on my 3rd wind...

Good job! Chris King rear ISO DISC 10mm thru axle upgrade

To anyone interested in upgrading their CK ISO Disc rear from 10mm QR to 10mm thru-axle setup, I just did this upgrade. My CK was the ISO Disc QR standard 2 piece axle (not the heavy duty) version. Yes this works fine on regular 10mm vertical open dropout.

Hadley 10mm x 135mm axle ($25)
    CK 10mm x 135mm thru-axle ($70)
    CK axle adjusting clamp ($25)

Much better setup than CK Fun-Bolt config, IMO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chris King rear ISO DISC 10mm thru axle upgrade-hadley-10mm-axle.jpg  

Chris King rear ISO DISC 10mm thru axle upgrade-ck-10mm-thru.jpg  

Chris King rear ISO DISC 10mm thru axle upgrade-ck-axle-clamp.jpg  

sth

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What is the axle itself made of? Aluminum or steel?

My wheel builder will be ordering my Hadley hubs next week and I'm going that route as well.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

on my 3rd wind...
    Appears to be solid aluminum.
    sth

That CK axle is not a thru-axle. It's not 10mm. It's just what they call the rear one piece axle (they used to call it the heavy duty axle). They do make a thru axle in 150, though. It's bigger than 10mm (19.5 mm). You can still use it as a 10mm quick release by using the 10mm end caps instead of the fun bolts (they thread in where the fun bolts thread in). I didn't know that you could use a thru-bolt with it, though, not that I see any need to.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackHound
    Appears to be solid aluminum.
    I would think that if you have the axle you'd know what it was made out of.
    Seems like a cool mod to me, where is the new axle available?

on my 3rd wind...
    You can buy the CK stuff from CK directly or
    http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Mercha...y_Code=CKAXLES

Hadley thru-axle from
    http://www.balleracing.com/Hadley/Hadley10mmAxle.htm
    sth

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    That CK axle is not a thru-axle. It's not 10mm. It's just what they call the rear one piece axle (they used to call it the heavy duty axle). They do make a thru axle in 150, though. It's bigger than 10mm (19.5 mm). You can still use it as a 10mm quick release by using the 10mm end caps instead of the fun bolts (they thread in where the fun bolts thread in). I didn't know that you could use a thru-bolt with it, though, not that I see any need to.
    Perhaps CK 10 x 135mm thru-axle should be called a 10mm thru axle adaptor. But that is what CK calls it. On the other end, above Hadley thru-axle that inserts all the way through the CK 10x135mm thru-axle is a true 10mm thru axle.
    sth

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Kind of strange King doesn't have an actual 10mm axle for their 10mm thru axle conversion kit (at least that I could find) and you would need to use the Hadley axle or the very fragile DT Swiss RWS 10mm QR skewer.

I would prefer the Hadley axle to be stainless steel or TI and not aluminum if that's correct. I see a project in my future when I get my new Hadley hubs wheelset.

According to the woman I spoke to at Hadley (Sue?) they have been asked a number of times about something similar to the 10mm DT Swiss QR set up so maybe they will develop something that actually works without so easily breaking.

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad
    According to the woman I spoke to at Hadley (Sue?) they have been asked a number of times about something similar to the 10mm DT Swiss QR set up so maybe they will develop something that actually works without so easily breaking.
    Have you heard somewhere Hadley Thru-axle breaks easily? I have never heard of such.

Believe it or not, CK 10x135mm "thru axle" is an 19.5mm diameter axle by itself, just not a true thru-axle since it does not run through the both ends of the dropout. However, Hadley is, and since it is coupled to the CK 10x135mm "thru-axle", both complements each other and makes one solid device. Think of it this way, CK Fun-bolts are replaced by Hadley 10mm solid thru-axle that runs through the entire length of the CK 19.5mm heavy-duty axle from dropout to dropout.

I do like the sound of 10mm stainless thru-axle, though.
    sth

Perhaps CK 10 x 135mm thru-axle should be called a 10mm thru axle adaptor. But that is what CK calls it. On the other end, above Hadley thru-axle that inserts all the way through the CK 10x135mm thru-axle is a true 10mm thru axle.
    No, the Hadley is a thru-bolt, it's not an axle any more than a quick release skewer is an axle. It doesn't thread into the frame, so it's not a thru-axle. CK doesn't call it a thru-axle, either. They call it the one-piece axle. Just what do you perceive the advantage of a thru bolt over the fun bolts to be? I'd think the fun bolts would be more secure as they appear to have a greater clamping area than what appear to be smaller caps on that Hadley bolt (but hard to tell from pics). I also wonder what that thru bolt will do to the threads in the axle over time...
    suum quique

on my 3rd wind...
    What ever you say. Point is, it's an alternative CK 10mm thru-axle option if you are looking for someting like this. If you like the Fun-bolt, then go for it. I just prefer this setup much better.
    sth

What ever you say. Point is, it's an alternative CK 10mm thru-axle option if you are looking for someting like this. If you like the Fun-bolt, then go for it. I just prefer this setup much better.
    Point is you were using the incorrect terminology and making it sound like King actually had a different product than they do...the title was why I looked at the thread in the first place, thought I had missed something from King. I am curious what the advantage of the Hadley could be, though, except perhaps to add weight...
    suum quique

on my 3rd wind...
    Pardon my French but everyone I talked to during research order the parts referred to as thru-axle, starting from CK so there you go...see linky from above. But I don't feel that I've been mislead because they didn't call it a thru-bolt.
    sth

Sorry, in the Aspirevelotech link only the 150mm/12mm thru axle is described as a thru-axle, or are you trying to point me somewhere else? I'd be surprised someone at King would call it that (none of the King people I've talked to have called it that, had the premier of the 150mm/12mm thru axle hub in our shop, too).

Now, if you're translating from the French that could be the problem...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2005
    All the different terminolgy does get confusing. Thru axle, thru bolt, fun bolts, heavy duty this and that, adapter this and that etc.......

Coming over from the dirt bike world I see the Hadley thing pictured above and I call it an axle. Well what is an axle for a bike or motorcycle? It's really just a long bolt and that's what the Hadley is so I guess you could call it a thru bolt also?

Bottom line in a setup like this the 10mm axle (thru bolt) is what supports everything and a solid axle from drop out to drop out with a tightening nut will be the best and strongest. Better, cleaner setup and stronger than the CK fun bolts (where the hell they come up with that name anyway) which puts threads inside the dropouts and then into the threaded portion of the CK axle (if running fun bolts). Yeah, maybe splitting hairs here but the Hadley is better IMO.

Maybe the aluminum axle is fine for the Hadley axle, never heard of breakage but I still like the idea of stainless or titanium. A wheel coming off for whatever reason over and over and over I'm not keen on aluminum threads holding up. I'll gladly take the weight of the SS. TI would be better still, stronger and lighter but $$$.

on my 3rd wind...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Sorry, in the Aspirevelotech link only the 150mm/12mm thru axle is described as a thru-axle, or are you trying to point me somewhere else? I'd be surprised someone at King would call it that (none of the King people I've talked to have called it that, had the premier of the 150mm/12mm thru axle hub in our shop, too).

Now, if you're translating from the French that could be the problem...
    Here ya go! You sure do knit pick.

Also my receipt from CK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chris King rear ISO DISC 10mm thru axle upgrade-ck.jpg  

Last edited by SingleTrackHound; 11-13-2009 at 02:40 PM.
    sth

Here ya go! You sure do knit pick.

Also my receipt from CK.

You mean nitpick? Why would I knit a pick? My profound apologies, I owe you a beer.

Yep, didn't dig down enough in the Aspirevelotech menus. Guess King hasn't put it on their website (that I could find at least the first time around). Just more confusion to the terminology, par for the course I guess! I do see a small mention on the King page now that I scour, but not updated throughout their site. Does it have threads for a 10mm thru axle dropout though? Or as an option? Or are you simply expected to go find your own thru bolt for standard dropouts?
    suum quique

mtbr member

Hey ST Hound

Any word on how much that King rear hub weighs after you converted it to the 10mm TA?
    What's the Hadley thru bolt weigh?

29 some of the time...
    Nice. Watch out for Shiggy, he hates it when people call it thru axle even if that is what the mfg sells it as...
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    yep, good call....."Thru Bolt" is what I meant to say.

on my 3rd wind...
    My rear wheel is currently running 12mm setup. I never weighed my wheel so I am not sure what the differences are but I did weigh the CK standard qr axle (not the heavy duty version) and CK 10mm thru axle since they are out of the hub. My digital scale is only accurate to +/- 20g.

CK 10mm thru axle weighs ~80g
    CK 10mm std qr axle weighs ~60g
    Hadley 10mm Thrubolt won't register on my digital scale. It must weigh 20-30g. Balleracing must be paying attention to mtbr. Now they changed it to thrubolt on their website.
    sth