mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Conti Race Kings

Thinking about picking up a pair but don't know whether I should go tubeless or not for my UST rims...

The UST tubeless versions don't use their Black Chili compound, so there's the trade off. Do I get standard tires w/ Black Chili, or do I go tubeless w/o Black Chili?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Oh, and I think the standard tires are a fair bit lighter, even with tubes. So there's that too.

mtbr member
    I have some experience with the Supersonic version. Nice tires, but sealing them was a pita and one of the tires developed a bulge in the sidewall (not due to sealant) after 3-4 rides. $50 bucks gone.

If you choose the non UST tire, you'll probably want the Racesport version. Apparently has BC compound, is tubeless ready and sealant compatible? IME, durability is worth more than a bit of weight, especially considering the cost of tires these days.

No experience running UST rims and non-UST tires. Stan's Arch for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    From what I read somewhere else, the new 2012 racesport isn't tubeless ready anymore. Only ProTection is. Could be wrong tho.
    Main bike : Altitude RSL 70 '11
    DH bike : Aurum 2 '12

mtbr member
    I have a 2.2 up front. Tubeless on Stan's Crest 29, no problems.

mtbr member
    I've been on RaceKings for 2.5 years so far. 26" SuperSonic 2.2 version (fat tire!). They are Black Chili. Been running them tubeless with Stan's juice and gorilla tape on Stan's rims and on the chinese wide carbon rims. The key (I think) is to clean the interior of the tire before attempting the tubeless conversion. Otherwise, the juice won't "stick". I've used carb cleaner + isopropyl alcohol. Always with a compressor. I love those tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    What's the difference betw the Racesport & Supersonic versions?

mtbr member
    Tire ETRTO dimension color weight
    Supersonic 50-559 26 x 2.0 black Skin foldable 430
    55-559 26 x 2.2 black Skin foldable 470
    Racesport 50-559 26 x 2.0 black Skin foldable 450
    55-559 26 x 2.2 black Skin foldable 500
    55-622 29 x 2.2 black Skin foldable 570
    Protection 55-559 26 x 2.2 black Skin foldable 550

All 3 versions come in Black Chili. Protection has another casing ply and sidewall reinforcement. Racesport is still light, but has a bit more rubber in the sidewalls than the Supersonic.

mtbr member
    Hm. Table looked good when I laid it out and in edit mode, but is a pile of crap once posted. Point is, there's not much of a weight gain with the Racesports, just a bit more rubber in the sidewalls.

@ Wanny: you might be right, (no UST bead on Racesport), but I'd bet the extra sidewall meat will help with sealing.

Also- aren't Conti coming out with sealant compatible tires for 2013? I thought I read they'll also be selling their own brand of juice.