mtbr member

Cleaning tubeless sealant from a tire

I won a pair of WTB Vulpine tires off Ebay. Tires were used on a tubeless set-up for a few rides; they're in good condition otherwise. However, the seller didn't really bother to clean them. The insides have a whitish gum. I guess this is the sealant. I'm new to tubeless, so I was wondering what is the best way to clean this goo off?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ......its probably dried up Stan's which is a liquid Latex-based sealant...try using warm water and dish-washing soap......but if its really dried up you are out of luck.......the only way to get rid if it is using paint thinner but that will most likely also damage the tire so I wouldn't use that...

having the dried-up sealant in there is not gonna hurt anyway, just put a tube in there and ride.......

Former Bike Wrench
    A stiff nylon brush with hot soapy water will remove most of the dried up sealant. I would powder your tubes to keep them from sticking to any residual sealant.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by djork
    I won a pair of WTB Vulpine tires off Ebay. Tires were used on a tubeless set-up for a few rides; they're in good condition otherwise. However, the seller didn't really bother to clean them. The insides have a whitish gum. I guess this is the sealant. I'm new to tubeless, so I was wondering what is the best way to clean this goo off?

Why clean it of at all???

It probably is sealant, and will still seal the tire to some extent.