mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Conti Speed King Supersonic

Has anybody raced on these things. They seem nice and light, but maybe a little lacking in toughness. I'd be running them on ztr355 and tubeless. I'm not so concerned with long term wear, but more with race day durability.

ups and downs
    If you can lay your hands on a set, these might be the Conti race weapon of choice.

mtbr member

2 times so far

i have a set, they roll fast for a full knob tire. the compound is so soft they feel a little squirmy at times on hardpack.

i used them in wet / muddy conditions with lots of roots and they worked very well, better than any other tire I own. but for dry I prefer the conti twister ss - still way faster rolling.

mtbr member

light but undersized

I don't race but my 2.4 supersonic is only 503g but it's also only a 2.2 at the widest portion of the tread and a 2.0 at the casing.
    It is however fast and has good traction, I've been pretty happy with it but I'm tired of the lying bike manufacturers

wyrd bi ful rd
    do you mean the mountain king? the speed king only comes in a 2.3 and a 2.1 whereas the speed king comes in a 2.4 and 2.2 sizes. (unless conti has come up with a new sizing)

mtbr member
    "do you mean the mountain king? the speed king only comes in a 2.3 and a 2.1 whereas the speed king comes in a 2.4 and 2.2 sizes. (unless conti has come up with a new sizing)"

You mean mountainking.....

I must have a strange set then - my 2.2 Mountain kings come up at err well 2.2.....

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Quote Originally Posted by pbayne
    Has anybody raced on these things. They seem nice and light, but maybe a little lacking in toughness. I'd be running them on ztr355 and tubeless. I'm not so concerned with long term wear, but more with race day durability.
    They are very thin and soft. They work well in a lot of conditions, but when I raced them I always worried about flats. Hands down, the best tire from Conti that I race on in all conditions is the soon-to-be-released Race King 2.2. I had a hand in product testing last year on the race course.

mtbr member
    i have the same "test rider" mtn king ss, and while its a nice tire.. the extremely thin sidewalls had my worrying anytime the terrain started to get rough. i went back to my tried and true Big Betty for a front tire.