Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    If your lookn at 1300 & one other rider got 1800. These should wrk good for my build. I do not race. ever get air. I average 60 to 90 miles a mnth. Then miss out a few mnths do to bad weather. A set should get me 30 to 36mnths. Hmmmm. Maybe I will try to look more into the 3rd gen hub. How to get them. Maybe get a few hundred more miles

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here are they : CIRCUS MONKEY MTB HUB SET--HDW3 | eBay
    From the picture, they look more machined than generation 1 (that I own). They weight is impressive for the money ! From experience, quoted weights by Circus Monkey are rather accurate...
    Nice choice of colours and drillings

mtbr member
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Anyone manage to replace all the rear bearings? Mine is toast after an extremely muddy CX race.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My HDW2 set have been on my disc commuter for nearly a year now and the freehub bearing has just gone after 9000+km. Not bad I guess, don't fancy my chances of a warranty though?...
    This bearing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fabrice View Post
    Here are they : CIRCUS MONKEY MTB HUB SET--HDW3 | eBay
    From the picture, they look more machined than generation 1 (that I own). They weight is impressive for the money ! From experience, quoted weights by Circus Monkey are rather accurate...
    Nice choice of colours and drillings
    I see why I could not find them. That is not the US ebay. I never try looking in other countries. I need to more often.

mtbr member
    So now I am looking for spoke length info. I know when build DT Swiss on to my Crest 29er rims the spokes need to be 292 to 294 spoke length. But then American Classics on the Crest 29er rim takes 280 to 282 spoke length. I been lookig for info to match so I can find the length to buy. After a week of trying I decided to come back& ask if any one here knows there spoke length & is anyone running Arch or Crest rims with CM hubs

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by WerxRacing View Post
    So now I am looking for spoke length info. I know when build DT Swiss on to my Crest 29er rims the spokes need to be 292 to 294 spoke length. But then American Classics on the Crest 29er rim takes 280 to 282 spoke length. I been lookig for info to match so I can find the length to buy. After a week of trying I decided to come back& ask if any one here knows there spoke length & is anyone running Arch or Crest rims with CM hubs
    The dimensions of the new rear hub is in a photo on their facebook page, Notubes posts their ERD's on their website, there are several spoke calculators on the internets...

You can also contact them via their website if you need to know specifics... CIRCUS MONKEY
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Yea , I am on both there FB pages & go to the site often. All the info looks like 2.5 on end by cassette & 2.25 on other end. But wanted to be sure. It all looks confusing...LOL

FB1) https://www.facebook.com/CircusMonkeyPh/photos_stream

FB2) https://www.facebook.com/circusbike?ref=ts&fref=ts

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WerxRacing View Post
    Yea , I am on both there FB pages & go to the site often. All the info looks like 2.5 on end by cassette & 2.25 on other end. But wanted to be sure. It all looks confusing...LOL

FB1) https://www.facebook.com/CircusMonkeyPh/photos_stream

FB2) https://www.facebook.com/circusbike?ref=ts&fref=ts
    On FB2 pic gallery - black, disc, CM hubs with carbon centers - never seen these before, does anyone have info on these.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post

But, there are a number of people who continue to post about how "bullet-proof" these type of hub desings are. I can only assume they don't ride much and their wheels never leave the ground.

That would be somebody like my daughter; built her 24" wheels. Great choice for her. Light, works great.

Would I consider it for myself, mashing a long travel bike? No. I think that is quite obvious.

mtbr member
    If people are interested in the HDW3-carbon in the US. 199.oo & 20.oo to get them to you.
    Im talkn to a Shirley Ho that contacted me from one of the FB pages

159.00 + 20 shp HDW3

199.00 + 20 shp HDW3-carbon

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    What are the specs on the HDW3-carbon? Weight etc?

mtbr member
    I will ask Shirley

mtbr member
    She says 225.6 for the carbon hub. So same as regular. Jst looks cooler..lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Just got a set of the Circus Monkey HDW 3, 28 hole. Nice to see the weight claim is accurate. They came with QR skewers, which I figured would be heavy steel QR's. I was shocked when I dropped them on the scale and they were 45.9 grams. The magnet test revealed there Ti. I'm building my son a set of wheels for his new bike and these should be perfect as he's 76 lbs. I'm actually only using the rear hub as I needed a lightweight convertable QR/15mm TA, so I've got the A2Z XCF 15 front hub. The pic with the two hubs on the scale are these two hubs. The single hub pics are the CM hubs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Circus Monkey hubs-img_4813_1.jpg  

Circus Monkey hubs-img_4814_1.jpg  

Circus Monkey hubs-img_4815_1.jpg  

Circus Monkey hubs-img_4817_1.jpg  

Axe
    Custom User Title
    What I did not like was that thread for disk bolts were very loose. Had to use plenty of loctite.

Next time, even for a kids bike, I will get Novatecs, with 10/9 through axles..

Axe
    Custom User Title
    What I did not like was that thread for disk bolts were very loose. Had to use plenty of loctite.

Next time, even for a kids bike, I will get Novatecs, with 10/9 through axles..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Even after this thread, I built up a set with a crest front and an arch ex rear and the HDW3. I don't ride in a lot of muddy harsh conditions so hopefully the bearings will hold, but I will say the seals on the front are pretty much an afterthought and any crud they block will be incidental. The rear looks better as far as seals and it seems solid. The wheelset came out to about 700g front and 900g rear with DT db spokes so pretty happy about that. And with a set of project 321 anondized rims I gotta say they look nice and came out to around $600 a pair since I built them up myself.

Circus Monkey hubs-426516_10200655236374142_398956080_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Those are nice wheelsets. love the green

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hdh 12x142. Weighed in at 255. I added more grease. Kinda screwed up the pic. Each pawl has 3 contact points.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Grease isn't suited for pawl mechanisms. It makes them stick.
    Use Oil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    how are your hubs holding up?...thinking of building some wheels with these..i figure these are better than those AEST hubs..i've heard a lot of trouble from those.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast