Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Circus Monkey hubs

What is your opinion on Circus Monkey's? What's the weight for rear hub? They quoted me $90 for rear hub only, seems pretty cheap but what about quality?
    08 Rush 4 - 650B
    10 Synapse 5 Carbon

mtbr member
    i took a chance on them. been running them since August of '10.

initial perception:
    * light - I don't recall if i did actually weigh them or not. but they aren't far off the claimed weight - if at all.
    * smooth
    * machine work is very "blingy"
    * normal engagement of the freehub. 3 pawl design - compare to mid level shimano
    * free hub pawls very dry out of the box ( i lubed them up after about 100 miles)
    * easy to service and easy to rebuild (NBK sealed bearings from factory and the free hub body can be removed w/out tools and w/ cassette still on)

after about 1200 miles i heard a noise i didn't like from the rear hub. i took them apart and found some dents in the machined surface of the freehub body between each pawl. these dents match the ratchet teeth of the hub shell.

I don't yet know how the freehub moved in relation to hub shell to cause this. maybe the axle material is too soft and allowed the movement? Maybe a bearing is starting to fail and allowed "slop"? maybe the axel is out of spec and the tolerance inside the bearing is not tight enough? i don't yet know.

what to do? well, i email the manufacturer in Taiwan and after sending some pictures they advised me the original seller (ebay purchase) will help me. I emailed the seller and they are indeed sending me a replacement. Translation was a little off - so I don't yet know what I'll get (free hub, complete hub, or complete hub set).

all my emails were answered quickly and there was no hesitation to assist.

long term durability is still an unknown.

i do ride hard. not that i'm abusive to my gear, but i don't baby it either. i weigh in around 175 lbs and have the hubs laced up to 29er's on a steel hardtail.

rob

mtbr member
    Good review

I think i'll give the rear hub a try (front is lefty)..... They claim 277gr wich is pretty light and price is not bad either ($90 shipped).

Not sure there is something as good as this for this price...

Thanks
    08 Rush 4 - 650B
    10 Synapse 5 Carbon

SIngletrack Mind

Finger hovering over the BUY button

Wish there were some more reviews out there, but I just ordered my rims so there's no turning back!

These look very similar to the WTB/American Classic hubs... what are the chances they're all close cousins?

mtbr member
    thinking about getting a rear hub, any more info on these?
    Large Niner One9 w/Niner carbon fork
    Large El Mariachi Ti Lefty equipped

SIngletrack Mind

Just got mine in

after an apology for a delay during the Chinese New Year break. They are very light indeed - I don't have an accurate scale for low weights, but I'd say they're near advertised weight. Nice finish - good anodizing, no rough spots or tool marks. No instructions, just a business card that says "NO NOT USE FOR OFF ROAD RIDING OR BMX! FOR GENERAL ROAD RIDING ONLY!" Hah, sad to see that included with a pair of MTB hubs, but I think even Trek and Specialized have legalize like that in their manuals.

No QR skewers included. Guess it said that in the auction, but I didn't see it.

I was trying to figure out how to take apart the rear hub and - Shazam! It just pulls apart. The only thing holding this puppy together is the shear force of the rubber O-ring on the black, non-drive axel cap... and your QR skewer.

These are so light I'm thinking about using them with slick tires for Urban Assault action, before taking them into the rocks. Just... to make sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Circus Monkey hubs-cm-hub-medium-.jpg  

mtbr member
    good luck to you.

in the end, I did receive a new freehub body in the mail. the warranty was honored.

but, I instead laced the rim to a Hope Pro II. for my upcoming adventure, it gives me more piece of mind.

I have a red CM rear with brand new freehub body.... takers??

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I ordered and received two sets of these hubs. They are indeed light and look quite nice. They have a nice clicking sound that is not as loud as a Hope, but similar. Per my crappy scale they are slightly more than the 277g rear, and 115g front. I can't remember the individual weights but the total per my scale was around 420g, so not too bad for accuracy.

I won't be using these for myself but am building up a couple of sets of light 24" wheels for my two boys. These will be built on Alex ACE20 24" rims (approx 385g) which according to another MTBR member who did the same for his kids bike, built up to a very respectable 1450r - 1500g range.

My oldest should be able to use the 24" wheels this spring, my yougest might still be on his 20" wheeled bike this year. So I am hoping these hubs will take some abuse for the little ones and last a few years. Will post back some pictures and feedback once all is built up and ready to go.
    Last edited by rideitall; 02-23-2011 at 12:15 PM.

mtbr member
    I'll take it off your hands, PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by trebor_strebor
    good luck to you.

in the end, I did receive a new freehub body in the mail. the warranty was honored.

but, I instead laced the rim to a Hope Pro II. for my upcoming adventure, it gives me more piece of mind.

I have a red CM rear with brand new freehub body.... takers??

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Any newer reviews of these?

SIngletrack Mind
    Got my hubs, spent time with calipers going over the spoke length calculator making notes, ordered my spokes and they came out too long. D'oh! So... no review from me yet.

MaLóŒ˘*size=
    replace incuded bearings with stainless bearings with blue seals, and they will work properly on wet conditions or when cleaning the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hi, what some other long-term experience? I'm going to order this rear hub and I don't want to make a mistake. Thanks

mtbr member
    Don't.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sachase View Post
    Don't.
    Explain.

mtbr member
    they're just too fragile. They work great until they get wet, then they are toast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    no i dont

Short-Change-Hero
    Funny you say that... my brother just had a mechanic friend swear by these and had a new set of wheels built up for his TItus Carbon Racer-X. These things are pretty load and he seems to really like them, only had them for a few weeks so not sure about the durability. Got them REAL wet this weekend when riding the Flume, however my brother is only 150ish# and does not really abuse his bike (more of a XC racer type).
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

SIngletrack Mind

Built a set up

these are going on a forthcoming Pivot Mach 4, so I haven't ridden them yet. Flyweight Circus Monkey hubs, 350g Sun rims and alloy nips; sensible 32 hole, 3X 14/15 spokes all round. My completely unreliable scale says 1,475g. Happy with that for the low cost of admission. Next - to see how long they hold up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Circus Monkey hubs-circus-build-small-.jpg  

MattSavage
    Here's the hub dimensions if anyone needs them for a build...

"I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Short-Change-Hero
    My brother is still riding them and happy with them. I was thinking of taking a foray into build a rear wheel for the winter (something I can just throw a super knobby wet weather tire on) or use them as commuter rims. Plans are that next year (2013) I will start looking at a FS as the area immediately around my house is fine for a hardtail but venturing up into Tahoe I can see it warranting a FS. Figure I will do a frame up build again and might as well start with a new set of wheels that I built. But the problem is that most FS are starting to come with the thru-axle style rears which causes and issue here.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    I've put a ton of miles on a road set, and so far so good!

MattSavage
    I just ordered a set that I'll lace up to some 50mm carbon tubulars for a SSCX disc build I'm doing. Will report back in the longterm.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    I have a set of the newer "HDW2" coming. Looks like they changed flange diameters slightly and the freehub has 6 pawls vs. the older 3. Going to lace them to the light-bicycle AM carbon rims.
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

SIngletrack Mind
    Cool, maybe I'll nab a pair of those for a 29er. Just finished my taxes - the good news from that is I can order my Mach 4 now - and ride these wheels!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast