mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Conti MK II UST - black chili or not

So I just bought the MK II UST in 2.4 with the belief they have black chili in them(according to the description). But the tire is labeled made in taiwan and there's no black chili label on it. Can anyone tell me how I can tell it it's black chili or not?

If it matters, I got it from jenson.
    Continental Mountain King II UST Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Continental Bicycle -Mountain King 2.4

mtbr member
    just got a pair of X-kings racesport, they have made in Germany on them, as far as I know they are black chilli but they dont actually say black chilli on them! At the price listed in your link I would expect the black chilli version.
    'keep the mission alive!'

mtbr member
    Looking at the X-kings description on jensons site shows the x-king UST is not black chilli,
    Continental X-King 26" Folding Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

not sure if thats across the board?
    Anyone?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sankaman View Post
    So I just bought the MK II UST in 2.4 with the belief they have black chili in them(according to the description). But the tire is labeled made in taiwan and there's no black chili label on it. Can anyone tell me how I can tell it it's black chili or not?

If it matters, I got it from jenson.
    Continental Mountain King II UST Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

If it has "Made in Germany" on the sidewall it is Black Chili.
    If not, it is not.
    Conti does not use a BC label at all.

Made in Taiwan, never BC.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Thanks Shiggy

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Black Chili Compound is the key to performance in the Continental Mountain King II UST, delivering greater grip and durability with less rolling resistance. The Black Chili Compound in combination with the tread provides a fast tire with great traction.

The generous volume allows the King to roll swiftly and provides loads of traction and direct steering response. In fast corners the outer lugs are ramped to provide support that even in the most adverse conditions provide security.
    So this description is a load of crap they made up and not a manufacturer's description?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sankaman View Post
    So this description is a load of crap they made up and not a manufacturer's description?
    Yes Jenson made that description up. No where does Continental advertise the MK UST as using Black Chili.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mountain King II: 3 plies / total 84 tpi
    Mountain King II Protection: 4 plies / total 240 tpi / Black Chili Compound
    Mountain King II RaceSport: 3 plies / total 180 tpi / Black Chili Compound
    Mountain King II UST: 3 plies / total 330 tpi
    Mountain King II 29 inch: 3 plies / total 84 tpi

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just bought a MK II 2.4 ProTection (not UST) and the box says "Hand Made in Germany with Black Chili Compound".

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    As is the consensus in many thread right now, Continental's conventions are insane. For instance, Continental's website explicitly states a 2.2 UST Rubber Queen (Trail king in NA) has black chili/APEX. Competitive cyclist explicitly states that the 2.4 UST Trail King has black chili/APEX, but 2.2 DOES NOT. Meanwhile, I explicitly state that Continental needs to get their Sh!t straight.

2012 Continental Trail King UST 26 Tire - Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Continental has everything straight in their catalog. It is the vendors who don't have everything straight...

altazo
    To my knowledge the only UST tires Conti makes in Germany and that feature Black Chilli are the 2.2 and 2.4 Trail Kings.

I am uncertain of the country of origin of the new Baron UST. I'm interested in checking one of those out...

Edit : If you had the UST version it would absolutely say "tubeless " on the sidewall. Country of origin will tell you if it's BC or not.