mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Chinese carbon wheels: full wheels?

Anyone try the full built wheels instead of just the rims? Was hoping to get impressions.

I read a bunch of the long thread, but didn't see anything on the wheel builds. Are the full builds as good as the rims only? Still light? Quality parts?

anyone? Bueller?

Custom Wheelbuilder
    I've read quite a few horror stories over on RBR about rims and complete wheelsets. It sounds like they are pretty hit or miss, all though I've never dealt or ridden them so I wouldn't know..
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I've built the light bicycles rims

They build up really well and are really stiff.

I too am not sure about road rims/wheels as rim braking on carbon is an issue, which has been addressed in very high end rims and wheels. For disk brake wheels these issues aren't relevant.

The only questions about the fully built mtb wheels are hub quality and tubeless compatibility. The lightbicycles.com rims have a good history of tubeless use so at least for that brand it isn't an issue.

If I was looking to get in on the low end I would buy the lightbicycles rims and some inexpensive hubs (I like the ones from bikehubstore.com) and some spokes and nipples and either build them yourself (it's pretty fun but time consuming) or find a wheel builder you like.

I haven't seen too many folks using the built wheel sets. I'm sure they're ok.

Bro Mountainbiker
    It depends on the company you use. Some companies have monkeys building the wheels.

I bought a CX set from Farsports. I had planned on taking the tension down and retensioning them, but when I got them they were pretty much perfect.

Perfect true and dish, and the spoke tension between the spokes was within my standard.

If you are talking about the components used, I think the rims can be hit or miss. I havent read the whole 100 page long thread, so I cant say.

The Novatec hubs are great for the money.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens