mtbr member

Conti Race King 2.2 UST ISSUES

Just purchased a set of them to mount on my Niner Air 9 and have had no luck getting them to seat on the rim. I'm mounting them to a set of Pure XCR rims with Stans rims strips. Never had any other issues with any other tire. Heck my Ground Controls pumped up witha floor pump. I ended up pulling the strips and added two more layers of tape to see if that would help , but was a no go. I have a small compressor but it was of no use as well. Any ideas?? Otherwise I'm taking them back.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Have you tried spraying soapy water on the bead of the tire? This could help to get it to pop into place.
    If that doesn't work, go to the LBS and buy some Dumonde Tech Lite. It is a lubricant that you can easily apply to the tire bead and this has always worked for me as a last resort.
    Another thing that may help would be to use a larger air compressor with higher capacity. If you can go to the LBS and use theirs, you could blast the tire up to 80 or so to help force it into place.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    get rid of the Stan's strip, Use Gorilla tape and a stem. Install the tape, cut the hole for the stem and put a tube in... pump it up to like 40-50 lbs and leave over night (go for a ride even better) pop one side of the tire and remove the tube, install the stem and re inflate.

Conti tires are know for being small and stretching out. ( I use them pretty much exclusively now) New tire I almost always have to set one side of the bead with a tube first.

Also usually run a Q-tip with sealant around the bead I'll be leaving on to help it seal up and "lock" on .. after sitting over night the sealant drys and kinda glues the bead in place. I do this because I'm not using UST tires or rims though...

having only one side the small compressor has to fight to get seated will help a lot!!
    Last edited by thomllama; 08-21-2012 at 02:54 AM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I tried the soap and no go. I think being a looser fit on the rim being a larger volume maybe my big problem. I installed a tube tonight so I'll let it sit overnight and try it again tomorrow.

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think your best bet would be to use UST rims with your UST tires.

mtbr member
    Well I give!! No go with these tires with my setup. Never had a tire not bead to the rim before like this. Back to the shop they go and I'll pick up another set of Captains. If I can't air them up on the trail there worthless!!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    are you removing the core before airing up?

and as to the "airing up on the trail" always carry a tube... usually if a tubeless goes flat what ever caused it is beyond just adding air anyway and will need a tube to get you back home.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I removed the Stans rim strip and installed the tube. I installed the tube and before inflating brushed some sealant on one side of the bead. Inflated and let sit overnigt. Deflated the tube and re-installed the rim strip. And still no luck. The tire simply is to large on the rim and won't seat.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Tried a shot of CO2 yet?
    Get it unlocked.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by tailwaters View Post
    I removed the Stans rim strip and installed the tube. I installed the tube and before inflating brushed some sealant on one side of the bead. Inflated and let sit overnigt. Deflated the tube and re-installed the rim strip. And still no luck. The tire simply is to large on the rim and won't seat.
    You need to remove the core of the stem on the Stan's strip, This will triple the volume of air and should seat it for you

mtbr member
    Well I took them to the LBS and he said no problem! Never had a set that he could not get to seat. That was until today ... Oh well no big deal I ordered a set of 2.2 Fast Tracks. Always had good luck with my Specialized tires (minus the S-Works, I think S is for sucks).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OMZ View Post
    I think your best bet would be to use UST rims with your UST tires.
    Pretty sure OMZ nailed it. Stick with non-UST tires if you're trying to run ghetto tubeless.

mtbr member
    Could be right. I've always had true UST rims on my 26. I've read in the past its hit or miss with the conversions. Thats why I figured I'd stay with Specialized as I know they work.

mtbr member
    I just mounted up my non UST Race King 2.2 to my new stan's arch rims and did it with a floor pump and some soap.....sealed up perfectly...

mtbr member
    Interesting. I was thinking the UST would run smaller than the non UST tires?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Using UST tires on non UST rims will not help. In fact, the bead will not be as good of a fit on the rim as standard tires would be. Doesn't really matter much, but that's not the issue unless you're losing air through the sidewalls. Your problem with the loose tire is that it needs more tape. It's possible the bead is damaged. Also, whoever suggested putting in more than 40 psi is giving you bad advice. The tire can blow off the rim over 40 psi. It might not, but it happens.

mtbr member
    I've owned several UST rims in the past as well as non UST rims with the rims strips. I know it's a hit or miss with the non UST rims with tires seating up. The fact is these just seemed to be too large in diameter to ever seal up. Meaning I could slip them over the rim by had with little force. Again not a big deal just a tire I'll chaulk up as a no go. To be honest if I can't air iot up with a pump I'm not interested anyhow. Last thing I want is to burp a tire (which does happen from time to time) and be able to air it up with my hand pump to get me back to the car.