mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Conti 2.4 vs 2.2, Minion DHF?

Hi. After going nuts reading all king of reviews and tread about tire I would like some suggestion... My bike is Trek Fuel ex 8 with Bontrager Race Disc Tubless wheels.

I think i'm gonna make a move and buy Conti Trail King UST 2.2 as a back tire. Up front, I wonder if Trail King 2.2 would be ok or should I go with 2.4 despite adding 200+ grams. I've also look at Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3 but can you run this tire tubeless? Also ther's so many version of this tire that I would not know wich one to order!!

I typically ride all kind of terrain from hard pack, single with rocks/roots, loose rocks on hard pack all in the same day! I do a lot of climbing hense downhill as well. Since my bike as "only" 100mm of travel, I don't mind extra weight/rolling resistance for my front tire...

Any other suggestion would be appreciated... I have to order on internet so I'm sometime puzzled by all the different version of the same tire...
    Last edited by LewisQC; 07-29-2013 at 12:11 PM.

mountain biker
    I have experience with the DHF front, but not the Trail King. I have Conti X-King on the rear, went from a 2.2 to a 2.4. I'm going to say that the 2.2 Trail King on the rear is probably not a bad bet, but would suggest a Schwalbe Hans Dampf for the front. It's a good all rounder, and relatively light, and sets up tubeless really well. From your name, I'm going to guess you live and ride in Quebec. I ride there too (the Gatineau hills are home for me). I really like the HD as a front tire. You'll have to choose between trailstar and pacestar compound. trailstar is the "stickier" of the two, but will wear out faster. I've had a pacestar in the front for almost two seasons, and it's been great. You'll also have to decide on whether you want the "supergravity" or "snakeskin" casing. I would say the Snakeskin casing is a better match to the ProTection casing on the Continentals.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks Slyfink. I live Quebec City as you guessed... I spent 3 years in gatineau in the early '90. Really liked it. Probably 3-4 more weeks of warm temperature compared to Quebec City! Not bad for mountain biking!

I've read a lot of good reviews about Schwalbe Hans Dampf. I was a little draw back by the price tag and some concern about premature wear especially at the back but buying just one for front is not that bad! Even saw some combo front/rear HD/TK, so it seems like a good choice.

Thanks for advices

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Conti 2.4 vs 2.2, Minion DHF?

I run conti mountain king 2.4 in the front and a matching 2.2 in the rear and love it. However I am running tubes at 34-36lbs and have a 2.4 tubeless ardent I'm waiting to pick up.

I love the 2.2 however, a lot. I'm just wanting to try tubeless and a bigger rear.

Go for the 2.2.

I'm with stupid
    Dont run the Hans Dampf if you want it to last, I started ripping side knobs off after onle a couple weeks. I now run the Trail king 2.2 rear ust and the 2.4 front ust both in black chili compound. They wear great and roll and work very well on pretty much everything to include when it gets wet. If I were to do it again I would get the same tires but in the protection version 2.4 front 2.2 rear black chili on both to save some weight. The KEY to these tires is making sure you get the black chili compound. Its that damn good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Dont run the Hans Dampf if you want it to last, I started ripping side knobs off after onle a couple weeks. I now run the Trail king 2.2 rear ust and the 2.4 front ust both in black chili compound. They wear great and roll and work very well on pretty much everything to include when it gets wet. If I were to do it again I would get the same tires but in the protection version 2.4 front 2.2 rear black chili on both to save some weight. The KEY to these tires is making sure you get the black chili compound. Its that damn good.
    I guess the Trail King 2.4 up front will have to wait cause I ordered one 2.2 et one Hans Dampf yesterday! I'm happy though cause I chose the Protection version of the TK with Black Chili after I did my homework on the net!! "UST-like without the weight" is good to me.

I'm not too concerned about premature wear... We have at least 4-5 month of snow on the the ground so that tire should last for a while!

mountain biker
    Regarding wear, they seem to have changed something in the tire. I have my first pair of Hans Dampf hanging in my basement. They were from the first batch, I got them really early. The side knobs are all torn off as described by hitechredneck, and this after only about 6 weeks of riding (2x/week). The rear tire is definitely worse than the tire that was on the front. However... I have two buddies, one of whom is a total ripper - races downhill and rides a Slash for a trail bike - who've had the Trailstar Hans Dampf front and rear for the better part of three months now, and the tires still look almost new. Schwalbe must have tweaked something in the compound or construction of the tire because it's a night and day difference with my tires, and he shreds way harder than I do...

All this to say, I think Lewis will be fine with the HD...

mtbr member
    HD's are also available in a harder (read - longer wearing at the expense of some traction) "performance" compound at a much lower cost. Even so, the Trail King in a 2.4 is a better tire for cornering in loose over hardpack. Redneck's advice is solid. Personally I prefer a 2.5 DHF for the front. I sold my HD before it was totally destroyed; hated the round profile for high speed cornering but to each their own.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I used to do HD 2.35 Pacestar up front with a TK 2.2 UST BC in the back. Bike is a Blur LT, terrain is Wasatch in Utah.
    Climbed well, rolling resistance was quite good. Braking left a touch to be desired. But I found as I got to be a better rider, the HD would seem to wash out a bit more than I liked in higher speed turns, especially switchbacks. Add in our moondust/sand conditions when it gets uber dry, and it would almost always wash out. Could be my poor technique, skills. I dunno.
    Switched to a TK 2.4 up front and this has mostly gone away.

The HD is a good tire, but I think the trail needs to be firmer, a bit more tacky, for it to work properly.

mountain biker
    Quebec doesnt have much "loose over hard" or moondust/sand. Most natural trails (i.e. not purpose-built mountain bike trails) are muddy and rooty, over granite bedrock and decomposing granite. Square profile tires don't work too well here because you can't really "set and edge and rail a corner". I find they tend to give out very suddenly and unexpectedly. Ive tried a number of square profile tires (Eskar, DHF, Moto to name a few that come to mind quickly) , and I've found I do better with rounder profile tires in general. The only exception being on groomed trails, but groomed trails up here usually means multi-use pathways made of crushed stone and gravel and I avoid those like the plague!

I find the HD to work pretty well up here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well I think either tire would be great improvement since my front is actually Maxxis wormdrive 1.9, pretty amazing tire to go fast with a lot of grip for its design but not really your first choice for trail riding!!! So I'll see how it goes with the HD but I know now that TK2.4 would be a good choice up front if I want something different.

Thank you all

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Finally received my tires... I wasn't able to find them in LBSs in my town so ordered them online. Shipping was really expensive, then the package got stocked at customs for more than a week. Plus I had to pay 45$ of custom charge!!!!

Anyway, my bike looks like a monster truck now... I'm wondering though what should be the minimum clearance in between my front tire and the arch of my front suspension... Right now, I'd say it's around 1/4 of an inch meseared near side knobs, maybe a little more. Rooling on pavement or grass was ok...

I'm with stupid
    Should be just fine unless it gets sticky muddy.

mountain biker
    If you go back to Specialized's marketing materials from 2008-9 (I think), back when they had their dual crown future shock on the Enduro, you would learn that having the arch so close to the tire is good because it cuts the mud off the tire to keep it clean.

on a more serious note, have you ridden on it yet? how do you like it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have to say I'm pretty pleased with my choice, even with the extra cash I spent on shipping/duty!! The HD was pretty easy set tubeless. Just mount it on my rim, inflate with my floor pump and it pop into place without apparent leak (stayed inflated for 2 days without sealant). The conti needed a 4h inflation with inner tube to get his shape cause I wasn't able to inflate it out of the box. After that it was easy.

I rode my bike for 20km in different kind of terrain/trail. Large uphill trail with lots of loose rocks, tigh rooty single track, a little transition on unpaved road, technical DH single with roots/bridge, etc. My new tires seems to handle every bit terrain quite well. It almost felt like I was riding a different bike (but lets face it, it's still a heavy 31 pounds cross-country bike!!!). The HD added a lot of stability mostly DH but also on technical flat and even going uphill as I was able to roll over rocks/roots easily. Traction of the Conti TK2.2 was really good. It provided lots of grip.

It was really dry though so I cannot say about how everything will perform on wet/muddy trail but so far I'm very pleased. Thank you all for your advices

Crappy pictures with my cellphone...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Should be just fine unless it gets sticky muddy.
    yep, my rear tire has clearance like that and it's perfectly fine in dry conditions.