mtbr member

conti trail kings

thinking of switching to trail kings 2.4f, 2.2r. they would get mounted tubeless on flows. i am not sure as when i search for online store, they have UST version, than regular version and than protection version, sometimes also reffered as tubeless ready. i thought i need tubeless ready version but i was told by universal cycles that conti doesnt make tubeless ready. than looking through universal cycles site i found all three versions. soo i guess i am confused. is there a tubeless ready version or not?
    also how do trail kings 2.4/2.2 compare volumewise to conti diesel 2.5 and mountain king 2.4? thats the combo i currently run
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Conti claims on their site that the protection technology is tubeless ready (Continental Bicycle -ProTection), but it's a question whether the protection beads are really any different from their regular tires.

Regardless, even the regular Conti tires work great on the ZTR rims. In general, protection seems to be the happy medium, unless you want the weight savings of racesport/supersonic or the "true" tubeless compatibility provided by the UST models.

BTW, there are no mentions of the Protection version for RQ/TK on the Continental site, it only shows the regular and UST versions.

mtbr member
    yeah, didnt see it on conti website either, just some retailers list it as protection. dont want UST really,. right now both conti tires i have are standard, no ust no protection. rear is fine but front diesel keeps burping on me. not sure why maybe i just had bad luck and its just that particular piece.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm running a regular 2.4" Trail King on a Flow front rim and I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.