, but over the last couple of years there have been numerous reports of Contis failing when used with latex. Usually something to do with the latex effecting the inner rubber casing causing tire failure. As I said, this was not my experience but it was enough to make me change. I'm now using Nokian NBX lites with Eclipse. If you've already got them and really want to use them I reckon just keep a close eye on them for any bubles or bulges.

Complete Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeeR
    I'd be a little careful. I've run Conti explorers on the front with Stans with no problems, they worked well, but over the last couple of years there have been numerous reports of Contis failing when used with latex. Usually something to do with the latex effecting the inner rubber casing causing tire failure. As I said, this was not my experience but it was enough to make me change. I'm now using Nokian NBX lites with Eclipse. If you've already got them and really want to use them I reckon just keep a close eye on them for any bubles or bulges.
    This myth just won't seem to die. Latex (rubber) does not affect rubber. Conti had a batch of tires come out with insufficient layer bonding in the sidewalls which normally wouldn't be an issue because the tube keeps the air in. When converted to tubeless they had some blowouts. It's not an issue now.