mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Clueless about tubeless!

I bought a box of parts from a friend for a bikie I'm putting together and it included a set of Bontrager tubeless rims and tires, about 1.5 years old. They have minimal wear but have been off the bike for probably 4 months. I'm not sure what was used in them for sealant. Should I take the tires off, clean, and recharge or just ride and not worry. I have never bought into the tubeless parade. I'm such a luddite that I resisted clipless, disc brakes, and suspension, and these things are all good.
    My trails are very thorny so tubeless is probably a good idea but I've ridden with a couple off guys who have had the tires roll off the rim. I've always put Stan's in my tubes.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    I'd take the tires off the rims, scrub any dried sealant from both, and then re-mount, add new sealant, and air 'em up.

If your trails have lots of goatheads or other sharp objects, you will enjoy the peace of mind that a good tubeless setup offers.

As for tires rolling off rims, I think that's usually the result of railing too hard on underinflated rubber. Experiment and find the PSI that works for you--too much and it'll be too bouncy; too little and you'll increase rolling resistance and risk a burp.

Happy trails,

HDP