mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Conti Race Kings - tire pressure vs comfort

Am interested in the Race Kings, but I see the recommended minimum pressure is way up there: 50 psi. I'm wondering if this tire is noticeably 'rougher' to ride due to that level of inflation. Anyone have experience to share on the comfort factor?

does anyone run them a little underpressure?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Tire pressures printed on the sides of tires are typically for lawyer purposes. Though I don't own those tires, I would go out on a limb and say that the percentage of people running their Race Kings below 50 PSI is somewhere around 100% considering how ludicrously high that is.

In off road applications lower pressures roll faster. Comfort is speed. If you are going tubeless, I would probably start off in the 25-27 psi range with those and make adjustments as you see fit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by overmodulated View Post
    Am interested in the Race Kings, but I see the recommended minimum pressure is way up there: 50 psi. I'm wondering if this tire is noticeably 'rougher' to ride due to that level of inflation. Anyone have experience to share on the comfort factor?

does anyone run them a little underpressure?

thanks!

This has been my go to tire for about 3 years. They are great tires IMO if you get the black chilli compound and run the right pressure. You will need to play with tire pressure to dial them in, with too much pressure they do not grip well, and too little and they squirm. Not sure how much you weigh, but starting at 40 psi and slowly working your way down should get you at the right pressure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Continental is completely out to lunch on their recommended tire pressures. For the 2.2 Race Kings, start around 30-35 psi depending on your weight and go from there. I weigh about 150 lbs and run 25-32psi, any more than that and it bounces all over the place. The sweet spot for me is 26-27psi, but I'm lazy so I just inflate them to 32psi then keep riding them until they get too soft & squirmy which is right around 24-25psi.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The 2.2 RK Supersonic is my favorite rear tire, been running them for years. I'm running 22 - 23 psi tubeless, FS bike, I'm 150 lbs. These things are awesome on wet roots/rocks. You have approx. 3 - 4 psi range to where the performance drops off huge with to much pressure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    50psi is something like 3.5bar? That's definitely not minimum pressure. I'm running Race King (protection version) as tubeless on back wheel, and I like to have back tire much harder then really needed, yet it's still on 2.5bar (I guess around 35psi). Front X-King (also protection and tubeless) is on 1.5bar (around 20psi), and they work great. So 50psi is definitely not minimum. To be honest, I didn't even check for minimum pressure, but I remember that max pressure written on Race King Protection is 4bar (58psi).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks. Good feedback. I should have mentioned I'm 190 lbs and run them with tubes.

I suppose 50 psi would yield great rolling resistance on asphalt, but that's it. any additional input would be appreciated.

sheep in FOX clothing
    I don't go to 50 PSI except to set the bead for tubeless.

Even when I road ride them, I go 40 PSI tops.

IllumaDucati
    There's a 50-page thread about these tires in the Weight Weenies forum: Race King 2.2