Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    good info here. I'm going to order a set soon to build a racing wheelset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    Short term update:

I've got 10hrs on the HDW2 hub now. It has been working well. I am having a small issue with the free hub "banging" on engagement occasionally. The first couple of rides it did it ~5 times. I cleaned out all of the stock tacky grease and relubed with a very light film of sythetic grease. Since doing so, it has only made the noise once or less per ride. It only seems to do this when there is just the slightest pause of torque, as in pedaling along under light load, barely ease off the torque and right back on it. The freehub nevers ratchets prior to the noise. I thought it may be a drivetrain noise my geared bike, but I put the wheels on my ss and the noise followed the hub.

My theory is that more spring preload on the paws will fix the issue. I am currently looking for stiffer springs and have a few leads. I'm also looking at making springs similar to the Hope design from spring steel. The stock springs are really light.

Good news, I was mistaken about the ring gear being made from plastic. I just had the hub apart and the wear markings on the gear is conistent with steel. Grabbed a magnet and it stuck. These should be solid hubs if I can get the engagement issue solved.
    Put another 6hr on the CM hub since my last update. The noise I previously spoke off has all but disappeared. I never was able to determine for sure if it was the hub or not. I have also switched to using a light application of lube made from grease that I thinned with gear lube (approx 1 part grease:5 parts gear lube). I tried straight gear lube, but it quickly puked it out of the seal.

As someone previously noted, the freehub seal doesn't do much for blocking water. Every time I wash the bike, I pull the freehub and there is water inside. I let it air dry, lube the ring gear, and put it back together. Not a huge deal, but kind of a pain. The bearing in the freehub next to the ring gear is already slightly pitted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Can someone let me know if these front hub measurements are correct:

FRONT HUB HDW2
    left dia 38
    right dia 58
    left offset 37.5
    right offset 24

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    that corresponds to my measurements of the HDW. Accroding to the pictures, the HDW2 front hub is the same as the HDW.
    My measurements :
    Left Flange dia : 57.5
    Left Flange distance: 23.0
    Right Flange dia : 37.5
    Right Flange distance : 36.0

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    delete
    Last edited by bikin_pat; 03-26-2012 at 08:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Any more inputs/ updates on cm hubs? Planning to buy one.

mtbr member
    My rear hub is still making the loud pop under engagement every now and then. If I dont keep the paws clean and freshly lubed, it seems to be worst. I would still like to find some stronger springs.

SIngletrack Mind

Finally riding mine

Only 3 rides to date, we'll see how they hold up. If, as one poster reported, they "only" last for 3,500 miles I'll be very happy - knock on wood
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Circus Monkey hubs-glam-bridge-small-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    HDW or HDW2 ?

mtbr member

Final Update

In a nutshell, this hub is junk. Far to many problems in its fairly short 30hr life span to be a reliable option. Ring gear has made contact with the hub shell (see first pic). Two teeth on the ring gear are damaged (see second and third pic). It is still making the loud "pop" under engagement randomly and needs constant relube jobs to keep this at a minimum. The freehub seal is absolutely useless. I have had to clean the freehub anytime it gets wet. The freehub shell bearings only lasted 15hrs before they started making noise under torque. Spent 25$ to replace them. Hub shell bearings are on there way out, which will be another 25$ to replace. The outer bearing dust shields are junk. The brake side axle end cap is damaged and needs replacement. And . . . the front hub bearings/seals are also crap.

I figure that I wasted 100$ on this rear hub plus another 25$ for the bearings. YMMV, but I'm done with this hub as soon as I figure out what I'm going to replace it with. I knew it was a gamble going into this purchase, but I never thought it would turn out this bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Sorry to hear about the hub crapping out but I think all of those hubs with that common design are less than optimal. The axle is too flexy - allowing for the contact that you've experienced and the pawls in the hubshell is a bad idea.

The older type of Monkey Hub looks like a Novatec 712 copy. The Novatec 712 rear hubs are much more reliable. A possible light alternative is the bikehubstore M252. Don't get the Rotaz/Chin Haur/A2Z etc ones.

But, there are a number of people who continue to post about how "bullet-proof" these type of hub desings are. I can only assume they don't ride much and their wheels never leave the ground. I've given up warning people.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by surf418 View Post
    What is your opinion on Circus Monkey's? What's the weight for rear hub? They quoted me $90 for rear hub only, seems pretty cheap but what about quality?
    Buy unknown ****, pay twice.
    Buy good, pay once.

Stay with the proven brands if you try to go above shimanos engagement, like true precision, hadley, white industries (which is low poe just as phil wood), chris king. The rest is most likely taiwan **** and any shimano will outlive them. Easily. By several years most likely. I have the slx latest gen now and they kick ass. And they were cheap too. I can't believe they are that good for lunch money. I also have highend Ringlé and TP at hand but there is no need for it..
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Awesome, now either the end cap or the axle is bent in the front hub. Kept having to adjust my front brake caliper every time I would remove the wheel. Had me scratching my head for a few days. Put a reference mark on the end cap so I put it back in the same place every time, problem solved.

SIngletrack Mind

Weird

I just went over 1K off road miles, still going strong. Took the rear hub apart a coupla weeks ago to see if it looked like above ^^ but so far (knock on wood) so good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Circus Monkey hubs-pivot-summit-small-.jpg  

mtbr member
    anyone tried the HDH versions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    more interesting there is HDW3-R available claimed weight 226 gr.. very interesting..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Can somebody confirm that the original HDW-R hub has an engagement system with 3 pawls in the freehub? I want to make sure that it is the 2nd generation HDW2-R hub the one that comes with the awful 6 pawls design (like the version reviewed by ktm520).
    I checked some pictures of the 3rd generation HDW3-R hub and they went back to the 3 freehub pawls. It's hard to say from the picture but it seems that the new pawls come with a multiple teeth system to increase the POE with only 3 pawls.

em2
    mtbr member
    the "new" freehub ratchet is not all that new !
    it's been around to some hubs for 3 year or more , i have the same ratchet on my road bike wheel , it is very fast with 51 steps and 3 pawls (3 teeth each) with flat spring each.
    DO NOT USE GREASE , best way to keep it run is to use engine oil

mtbr member
    From all this info it looks like the HDW & HDW3 are a better choice over the HDW2. But dang. The HDW2 set is 42grams less.. That sounds nice but not worth the headaches. So any input on best to worse on these 3 hubs?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Anyone seen the HDW3-R for sale anywhere?

mtbr member
    I have not. Jst seen the CM web site. But think of asking a seller to order a few items I like from the site. Make a good package deal for some RESEARCH..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sablotny View Post
    I just went over 1K off road miles, still going strong. Took the rear hub apart a coupla weeks ago to see if it looked like above ^^ but so far (knock on wood) so good.
    So are the hubs still doing good> whats the amount or ride on them now?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    One year ago, I built a pair of road 50mm carbon tubulars for a friend, with Circus Monkey hubs. After 3000km, he complains only about the bearings of the front hub that are becoming slack. The rear hub is fine.
    The hubs are the first generation (3 pawls in the freewheel).

mtbr member
    1yr old & good ok with 3000km (1864miles). That is good. The 3gens are hard to find but seem to be a lot like the first gen. I been to the site a few times & was going ot ask them where to get the 3 gen & looked at maybe getting a few other of there items.

SIngletrack Mind
    I'm around 1,300 miles on mine. Starting to get scoring inside the freehub body as KTM shows above. No broken teeth... yet... but I am starting to think these are disposal hubs.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast