mtbr member

Changing sealant brand question

I set up my new ride as tubeless using DT Swiss XM 481 rims, stans tape and sealant, and Maxxis HR2(front) and Minion DHR2(rear). Both constantly lose air while between rides. I'd like to change to Orange seal. Do I just empty out the Stans and load the Orange in there or do I have to really get all the Stans off of the tire/rim for it to work?
    Hubbard Bike Club

Nat
    mtbr member
    I'd just empty the Stans, replace with Orange Seal, and see what happens.

turtles make me hot
    I replaced Stan's with Truckerco Tire Cream. I just replaced the stans with the Truckerco.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I think truckerco might be Stan's with some ground up rubber added in.

I wouldn't imagine they're incompatible (any sealant)?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Orange and Stan's do not mix. Orange will dry out very quickly with it comes in contact with Stan's. You will want to make every effort to get any Stan's sealant and residue out of your tires to give yourself the best chances.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I think truckerco might be Stan's with some ground up rubber added in.

I wouldn't imagine they're incompatible (any sealant)?
    Truckerco is definitely LIKE Stan's but it is way better. It isn't bleeding through my sidewalls and drying out prematurely like Stan's.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

Changing sealant brand question

Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Orange and Stan's do not mix. Orange will dry out very quickly with it comes in contact with Stan's. You will want to make every effort to get any Stan's sealant and residue out of your tires to give yourself the best chances.
    Thats what the orange seal reps said and did when they changed mine out at a event, they pulled the tires and washed then out with rag and water .. nice not having stans seep through side walls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turtles make me hot
    So... We're all in agreement.

Stan's sucks red monkey ass.
    I like turtles

MTB B'dos
    Me personally, I'd mix up some soapy water and put all over the rims and tyres to try and find why they loose so much air so easily, if it's the valve interface or if the tape wasn't put down good or the tyres them selves are leaking. If I didn't find a definitive answer, I'd strip the tyres off, check the valve is seated properly, then strip the tape off and re-tape the rims and do it right this time instead of trying to put a band aid of different sealant to do what a good tape job should do.

Can't count the amount of Maxxis tubeless tyre setups I've done and the only time they've not held air without minimal loss over days without sealant is when either the valve wasn't seated/tighten correctly or something was wrong with the tape.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep5150 View Post
    Thats what the orange seal reps said and did when they changed mine out at a event, they pulled the tires and washed then out with rag and water .. nice not having stans seep through side walls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can attest this isn't just some company ploy. I tried to refill a stans tire with Orange seal and ended up with a dried out sealant in about a week. So yeah, clean your tires.

because GIANT
    just dump orange seal into stans. no need to dump old stans (unless you need
    to pull stanimals out). it'll work fine

my fatbike hodags were losing air on stans and stans was weeping...dumped in 3 oz stans front and back and it sealed right up and holds pressure forever

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    So... We're all in agreement.

Stan's sucks red monkey ass.
    Umm, no. Out of all the sealants I have used Stan's has been the "best". It's not perfect, but has worked better for me than any others.

mtbr member
    You should empty out all the old sealant and clean the tire. The chemistry of the sealant changes as it reacts with air. Mixing the old sealant chemistry with the new sealant is contraindicated for successful sealing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Truckerco is definitely LIKE Stan's but it is way better. It isn't bleeding through my sidewalls and drying out prematurely like Stan's.
    Interesting. I've found it lasts about the same, but seals up a lot better! It's a lot cheaper, plus works better, so it's my preference.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Interesting. I've found it lasts about the same, but seals up a lot better! It's a lot cheaper, plus works better, so it's my preference.
    And it's made in the USA.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Umm, no. Out of all the sealants I have used Stan's has been the "best". It's not perfect, but has worked better for me than any others.
    I'm glad it works for you. In another thread, Mendon mentioned that Stan's changed at some point. It definitely did. It started seeping through sidewalls. It still sealed but really well but I grew tired of having to scrub the sand and dirt that was glued to my tires. Switched to Truckerco which is also a white liquid latex and no more seepage. Truckerco is like Stan's without the nasty side effects.
    I like turtles