Tough Guy Extraordinaire

CK Hub Wobble, HELP!

Ok, here's the issue. I have a set of CK hubs on a 2007 SC Superlight. I have had the hubs for about a year. I ride 2 days a week on fairly rock single track, so they take a pretty decent beating. I tightened them after the break-in period, according to the recommendations. Until recently, they ruled!

Within the last month, I pulled them apart to clean and lube the ring drive. They went back together fine, but now I have this looseness in the rear. It's not like the hub is loose, but there is some wobble coming from the wheel. When you grab the wheel, you can move it around pretty easy. I have tightened the hub as much as I can by hand and without over tightening it.

Any ideas? I would really like to aviod taking this to my LBS or sending it back to King.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack
    Ok, here's the issue. I have a set of CK hubs on a 2007 SC Superlight. I have had the hubs for about a year. I ride 2 days a week on fairly rock single track, so they take a pretty decent beating. I tightened them after the break-in period, according to the recommendations. Until recently, they ruled!

Within the last month, I pulled them apart to clean and lube the ring drive. They went back together fine, but now I have this looseness in the rear. It's not like the hub is loose, but there is some wobble coming from the wheel. When you grab the wheel, you can move it around pretty easy. I have tightened the hub as much as I can by hand and without over tightening it.

Any ideas? I would really like to aviod taking this to my LBS or sending it back to King.
    I know it involves spending $, but I would suggest going to the HD axle & preload collar. This will probably require you to go to funbolts, or perhaps you could go to the new 10mm through axle option and use a DT RWS QR skewer.

Keep in mind the funbolts & HD axle weigh about teh same as a standard axle and shimano QR. The funbolts will stiffen the back end of yoru bike up quite a bit.

I'm throwin' this out because I always had issues with a slight amount of slop with my king hub, and drag when backpedaling. Those problems went away when I got the HD axle. The HD axle is a lot easier to preload precisely and lock so it stays that way.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    About how much cash would this cost and would I be able to transition from a standard ISO rear into this?

Even if I fix the wobble, the tighter rear sounds like a good deal!

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    One more question. Looked into this on the CK website and all I could find were the fun bolts. It looks like I can pull out the threaded end caps on my rear and plug the fun bolts in, correct?

Or it also looks like I may be better with something like a Hadley unviersal 10mm rear.

Any opinions?

Your hub just needs to be readjusted, normal after service, just reset your preload to get rid of the play.

Doubt anything from Hadley would work, but not sure.

Here's some pricing info http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Mercha...y_Code=CKAXLES
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Do you have any idea what the weight difference would be between the HD w/ fun bolts and a standard QR would be?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack
    Do you have any idea what the weight difference would be between the HD w/ fun bolts and a standard QR would be?
    HD axle with funbolts weights about the same as the regular axle with a shimano QR.

Bikinfoolferlife is right, really your hub just needs to be adjusted. However the HD axle & collars make it a lot easier to get "perfect preload" (i.e. no slop, no drag). I definitely noticed a huge improvement in these areas, as well as rear end stiffness, when I switched. You have to call to order the parts, they are not super cheap, but installation is easy.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Thanks!