mtbr member
    Jun 2011

CK Service tools

I have 2 sets of wheels with CK hubs. One is okay, the other is in need of servicing. Front hub bearings are shot. These are 2 of many bikes, and wont see tons of use. Should I have them done , or buy the tools to do them.
    I would be suprised if there were a shop within 60 miles that has the tools.
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    if you don't use the bikes much it's probably cheaper to get them done. it also depends on if someone is close and has the tool. If it's 60 miles before a shop has the tool, figure in the cost of your time (two trips) in addition to the service cost. in that case it may be cheaper to buy the tool. consider then you'd have the tool for future servicing too (it'd probably pay for itself after you service 4 hubs). I got a used one for I think 2/3 the price of new. really a very satisfying tool to use. keep in mind they have a different tool for R45 hubs but I'm assuming you don't need that since you're posting on mtbr and not rbr.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you have a shop that has the tools, they have to have someone who is competent to do it.

I have one and use it on my CK hub 2 times a yr. I do ride a lot. It's pretty easy if you are half mech inclined and can follow video instructions.

You can regrease the bearings without the tools. If they are shot, then you need the tool and replacements. They are like $30 each.

If you work on your own bike now, I'd just get the tool. Look online for deals and discounts. Some places like UniversalCycles give like 10% off at checkout if you buy 150 or more.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.