mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Cone Tool needed for King Hub?

I just bought my first Chris King Hubs. Do I need to buy that cone wrench tool to adjust the bearing preload, or can the preload be adjusted without it? Thanks.
    Kindacreeky,
    Tennessee Singletrac Sculpter

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by kindacreeky
    I just bought my first Chris King Hubs. Do I need to buy that cone wrench tool to adjust the bearing preload, or can the preload be adjusted without it? Thanks.
    Just two 5mm allen wrenches. Remove the quick release skewer and stick an allen wrench in each end. Did you get them new? They should come with a manual. Also check the Chris King website.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Yes I got them new.

I assumed that the 5 mm hex would tighten the stack, after the preload was adjusted by twisting the outer cone shaped piece that has those four cylindrical detents. CK dealers sell a $25 tool that allows easy twist of that part. I assume that you can twist this with just your fingers tight enough? And you don't really need the tool? thanks for help.

QUOTE=tigerdog]Just two 5mm allen wrenches. Remove the quick release skewer and stick an allen wrench in each end. Did you get them new? They should come with a manual. Also check the Chris King website.[/QUOTE]
    Kindacreeky,

born again

You're right..

I assumed that the 5 mm hex would tighten the stack, after the preload was adjusted by twisting the outer cone shaped piece that has those four cylindrical detents. CK dealers sell a $25 tool that allows easy twist of that part. I assume that you can twist this with just your fingers tight enough? And you don't really need the tool? thanks for help.

QUOTE=tigerdog]Just two 5mm allen wrenches. Remove the quick release skewer and stick an allen wrench in each end. Did you get them new? They should come with a manual. Also check the Chris King website.
    [/QUOTE]

You don't need that tool. Just use your fingers to set the preload, which is very little.
    Last edited by gearz; 02-18-2006 at 08:25 AM.
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by gearz
    You don't need that tool. Just use your fingers to set the preload, which is very little.
    Very true. I'm surprised they'd even make a tool for that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Thanks Guys

Thats what i figured.
    Kindacreeky,

Do It Yourself
    Thats what i figured.
    The only time you would need the tool is if the preload adjust ring is stuck on the axel cap. It happened to my buddy. The tool was less than $10 back then.
    Long Live Long Rides

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    IMO, the tool is needed. Just like with any kind of locknut, you need to hold the adjustement nut while you tighten the locknut against it. There is no way to hold the adjusting nut on the king hubs without the tool. If you set the correct load with your fingers, then try to tighten the locknut against it, just as the locknut comes in contact with the adjusting nut, it will start to turn it resulting in too much load on the bearings. The tool makes it much easier.