Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 101 to 134 of 134
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    537
    No complaint so far. i'm no racer or strava junky. thé turf ticklers are wore off thé racing ralphs i'm using. But that's not saying much.

  2. #102
    Singletrack Mind
    Reputation: Sablotny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    150
    I gave up on my rear hub at under 1,500 miles. Didn't completely fail, but enough noise and wear that I didn't want to get stranded 15 miles from the trailhead. Like the weight and machining quality of the hubs - and the price - but not worth a disposable, one year wheel build to me.

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    537
    Just happen to put another 4hrs. on the hub. and this was the result. i think the pawls are deflecting during engagement. probably not worth getting a new freehub body. if one part broke and the others are cracking. this might not be a deal breaker though. it may still function as designed. the material is really thin that broke off.
    i think some dremel work will prevent further breakage.


  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ktm520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    Looks like the ring gear made contact with the freehub. Notice the vertical line/mark were the anodizing is worn off. This was a common problem with the previous version due to the axle flexing. I can't believe you are ok with this. Good luck.

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    537
    it's a 12x142 hub on a carbon frame flex is minimal. those are the only two areas that have the abrasion. and since i didn't ride it but a few miles after it started making noise. i'm going to assume it was the broken pieces. no other damage anywhere. the material is just to thin there not to have problems.

  6. #106
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,128
    Thats pretty common in all similar ratchet hubs. Either the metal fails there or the springs fail or the pawls themselves, or the ring. Its a flawed disposable design from the start. The only good hubs using this design seems to be WI and hadley, and shimano, but theirs is different.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ktm520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    it's a 12x142 hub on a carbon frame flex is minimal.[/URL]
    This has nothing to do with what I was describing. The hub axel itself flexes enough to allow the freehub to make contact with the ring gear in the hub shell. There is also signs of the ratchet paws "mushrooming" their seat in the freehub body. Anyway, good luck with that.

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    15
    My hubs are holding up well but I've only put about 500 miles on them so far.

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bosbik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    287
    oh man...looks like i need to look elsewhere for hubs...

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    15
    Spoke too soon, freehub on my HDW3 exploded on me this past weekend. Emailed about a warranty but not sure what I'll do with it seeing as how I really won't trust it after this.

    Circus Monkey hubs-image.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by Fodder69 View Post
    My hubs are holding up well but I've only put about 500 miles on them so far.

  11. #111
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,128
    I just recieved 2 new slx rear hubs and 2 front ones, I think the total cost was like a 100 or 150 or so, i don't really care but it was cheap. They last a long time, they are servicable and dependable. forget about all these nonsense noname crapola hubs. either get proper high end stuff time tested and proven like TP CK WI DT Hadley, (DT seems to be a stretch really to be honest) or get shimano non alu axle/internals models. The shimanos are the same quality as the rest and they cost nothing. They been doing that same design now for like 40 years they have it pretty well nailed down by now to be honest.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9
    Good afternoon, someone can tell me what steps the hub bearings hdw2? thank you

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    15
    Car Bone, no question about shimano being bullet proof (but heavy) and getting what you pay for (light but expensive!). I will say the seller I bought from off ebay, funkyhorse99 was solid and mailed me out a new freehub so my HDW3 is back working again.

    The new freehub has 5 pawls instead of 3.

    Problem now of course is I have a very light wheel that I still don't trust to give up the ghost. I'll ride it for local training but I'll be throwing my heavy XT wheel on for races and any ride I am not prepared to get stranded on, at least until I put enough miles in to be confident on this one.

    I am 180 and ride a full suspension so take that for what it's worth. I don't think I am too hard on my equipment but I don't baby anything. Next rear wheel I build will probably have to be a Chris King but those things are not cheap...

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WerxRacing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodder69 View Post
    Car Bone, no question about shimano being bullet proof (but heavy) and getting what you pay for (light but expensive!). I will say the seller I bought from off ebay, funkyhorse99 was solid and mailed me out a new freehub so my HDW3 is back working again.

    The new freehub has 5 pawls instead of 3.

    Problem now of course is I have a very light wheel that I still don't trust to give up the ghost. I'll ride it for local training but I'll be throwing my heavy XT wheel on for races and any ride I am not prepared to get stranded on, at least until I put enough miles in to be confident on this one.

    I am 180 and ride a full suspension so take that for what it's worth. I don't think I am too hard on my equipment but I don't baby anything. Next rear wheel I build will probably have to be a Chris King but those things are not cheap...
    That Ebay seller (funkyhorse99) is Shirley Ho & works at Circus Monkey. I have talked to her a lot & got a set of the HDW3 from her. She is great. Even named me on a pic on Facebook to help show me dimensions for my builder to help on spoke selection.

  15. #115
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,979

    Circus Monkey hubs

    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    I just recieved 2 new slx rear hubs and 2 front ones, I think the total cost was like a 100 or 150 or so, i don't really care but it was cheap. They last a long time, they are servicable and dependable
    Got another set of "no-name" Nukeproof hubs. Chose instead of Shimano for better rear and front axle options (in case I switch the wheelset from 135x12 and 20mm to 142x12 and 15mm). And can use it on another bike. With another pair I have (Generator AM wheelset) I see no functional difference with DT Swiss and Hope (Hadley would have better engagement). Easy to service. Yes, you get what you pay for, but sometimes it is enough. ... And Circus Monkey keep working perfect on my daughter's bike.
    Price (online)/reliability/features wise my favorites are Hope Pro 2s.

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    142
    Has anyone tried the newer HDH hubs (supposedly for AM/FR/Enduro)?

  17. #117
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    Has anyone tried the newer HDH hubs (supposedly for AM/FR/Enduro)?

    I am interested in these as well since the HDH supposedly can be ordered with 15mm axle.

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WerxRacing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    110
    MY HDW3 / HDW2-F hubs on Crest 29er rims. 1514grams with skewers. 3 weeks & 280 miles. Still working nice & will post other updates


  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WerxRacing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    110

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    6

    spoke length

    Quote Originally Posted by WerxRacing View Post
    MY HDW3 / HDW2-F hubs on Crest 29er rims. 1514grams with skewers. 3 weeks & 280 miles. Still working nice & will post other updates

    can yu please give us the spokes lengths thank you

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    119
    well I ordered a set of these last week and now I'm reading all these posts above about them crapping out.

    What hubs would be a good alternative that weigh similar? I've read negative reviews on most lightweight hubs including Tune and others so it's hard to discern which is the "best."

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    239
    I would say a reasonably priced, durable, lightweight alternative is WTB or American Classic hubs. However, engagement is relatively awful. Then of course, there are DT hubs but they're not exactly cheap, even secondhand.
    Bamboo is real.

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    44
    I just built Circus Monkey wheels on WTB Frequence i-23 rims for my Cannondale F29 Lefty.

    It is winter here, lots of snow, and I will be riding these new wheels in the spring in a few months so no experience using them yet. The hubs look beautiful and flawless, that is a promising sign.

    I built these wheels for semi-slick tires for my daily city commute, to compete on average speed with my colleagues. I am pretty sure I will eventually end up using these wheels for serious trail hammering. I will post my experiences later this year.

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    537
    the hdh hubs i built last spring are holding up. after i modified the pawl limit tab. just built a set of the new 5 pawl hdw2 for my gravel grinder. i have been cleaning and relubing the pawls on both lately. just because i'm putting more miles on them, and all negativie posts.

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    123

    Hdw3 hub bearing dimensions

    Anyone know what bearing sizes the hdw3 hubs take? Are they 28mm diameter?

    Also what is the width from bearing to bearing? I'm thinking could use powerway / Novatec axles / free hub drivers with these hubs?

    I have some powerway / novatec hubs I could take measurements from

  26. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    155
    how about circus monkey rims? anyone tried em?

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    155
    no one using circus rims D202420?

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation: geekonabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    79
    Exactly what I was looking for Matt, You Da Man!
    . Later, mike
    . www.geekonabike.webs.com

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    12
    Just finished my wheelset build.

    I bought the Circus Monkey HDW2 hubs from ebike.ltd on ebay. I read this thread 3 times before purchasing them then 3 more times after purchasing them because I am worried about reliability. I asked the seller to provide hub measurements but the crappy small pictures in this thread, on the CM website, and that the seller gave me are ALL unreadable so I used a spring tensioner and measured them myself following my book's instructions.

    The hubs are laced to Spank Oozie 295's with Wheelsmith 14/15/14 gauge spokes. If I have any problems with the hubs I will let you guys know in this thread. If you don't hear from me again I had no problems.



    Thanks for all the info in this thread!

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    155
    how's your circus monkey hubs?

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation: geekonabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Forcemajeure View Post
    how's your circus monkey hubs?
    Mine take everything I through at them. Ran them on the Colorado Trail Race with no problems. I weigh 140, add another 50 to 55lbs for bike and gear. Gonna build two more wheel set using them.

    what don't kill you only makes you smell stronger. ; -)
    . Later, mike
    . www.geekonabike.webs.com

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lance Armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    22
    Hey guys, I am in desperate need of somewhere I can get a new freehub body.

    I bought a used set of HDW's and the body is fairly chewed up, but my main problem is the bike industry and their stupid standards that make no sense. I assumed since my xtr m9000 11speed worked on 10 speed hubs, that my ultegra 11 speed would as well.

    Of course Shimano would have an 11speed freehub body for road, but make 10 speed compatible with 11 speed for mountain bike, because that makes sense, right?

    I tried emailing circus monkey, and numerous ebay sellers of the hubs to no avail. Hopefully you guys can shed some light where to get a new freehub body. To be sure, this is the HDW freehub Body with the 3 pawl mechanism.

    Cheers!


    Cheers!

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lance Armstrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Armstrong View Post
    Hey guys, I am in desperate need of somewhere I can get a new freehub body.

    I bought a used set of HDW's and the body is fairly chewed up, but my main problem is the bike industry and their stupid standards that make no sense. I assumed since my xtr m9000 11speed worked on 10 speed hubs, that my ultegra 11 speed would as well.

    Of course Shimano would have an 11speed freehub body for road, but make 10 speed compatible with 11 speed for mountain bike, because that makes sense, right?

    I tried emailing circus monkey, and numerous ebay sellers of the hubs to no avail. Hopefully you guys can shed some light where to get a new freehub body. To be sure, this is the HDW freehub Body with the 3 pawl mechanism.

    Cheers!


    Cheers!
    I included pictures of the freehub body etc. The basic 3 pawl one.

    Circus Monkey hubs-20151030_152833.jpgCircus Monkey hubs-20151030_152842.jpgCircus Monkey hubs-20151030_152850.jpg

  34. #134
    ...but I'm a Silly Hunter
    Reputation: Haint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,190
    The real Lance Armstrong?
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •