b a n n e d

Chris King Hub Service

So I'm doing my first clean/lube on my hubs (not a complete overhaul, just a thorough cleaning and re-lube). I've pulled the axel and drive shell and am left with 3 parts now. I've cleaned things out with a rag, but the interior of the hub shell is still pretty soiled with grease . . . I'm talking about the part of the shell between the bearings/ringdrive where there are no moving parts. If I'm reading correctly, it seems that I should basically flush the whole hub shell out with WD40, dry it up and relube the drive ring and bearings. Is that correct?

Same question for the driveshell . . . flush this out with WD40 and relube the moving parts?

I've read the CK doc's BTW and know what needs to be relubed. I just want to make sure I get these as clean as possible before I put them back together.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Yup, clean out with WD or brake clean (my preference)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    WD40 will work.

IIRC, the driveshell bearing does not have a seal on one side.

Make sure you do your bearing preload check after a few rides once reassmebled.

I did buy the bearing tool and it's very nice to do the full service.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    How often are you servicing? I just got my first CK rear hub and I want to make sure to take great care of it. It was used but just serviced when I bought it, so I don't have paperwork with it. I need to go to the website and get the docs from there. I only have maybe 35-40 miles on it so far. I still hold Hope in high regards, but for the rear at least, I'm a CK convert.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    From my experience, once I've decided to use something like WD40 that's usually an indication that a major service is needed. I think you would be better off doing a complete tear down because it's near impossible to remove all the contamination.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    How often are you servicing? I just got my first CK rear hub and I want to make sure to take great care of it. It was used but just serviced when I bought it, so I don't have paperwork with it. I need to go to the website and get the docs from there. I only have maybe 35-40 miles on it so far. I still hold Hope in high regards, but for the rear at least, I'm a CK convert.
    Once a year for the full on tear down if you don't do a whole lot of riding. Every 6 months if you like the rain, or dunk the rear end in creeks. To be honest, you can go longer, but if you start missing engagement, or your hub gets quiet, it's time
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

b a n n e d
    Okay, so I did the basic cleaning/maintenance and got everything back together but I'm wondering if something is amiss. At really high RPMs the sound is off . . . as if something is loose or the teeth are skipping . . . but as it slows from peak speed, it sounds normal. On a quick test ride, it engages perfectly even under high loads and there's no skipping . . . other than the sound at high RPMs, it seems to be working normally.

Might this be a sign of too much grease? I used the CK Ring Drive Lube, ran a pretty heavy bead between the drive/driven rings.

Thoughts?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Okay, so I did the basic cleaning/maintenance and got everything back together but I'm wondering if something is amiss. At really high RPMs the sound is off . . . as if something is loose or the teeth are skipping . . . but as it slows from peak speed, it sounds normal. On a quick test ride, it engages perfectly even under high loads and there's no skipping . . . other than the sound at high RPMs, it seems to be working normally.

Might this be a sign of too much grease? I used the CK Ring Drive Lube, ran a pretty heavy bead between the drive/driven rings.

Thoughts?
    Did you install the Spring Retainer and Drive Spring correctly? It could be the signs of the Drive Spring needing replacement or too much RD Lube. I would ride for a few times to see of the RD Lube displaces. If not I would call King.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    Did you install the Spring Retainer and Drive Spring correctly? It could be the signs of the Drive Spring needing replacement or too much RD Lube. I would ride for a few times to see of the RD Lube displaces. If not I would call King.
    I didn't remove any internals, as I don't have the hub tool . . . just did a basic clean/re-lube. I bet its too much lube and at high RPMs, its skipping. I'll give it a couple rides and see what happens. If its still doing it, I'll call CK on Monday.

Blind biker
    I didn't remove any internals, as I don't have the hub tool . . . just did a basic clean/re-lube. I bet its too much lube and at high RPMs, its skipping. I'll give it a couple rides and see what happens. If its still doing it, I'll call CK on Monday.
    Did you check for any dirt inside the drive rings as that could also cause skipping along with too much lube. Also with you saying that there was a ton of grease inside the hubshell some of that could have possibly got into the ring drive and that will cause skipping or poor engagment as its too sticky of lube.
    I personally just ordered a wheelset myself but I picked up the tool while I was at it as I would rather tear the hubset down completely for relubing so its perfectly clean inside.

Also in some videos people are showing a nylon washer wouldnt brake clean damage it or the bearing seals if they arent removed?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    By bad, I forgot you didn't do a full service. Thinking about it more, I would bust open the hub and remove some of the lubrication. The excessive lubrication is allowing the teeth to skip over each other just like when their is contamination inside the ring drive teeth which causes it to skip on engagement.

The same goes for the bearings.....over lubrication will allow the bearings to slide along the races verses rolling. This churns the lubrication resulting in oil base separation and the bearing eventually fails.

A little story, I was tasked to redesign this 90K RPM piece of rotating equipment that was having bearing failure. After a lot of life cycle testing I pinned it the amount of fill the bearing house was putting into our high speed bearings. They were doing a 30% fill and I calculated that for our application it needed a 15% fill.

The equation is G=.114 x D x B
    G = Amount of lubricant in oz
    D = OD of bearing in inches
    B = Width of bearing in inches

A little off topic but I'm a geeky engineer.

b a n n e d
    I cleaned everything really, really well using a toothbrush and rags. It was damn near spotless in there before putting it all back together.

Wouldn't the excess lube get pushed out after a couple rides? Note, that I did not crack open the bearings (i.e., remove the snapring) as they seem to be still moving very well.

b a n n e d
    Did 20 miles and put the things through their paces . . . no change. Maybe even worse . . . blech.

Its only doing this going over 25ish, which actually isn't very common. At lower speeds everything sounds kosher. No problems at all other than the change in noise. No skipping, no drag, nada . . . if it weren't for the noise I'd think everything was running as it should.