Thread: CO2 vs pump

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

CO2 vs pump

I'm laid up and have too much time to read this forum so here's a stupid question. I'm building a 29'er up with an assortment of stuff I've got laying around. I was going to put a mini pump on the frame for flats but wondered about a CO2 inflater instead. I used to carry one when I raced back in the day but it seems like they were always finicky in my hands, be it the heat of battle or just idiocy. My question is will one cartridge inflate a 29'er tire (2.2) enough to ride home? I really hate stroking a pump about 300 times to inflate a flat (I'm know there's comments about that line!)! I will be running tubeless (my first foray into that) and there are lots of thorns on my trails. Any advice would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    An Innovations Big Air will be enough to inflate a 29er. I've used them before and there's more than enough air in there. FWIW on rides I take both a Big Air and a pump. If it's a race or I am in a hurry, I'll use the Big Air. If I just burped the tire and need a little more air or feel like taking the time to use a pump, I'll use it.

mtbr member

CO2 is the way to go man, although I urge you to carry a second cartridge (if smaller). My right wrist is super-developed, , but you will appreciate the lack of effort, and maybe weight.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    There are some improved mini hand pumps out there, but CO2 is still much quicker. You may be able get away with the smaller cartridges if you run real low pressure, but you will probably need the bigger ones for a 29er, and they are expensive if you use them often. I use a CO2 pump for my 26er that takes the unthreaded 12g cartridges that you can purchase by the case to save money. Two of those are cheaper than most big cartridges, but not as easy. I also carry a Lezyne mini hand pump for extra long rides in the middle of nowhere. The Camelback makes it easier to carry both.

mtbr member
    Air is free and will never run out. You can pump up tires all day. CO2 just seems like such a waste unless you're racing and time matters. The high volume mini pumps are pretty quick.

mtbr member
    I've have a plastic Crank bros mini-pump that has lasted about 8 years so far and has probably inflated well over 100 tires. It takes only a few minutes for me to inflate a 29 X 2.3 tire with it and isn't a whole lot bigger than an Innovations big air.

I'd reserve Co2 for race situations where seconds may matter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I hear you about the free air. The last time I used an inflater was in a race about 10 years ago- used 3 cartridges, still had a flat tire as well as a bad attitude about inflaters (actually shouldn't use something the first time in a race!). I have used numerous frame pumps since then including the Crank Bros. and some have been better than others. Are there any frame mount mini pumps out there that work better than others. I have seen some cool mini pumps that lend themselves to Camelbacks but I don't always wear one. In my world, there is no excuse not to be.able to fix a flat. It seems every time I'm unprepared for one, I get bit on the hiney!