mtbr member

Compare Specy Purgatory to Captain

Anyone have a good comparison (their opinion after riding both as a front tire)? Sizes would be 29x2.2 Purg and 29x2.2 Capt.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

banned
    Love my Purg - hate the Capt. Front end cornering bite with the Purg is outstanding, the Capt washes out constantly when I push it.

mtbr member
    Just look at the tread patterns. The captain is lower profile, less aggressive and faster rolling. Whereas the purgatory is more aggressive, higher profile and slower rolling (even though the new FEA redesign is meant to minimise that).

What that means is that the purg is a lot nicer in aggressive cornering. I have yet to wash the purg front out, whereas the captain would wash out occasionally when least expected. I am sure I will wash the purg out one day, but so far it is far more pleasant than the captain up front. Still run a captain on the back though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ....I've had good luck with a Captain Control on the front of my Epic.
    I'm running tubeless at 25 pounds and I weigh in at 170 pounds. I ride dry SoCal - Central Cal trails with loose over hard packed/rocky surfaces. I use it for XC racing as a Cat 3 rider. Someone more aggressive/talented may have different results but I'm a fan of The Captain.

Bill J.
    Last edited by specbill; 12-31-2012 at 08:45 AM.

mtbr member
    I really think I will pick one up and try it.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Captain as a front tire? There are several tires I ilike better up front. As a rear tire it's decent enough, but I like the Specialized Ground Control better. The new 2.3" Purgatory is an excellent front tire, with less rolling resistance than the old 2.2" Purgatory (and they are very close, if not, the same width). This for me on the local SoCal trails. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I use the captian 29x2.0 as my front race and every day tire. The purgatory is nice for every day trail riding but slower and heavy for a race tire unless you need that extra traction to ride smooth. I used the ground control up front before and it doesn't corner near as well as the captian. But rides good as a back tire. However, I usually ride the fastrak or renagade as a back tire. I also run very wide AM carbon rims which set the tire up wider without having to run a heavier wider tire.

Something to consider is vision and body position has more to do with handling than the type of tire. Good riders can ride most any tire and make it stick but most of us need some extra bite up front to give us a margin of error.
    A friend of mine runs ground control up front and back and his bike sticks like glue...but he is a top finisher in cat 1 and competiatve at the pro level. So compairing both of us, he skills have more to do with handling than our tires.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Anyone have a good comparison (their opinion after riding both as a front tire)? Sizes would be 29x2.2 Purg and 29x2.2 Capt.
    i used both pretty extensively for XC/AM riding, lots of rock and muck included...

i definitely prefer Purgatory over Captain - particularly as a front tire. way more traction and way more predictable. Captain will not give you much warning before it washes out, unlike the Purgatory.

Captain is a bit faster though - if it matters to you.

I'd still use Purgatory as the difference in speed will be well compensated by being able to carry more speed through corners with them.

In my experience - they also held pressure better.

sock puppet
    +1 on Ground Control as well.... good call.