mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Conti X-king or Mountain Kings

Thanks to some DB I need new tires. Somebody put a lot of broken glass at the entrance to the local trail. Rode through it and shredded my Nobby Nics. They were pretty wore anyways. So I have had MKs before and liked them.(The original version.)

OK, got it down to 2.4 X-kings f/r or MK II Front and XK rear or MK f/r. I am going to get the 2.4 because most of what I have read said the 2.2 are more of a 2.0 or 2.1. I ride in FL so lots of roots, sand, mud. Very few trails have a lot of rocks ( Markham Park), but otherwise not to many rocky situations. I am a clyde riding 26" 120 mm FS bike.

Leaning towards the 2.4 XK f/r.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My .02 is to go with the 2.4 XK. I had them in their initial Racesport offereing on my 26" Top Fuel and absolutely loved them. Ran them with tubes too. Hooked up on the rocky and rooty and sometimes damp trails all around where I live, with no problems.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

Viva la Vida!
    Stay away from Continental tires if you like your tires to last more than a month.
    I am done with them after my X-King lasted 1 ride and my Mountain King 1 month they both got their sidewalls sliced.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

no trees are safe
    Depends on your terrain and the grip yo require. If you're an aggressive rider I'd rather go for MK II front/ x-king rear.

Also check out the new Wild Grip'r 2012 from Michelin. Great gripy tires that are well rolling. Just get the Advanced version if you don't want to slide around on roots.

mtbr member
    X King sidewalls:
    Check out my Conti X-King sidewall
    ... and now the bead is separating from the sidewall.

It's back to Maxxis tires for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I went on a Conti buying spree last year and settled on Trail Kings or MKII front & rear, depending on how much traction I want.

The X-king was my least favorite tire, it wasn't much faster than the MKII while giving up a ton of traction. I had front wheel slide out under braking quite a few times and spun the rear on steep climbs too often for my liking. It just didn't have enough grip for me to ride my bike the way I like to. I had to keep my speed down and brake early on steeper downhills and slowly spin up steep climbs instead of standing up and powering over them to keep my speed & momentum. Corners predictably, but once again it'll lose grip before the MKII.

The MKII is my all-round go to tire. It rolls well enough so I don't suffer and it has enough grip that I usually run out of courage before I run out of traction. My only issue is that cornering takes a bit of getting used to, there's a dead spot before the side knobs start biting in so I had to get used to committing on corners and leaning the bike over hard. If you don't commit the tires won't grip as well and the bike gets loose and drifts off the trail. But once you get comfortable with it it'll rail corners a lot harder than the X-king.

You might also want to check out the Trail King, it's like the MKII, but bigger and with more grip. It also corners more predictably and you don't have to lean it over hard to make it grip properly. You can casually lean it as much or as little as you like without affecting its cornering performance that much. On the downside, it's heavier and slower than the MKII. This is the tire I use when I know I'm going to be going too fast & doing stupid stuff, and need a forgiving tire to bail me out when I get in over my head.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    X-king no go, if you must try Conti get the MK II in protection flavor. But beware, the loose chunks of rubber real fast, for the price, i'd go Maxxis or Schwalbe.. They grip good and roll good thou.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    No X-King in the front. Run the MK in the front, or better yet the Schwalbe Hans Dampf and the MK in the rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Damn I had to make a quick decision and went with XK f/r. I was totally on the wall about a MK II on the front. Oh well I will see how much I like it or dislike it. I hope I don't miss my NN too much.

Got a great deal either way $76 for 2 X/K protection tires from bike bling. If I do not like it as a front tire I will get the MKII. I was real happy with the wear on my old MK hope these wear the same.

Thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Rekibtm,

You'll be fine. A lot of it comes down to riding style and skill and tire pressure. I had none of the issues with grip that are being spoken about. I ran the tires front and rear as well. They rolled fast, surprised me at how well they climbed on wet rocks, and never let go when pushing in turns.

I'm waiting for them to actually stock the 2.4 XK Black Chili in 29er so I can run them on my HT.

Hope you like them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    jochribs, thanks for the positive words. I wanted to try them before I ended up with the NN. However there were a ton of complaints about the XK being set up tubeless so NN it was. The Nobby Nics are freaking unreal tires that I could only afford because I got such a great deal on them from my LBS. Sounds like conti fixed the tubeless problem so I am stoked to try the XKs. If they wash out too much I will get a MK II for the front.

The guys that do like them, what pressure are you running?
    ( I am ~ 215 geared up)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I ran my early version Racesport 26x2.4's at around 22 psi, according to my pump gauge. I am finding that the gauge is reading low, so that might have been more like 25 psi. I weigh about 155-160 on the bike.

mtbr member
    29 inch.
    I really really really like the X king rear. For me and my trails, it has more forward bite than anything I have used. (I have only used this tire on the rear).

It was recommended, and I made sure that I got the Black Chili compound.

I have found this tire to be somewhat sensitive to pressure, and I run exactly 29psi rear on a hardtail. I weigh 197.. 30 is too much and 28 is too low for me, srsly.

I paired with a Panaracer Rampage front that I also really like, and the combination truly makes me smile. I almost killed myself three times the other day, and only the tire COMBINATION saved me. (two wheel drifts)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I will not buy another X-King, loses knobs, low overall durability (even w/Protection), and now seaping sealant through the rubber and losing pressure. Hardly used.... Pretty quick rolling, nice looking, with marginal traction but very dissapointed. First and probably last experience with Conti on the mountain bike. Hopefully they work better for you - maybe the MKII is more durable?

Likely going back to Maxxis Ignitor/Crossmark or might try the new Michelin Wild Gripr - not sure what to do.....

no trees are safe
    Quote Originally Posted by richsto View Post
    I will not buy another X-King, loses knobs, low overall durability (even w/Protection), and now seaping sealant through the rubber and losing pressure. Hardly used....
    It has been said a dozen times... Conti had a manufacturing issue and warrantied the tyres that had a defective black chilly compound. I've got an MKs II racesport for about a half a year and 300KM and they hardly look worn from the mixed tarmac/trail use.

Although I do also Like the Wild Gripr's 2012.
    Last edited by Millfox; 01-19-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I have a 4 yr old MK 29er(the original with triangle knob) front and this summer got a XK rear. it replaced a Race king rear that I just kept slicing sidewalls. New England Dragon tooth rocks play hell on all tires
    I wasn't 100% sure with the XK till this winter, until I ran it in the snow. it did REALLY well!! especially for such a small knobber. only 2 very steep hills did it slip out !! I'm pretty impressed with the tire honestly. I have heard of them having material issues but have always been good about Warr so that's not a biggy.

For FLA's ride terrian I think you'll be pretty happy with them.

you can see it in this vid... I was first in both "climbs" and thou I bailed with those guys getting beyond me, it's more my lack of skill then the tires... Oh, and they were all using pretty kurly knobed tires...

1st Snow Ride of 2013
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nice Jethro, Thomllama...

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Nice Jethro, Thomllama...
    thanks
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have them mounted up and they look sweet. Smaller that 2.4 I would guess, but they are pretty much exactly the size I want. I think they will be great for most the places I ride. My local trail has some crazy ass clay/horse ****/cow **** insane mud that packs up on most tires. The best performing tire in the weird ass mud was the original MK. I never tried real mud tires because it is not always muddy. I am really looking forward to see how they work, bu tit has been rain a lot lately so I will have to wait a few days.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaleon View Post
    Stay away from Continental tires if you like your tires to last more than a month.
    I am done with them after my X-King lasted 1 ride and my Mountain King 1 month they both got their sidewalls sliced.

OP, your mileage may (and in all likelihood will) vary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I got some ride time in on the X-Kings and I am very happy with them. They start to let go occasionally in the corners, but it always turned into a bit of a controlled drift. No problem scrubbing speed when needed and they roll exceptionally well. I am happy I went with them front and back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Riding 2.2 XKing Protection F/R and haven't had any issues with durability. Great tread life and no sidewall issues.
    Lots of rocky riding around the Austin area so if these were still having issues, there's no doubt they'd be torn apart by now. With that said, I've been contemplating a move to Trail Kings or maybe the new 2.3 Ikons as these seem to still lack the cornering grip I'm looking for. I'd give them a solid B+ all-around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    With that said, I've been contemplating a move to Trail Kings or maybe the new 2.3 Ikons as these seem to still lack the cornering grip I'm looking for. I'd give them a solid B+ all-around.
    Go right for the Trail King, it's a whole 'nother level of cornering grip. I found the Ikons to corner a bit better than the X-King but both tires are more or less in the same class when it comes to traction & cornering. They're made more for low rolling resistance & speed than traction and when it comes to grip they're both solidly outclassed by the Trail King. If you don't mind the extra weight & rolling resistance, try a Conti Baron 2.3 on the front to go with a 2.2 Trail King. I bought one late last year and it's like cheating, I've gotten away with so much dumb & reckless riding thanks to the grip I get from the tires that it gives me the giggles.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm View Post
    I got some ride time in on the X-Kings and I am very happy with them. They start to let go occasionally in the corners, but it always turned into a bit of a controlled drift. No problem scrubbing speed when needed and they roll exceptionally well. I am happy I went with them front and back.
    How are the tires? Did you go to a MKII in the front or still running X-Kings F and R?