mtbr member

Conti Explorer Protection

I was looking for a lighter set of tires for my HT so I read the reviews, asked a few questions, and decided on the Contis.
    When I got them, they looked a little skinny, and the knobs didn't look manly enough to hook up on anything.
    But I slapped them on the bike, pumped them up and rode.
    The first ride was OK, but I couldn't really evaluate them cuz 90% of that ride was through running streams.
    The next ride would be a better test. Lotsa rocks, and hardpack.
    Loved them on hardpack but I thought they were awful on rocks.
    They bounced me all over the place and I fell a few times because of it.
    I decided that I hated them and was gonna switch back to my IRC's and just give the Contis to somebody.
    But, I couldn't see wasting all that money (most expensive tires I'd ever bought)
    So I decided to take a little air out of them, give them one more chance, and hope I didn't pinch flat. I went from 40 to 38 PSI; that was the magic pressure for me.
    I hit some rocks really hard with not one pinch flat. I've got a pretty beefy tube in the rear and a Performance Super Light tube up front. The tires really hook up on hardpack. On fast gravelly downhills, front and rear both slide together, very predictably. An added bonus, since the tires are thinner than anything I've used in the past, they're awesome in the mud, and the small knobs don't pack up. Finally, they're excellent on rocks; very secure grip, and no squishy knobs to make handling imprecise.
    Overall, some of the best tires I've ever used.
    Lenny

yog-sothoth
    huh... my experience with these tires was almost entirely the opposite of yours. I felt they were OK in the techy rock stuff but they always felt like they wanted to go the completely opposite direction I wanted them to in hardpack and/or cornering. I played around with the PSI quite a bit and never found a setting that worked for me.

Oh well... if they work for you that's all that matters.
    On the morning of December 28th, Violet Kray received an official telegram from the governor of Winchester Gaol:

"Your son Ronald Kray is certified insane."

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny
    I was looking for a lighter set of tires for my HT so I read the reviews, asked a few questions, and decided on the Contis.
    When I got them, they looked a little skinny, and the knobs didn't look manly enough to hook up on anything.
    But I slapped them on the bike, pumped them up and rode.
    The first ride was OK, but I couldn't really evaluate them cuz 90% of that ride was through running streams.
    The next ride would be a better test. Lotsa rocks, and hardpack.
    Loved them on hardpack but I thought they were awful on rocks.
    They bounced me all over the place and I fell a few times because of it.
    I decided that I hated them and was gonna switch back to my IRC's and just give the Contis to somebody.
    But, I couldn't see wasting all that money (most expensive tires I'd ever bought)
    So I decided to take a little air out of them, give them one more chance, and hope I didn't pinch flat. I went from 40 to 38 PSI; that was the magic pressure for me.
    I hit some rocks really hard with not one pinch flat. I've got a pretty beefy tube in the rear and a Performance Super Light tube up front. The tires really hook up on hardpack. On fast gravelly downhills, front and rear both slide together, very predictably. An added bonus, since the tires are thinner than anything I've used in the past, they're awesome in the mud, and the small knobs don't pack up. Finally, they're excellent on rocks; very secure grip, and no squishy knobs to make handling imprecise.
    Overall, some of the best tires I've ever used.
    Lenny
    Glad you experimented with different pressures. Every tire has a different pressure sweet spot and it can vary with the rider (weight, riding style, bike setup...).

It can be amazing what a few PSI higher or lower can do.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I am the law
    May 2006
    I've found that the Contis wear out quickly. I had to change 'em mid season last year due to knobs breaking off and a gash in tire from going through some sharp stuff. I'm running Rampages now and so far I've been pleased with 'em.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just put the conti explorer UST's on.

Start at 50 psi, way to high, So hard the knobs vibrated on the pavement.

Tried 45 psi, the cornering of the front is the best I have ever had, was a little skeptical of the rear, casue of small knobs.

But a cleaned a steep uphill with muc that I have never gotten even dry, wow.

I guess I will try 40 psi now.

I'll start back on the rocks this weekend and see, hopefully the sidewalls hold up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Glad you experimented with different pressures. Every tire has a different pressure sweet spot and it can vary with the rider (weight, riding style, bike setup...).

It can be amazing what a few PSI higher or lower can do.
    Crossmarks being the perfect example of this, most people I've spoken to find them scary above 35 psi or so. Below that (around 30 or so) they seem to start gripping in corners!