I like mud

Chris King Ring Drive Lube

I've done a lot of searches and a lot of reading about whether or not to use Chris King's special lube on my CK hubs.

I want to service them myself (without the special tool). Mine are dirty and nasty and this looks so simple.

It's just that I'm scared to clean them (and clean the old lube off) because I can't find any CK Ring Drive Lube to put back on.

Does it really matter? Can I just use Finish Line like so many people seem to do? I couldn't do any real damage to them could I?

Also, between the needle bearings there seems to be some white junk. Is that old Ring Drive lube? Should I clean that white stuff out?

Link to CK lube I can't find in my country
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

mtbr member
    CK lube is a light grease if i'm not mistakin. I think they recommend to thin the lube with finish line or tri-flo -can't remember which. You thin it so there is less friction make em spin faster; but not to replace the lube. Try calling or emailing CK they would tell you exactly what to use. They'll probably say you need a synthetic bearing lube or something else so it may still be cheaper to just order the lube from them directly.
    Their hubs are extremely easy to regrease, 2 wrenches and they're open. exacto to pry the bearing covers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    you can order the CK grease from amazon, it was like 13 bucks. I did not dilute mine in anything and my hubs seem fine.
    Friends don't let friends ride geared bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I use regular wheel bearing grease in mine. They do not spin as fast when they are free(just spun), but it does work. It really doesnt effect the ride, as that tiny bit of extra drag you dont notice once your on it and riding. I just use a TINY amount of grease in there.

aka Willy Vanilly
    I had a shop recommend that I use Dumonde Tech chain lube. Only had a couple rides since pulling them apart but so far seems to be working just fine.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

mtbr member
    CK does say you can use 10w oil in them in a pinch.
    If this is your long term maintenance just get the lube.

mtbr member
    I run a lot of King stuff, but have no plans on buying their special juice.
    Oil insoluble suspension fork grease is some very nice filming grease (vs clumping stuff like lithium/white grease). And for 2x the cost of Ring lube, you can buy a huge tub of it and be set for any bearing and fork rebuilds. But hey, that's just me.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

psycho cyclo addict
    I use ring drive lube on the teeth between the drive rings (where you have to press on one to separate them) and on the opposite end of the interior of the drive shell. CK docs say: " Do not substitute other brands of grease, as they may be too sticky for the helix of the ring drive". This is definitely a problem when riding in colder climates and not worth trashing the internals to save a little money IMO.

mtbr member
    I have a fairly new set - how long till my freehub loosens up and dosen't want to pull on the derailleur? I've read they need to break in a bit but???
    "It looks flexy"

trail "cleaner"

give them a month....

Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    I have a fairly new set - how long till my freehub loosens up and dosen't want to pull on the derailleur? I've read they need to break in a bit but???
    After a month or so if your freehub is still tugging on the derailleur, pull the axle and put some light oil on the needle bearings and in the freehub bearing. All of my CK hubs will give me some of that drag after I do a full rebuild (annually). After a few rides though, it goes away. Best hubs on the planet IMHO. Been riding CK hubs > 11 years with no issues.
    No dabs allowed!

I like mud
    Thanks so far, good info.

Also, between the needle bearings there seems to be some white junk. Is that old Ring Drive lube? Should I clean that white stuff out?
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

I like mud
    Quote Originally Posted by Patterson View Post
    Thanks so far, good info.

Answering my own question here: It's just the plastic ring the needle bearing sit in and it's white.
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

mtbr member
    Do yourself a favor and spend 5 or 6 bucks on a quart of Mobil 1. It will last you forever on those hubs, no matter how often you need to clean them and relube. I wiped out all of the ring drive grease and replaced it with the Mobil and it works just as well. It also sounds nicer. I did this for all of my friends too. Just get a syringe. The type that they use for baby or pet medicine works great. It gets in right onto the ring drive inside the hub. Just don't use too much or it will pool inside. 6 bucks for a quart vs 13 bucks for a couple ounces is a no brainer in my book.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    I use ring drive lube on the teeth between the drive rings (where you have to press on one to separate them) and on the opposite end of the interior of the drive shell. CK docs say: " Do not substitute other brands of grease, as they may be too sticky for the helix of the ring drive". This is definitely a problem when riding in colder climates and not worth trashing the internals to save a little money IMO.
    Although the guys at king say not to use there lube on the ring drive in cold climates as well. In that case you need oil to make it work.