mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Conti Race King Supersonics in 2.2 - porous sidewalls!!!

Just mounted a set of Conti Race King Supersonics in 2.2 in tubeless style on some Fulcrum Red Metal Zero (Rim Brake) rims (17mm wide) and this is the result of the "pool test" before spreading the Stans around inside. Check out the streams of air bubbles coming out of the sidewall all over the place.

Thankfully after working the Stans sealant all around things sealed up nicely, but the sidewalls are as thin as they feel.

See here for more pics and more of my dribblings on these tyres

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Not so shocking in a 460g tire.

Its still my favorite summer tire, but I use lightweight tubes. The conti supersonic tires seem to be best for us lightweight folks. I weigh 145ish in the summer and have had no problems with flats, my friend weighs 190ish and gets flats all the time, maybe I pick better lines though.
    Titus X Carbon
    Schwinn Prologue
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    a cool picture, but if you've seen the 10+ page thread about these tires you'd know the leaking is not surprising. In fact, the result that you've sealed the sidewall after shaking the sealant around is a pretty good success story from what I've seen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    There's even a 1 page thread discussing the fact that the original thread had got too long and couldn't be viewed anymore unless you changed some setting in your personal profile
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse
    a cool picture, but if you've seen the 10+ page thread about these tires you'd know the leaking is not surprising...
    I hear you. I knew they were leaky before I got them but I just wanted to post up an underwater pic of a MTB tyre

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I recall sticking mine in the bathtub too, checking for leaks and seeing something with more resemblance to an aquarium air stone.

Spread the sealant around by hand, gave it a couple rides, and now it doesn't do that anymore.

Fun to hold your hand on when it's bubbling in the water. Kind of tickles.

mtbr member
    My Raceking SS sealed pretty quickly, but the Mountainking SS was a pain... kept leaking for weeks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've done a couple of decent rides on the Race Kings and they are great. Very fast rolling, superb traction on hard pack and rocks. BUT, they have no traction through mud puddles where the mud is slimy on top of hard pack. The knobs are not big enough to get through the mud/slime layer and their big size doesn't help get through the soft stuff. Other than that, they are a great set of tyres when pumped up between 32-35psi.