Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Is not amused

Conti trail king 26 x 2.2

I recently ordered a set and im wondering the size width because its been said they run big. Now I'm wondering if it will fit on the rear of a stumpy fsr 11. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. Ps. I.ll be running them front and rear. How is that set up working on your ride?

parts leftover
    It should fit fine, although they are nicely fat for a 2.2 width. They are hands down the best all around trail tires I have ever used. The tread pattern and black chili compound are optimal for the conditions I ride in.

Is not amused
    Thanks for information, as I've heard nothing but good about these tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Thanks for information, as I've heard nothing but good about these tires.
    Well, to me it seems it would be better if they had slightly more aggressive side knobs. On ZTR Flow (22.6 mm inner), casing runs one or two mm wider than the outermost knobs (57-58 mm at the casing), which makes the RQ not as confident in deep ruts and similar stuff as it could be.
    Otherwise, great tire indeed.

BTW, does anyone have an idea of any tire which you could call "a better Rubber Queen", considering my side knob preference while keeping everything else close to the RQ?

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirus View Post
    BTW, does anyone have an idea of any tire which you could call "a better Rubber Queen", considering my side knob preference while keeping everything else close to the RQ?
    You might look at the Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3. It's very aggressive with a similar tread pattern, but IMO doesn't roll as well as the Conti RQ/TK. Regardless, my wife won't run any other front tire on her bike.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/2006-Hu...da-Review.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I love my RQ2.4 but on everything other than wet rock, my Advantage 2.4 is a faster rolling, more predictable, feels plusher as weaker side walls continual run of side knobs pretty much, seems comparable in the mud to, but the RQ2.4's compound wins in wet rock areas.

Also huge so a 2.25, the 2.4 even rolls okay on the rear where as I think a RQ2.4 would drag.

* not used the 2.2!!

mtbr member
    Well I forgot to mention that I intend to tun the new tire up front only and during wet periods of time like late fall/early spring. In the rear, I am happy with RQ 2.2, and in the summer I run a pair of Michelin Wild tires in 2.25.
    So it should have good grip in wet conditions, at least not worse than the RQ which it will perhaps be replacing, so probably a fairly soft compound tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Muddy Mary ?? 2.4 it's supposed to be higher volume than the RQ2.4 and softer rubber, but without the BC advantage ( dunno if I believe that anyway ).

42a maxxis minion Single ply DHF would be softer, 2.5 would likely be similar size to the 2.2 RQ strangely, maybe even the 40a slow rebound if they do 1 for ultimate wet traction!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There's always the Nevegal Stickee too...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input everyone. The Barracuda lacks transition knobs which isn't really good for my desired do-it-all early spring/late fall tire. It also looks a bit too aggressive anyway.
    As for the Schwalbes, I'll better stay away from them for now, since there are reports that their newer models don't run well on ZTR rims (I have Flows) and that their overall quality has dropped noticeably in the last year or so. Also, they're way too expensive to try experimenting with them, so no, thanks.
    Minions maybe, but it looks like they're too heavy for their actual size, even the 1-ply ones. Also, the 42a compound may be way too soft whereas the next option seems to be 60, and that's harder than I'd like. There are a few other interesting Maxxis tires, though, but this time I think I simply want to try a different vendor.
    Kendas maybe, especially something like Excavator with dual compound.

Anyway, after some looking around, I came across the WTB Prowler MX 2.3 in Super Track compound. Looks just right: proper tread pattern, good side knobs, right compound on the soft side, not too heavy (700g-ish I suppose) and enough volume (if the GMS info on the WTB site can be trusted). Also, it will likely work on ZTR rims tubeless, however, I couldn't find much info on this other than one post on the Notubes board. Last but not least, reasonably priced.
    May also try the Bronson rather than the Prowler, depending on the stock availability at where and when I'll be ordering.

Will do more searching though. I will not need to install it before it starts raining in the fall, so don't really have to buy it now in a hurry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by schlim View Post
    They are hands down the best all around trail tires I have ever used. The tread pattern and black chili compound are optimal for the conditions I ride in.
    +1

I love these tires. You give up a little in rolling resistance but the confidence they inspire is downright dangerous

Is not amused
    Update, just got them on today. IMHO, they roll and have a much better grip then the stock ones that where on my bike. I noticed the side knobs don't protrude to far besides that the grip on these things is unreal. I'll test them out tommorrow. Also for some reason I never got a email or update about this thread...weird...Thanks for the imputs though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the 2.4 is amazing great tire, you'll love it, damn good job there a lot of money just for 1 tire, on the front aswell I've got 1000's of miles on mine and the little dimples where the fluffy rubber stuff was is there there, they don't wear at all

Tire Geek O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirus View Post
    Have you considered the Big Betty Vertstar 2.4" or the Hans Dampf Trailstar 2.35?? both are awesome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    On the front i only use :-

RQ2.4 or Maxxis Advantage 2.4, volume is down slightly on the advantage, it roles near silent and gives a very comfortable ride feeling like more suspension than than RQ2.4, very aggressive side knobs but 60a rubber so less useful on wet rocky terrain.

XK2.4's for very dry hard floor days, although I think the Advantage 2.4 might actually role better.

I haven't tried the Big Betty or the Hans Dampf as yet, I'd like to ofcourse but had to cut my tire experimentation budget these days

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just adding my experience with Rubber Queen ... Black Chilli is by far the best tyre compound I've used. I love these tyres, they grip in places most tyres don't, they're predictable when they slide, they don't wear as fast and they feel just as quick rolling as the stock tyre. I've used 2.4" front and rear on a rigid SS for rougher rides, brilliant set-up.

Just waiting for the 2.2 ad 2.4 29er versions with black chilli now.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    I just slapped on a set of Conti Mountain King 2.4s.. talk about your fat daddy-o's!
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fattybikejones View Post
    I just slapped on a set of Conti Mountain King 2.4s.. talk about your fat daddy-o's!
    I hope your talking about the Mk2's cause the Mk's I'd class as 2.15 area, the RQ/TK 2.4's on the other hand I'd class as 2.6's

mtbr member
    Speaking of these tires.....

Has anyone had issues with getting the tires to seat on their rims?

Everytime I have to re-install them after say a flat, or something the bead doesn't wanna' seat. Like... at all. It creates huge wobbles in the tire, and is a complete pain in the butt to get it to "pop" into place. I've had to use my personal air compressor with over 60 PSI just to get it to seat.

Have had to use soapy water, etc. WTF gives? Last time I got a flat on the trail, I couldn't for the life of me get it to seat... and rode all the way back to the parking lot with a huge "bump" in my rear tire because I couldn't get it to seat.

Is there some special trick I dunno about ?

I know the sidewall on these is super flimsy... but damn. I've never had so much trouble in my life with tires seating on rims.

I've got the stock Alex rims on my Rockhopper...

Any chance of getting these tires to work with stan's rim strips & stan's tire sealant to go tubeless? Think they'll seal ?
    Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd View Post
    I hope your talking about the Mk2's cause the Mk's I'd class as 2.15 area, the RQ/TK 2.4's on the other hand I'd class as 2.6's
    Nope.. MK 2.4.. Compared to my 2.1 something Kendas.. the MKs are Colossal!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fattybikejones View Post
    Nope.. MK 2.4.. Compared to my 2.1 something Kendas.. the MKs are Colossal!!!
    Compare them to a RQ 2.4 and you'll think they are barely there.

There small compared to a XK 2.4 or even a RK 2.2.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd View Post
    Compare them to a RQ 2.4 and you'll think they are barely there.

There small compared to a XK 2.4 or even a RK 2.2.
    Ohhh..to me they are there..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've had great luck with Trail King 2.2 Black Chili Protection version running as front tire only. One thing to add is that my friend has the regular non-Black Chili version and his is noticeably narrower. I didn't have a measuring device with me and granted they were on different rims but we both have older narrower rims. I agree that they are overall very confidence inspiring and predictable but every once in a while I wish they had some more aggressive side knobs as I've washed out on a few turns. Probably just as much user error as anything else though (probably more, actually)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have the MK2 2.4 upfront with a crest rim. It's barely larger than the Ikon 2.2 at the rear. Was hoping it would be noticeably larger. But it's a good tire. For my riding style and skill, it has almost the same grip as a Minion 2.35 and rolls much faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Maybe at a glance?.Mine measure out quite a bit bigger than Ikons.From memory about 58mm vs 54mm in width and at least 5 mm taller.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast