mtbr member
    May 2009

Continental Baron 2.3 tire ?

Tried searching for a thread but didn't come up with much so how is the Conti Baron 2.3 w/the reinforced sidewall for a front tire? My trail cond's are varied- loose, hardpack, roots, loose rocks, roots. Does it wear fast? Would be running it ghetto tubeless...

I found a couple online dealers with very good prices on the Baron: Art's Cycles & Bike Bling- any reason not to order from either of them? I pretty much stick to Universal & PricePoint but BB & AC, the prices are too good not to try (BB is cheapest but that's before shipping so they probably end up being about the same).

Thanks!

Is not amused
    Found these, you might have read them already. Not running those but running the TK2 f/r in 2.2.
    Continental Baron 2.3 Review
    Conti Barons without tubes?
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Hot Pursuit
    I'm currently running these on my Tracer. Love them and they bite pretty good on Socal loose rocky soil.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I searched 'continental baron' & 'der baron' so those 2 threads didn't come up. Soundslike they'd be fine for my trails but a few people mentioned they didn't set up easily for tubeless. I've done a Geax Dhea TNT & Maxxis Ardent EXO ghetto tubeless with no issues so experience is limited. No problems so far... The Geax is over a year old so need a new front for this year. Also thinking Speesh Butcher in 2.3......

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    I searched 'continental baron' & 'der baron' so those 2 threads didn't come up. Soundslike they'd be fine for my trails but a few people mentioned they didn't set up easily for tubeless. I've done a Geax Dhea TNT & Maxxis Ardent EXO ghetto tubeless with no issues so experience is limited. No problems so far... The Geax is over a year old so need a new front for this year. Also thinking Speesh Butcher in 2.3......
    Yeah the search on the site is horrible. If I search for anything I go to Google then type what i'm looking for followed by MTBR, from there something is bound to be found and from there just click more from MTBR and find what your looking for. The Spec. Butcher or clutch is supposed to be a good tire comparable to the minion.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    I just purchased the Baron 2.3 for a front tire and have to say I am super impressed! The tire rides well on all the trails here in nor cal, but it really excels is on the trails with moist loose dirt. With the apex side walls I'm able to run the pressure around 28 up front ( I'm about 185 all geared up) with tubes. It grips on the roots and rocks and after about 8 hard rides for a total of about 100 miles it hasn't even lost the little rubber nobbies. As for running tubeless I havent tried. On my scale it weighed around 750 grams so it's not too heavy either. I say pull the trigger I don't think you'll be dissapointed. On a side note I have it paired up with the trail king 2.2 in the rear but thinking of getting a baron for the rear soon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    I just purchased the Baron 2.3 for a front tire and have to say I am super impressed! The tire rides well on all the trails here in nor cal, but it really excels is on the trails with moist loose dirt. With the apex side walls I'm able to run the pressure around 28 up front ( I'm about 185 all geared up) with tubes. It grips on the roots and rocks and after about 8 hard rides for a total of about 100 miles it hasn't even lost the little rubber nobbies. As for running tubeless I havent tried. On my scale it weighed around 750 grams so it's not too heavy either. I say pull the trigger I don't think you'll be dissapointed. On a side note I have it paired up with the trail king 2.2 in the rear but thinking of getting a baron for the rear soon!
    How was the width on the 2.3 Baron? From reports, it seems a bit skinny for a front tire during the winter (I'm in wet, rooty, slick Seattle, WA). Regardless of width, I'm still somewhat tempted to throw the Barons on both front and rear, instead of the hans Dampf, so that I can run UST tires and UST rims. I wish the Baron didn't measure out so skinny for how heavy it is, but I imagine the grip is fantastic.

mtbr member
    double post
    Last edited by Heretic Skeptic; 09-22-2012 at 03:56 AM. Reason: double post