mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Center Loc vs Hubs

I would like to replace my factory wheels with new ones. They have shimano centre loc disc brakes. If I go to a lets say a Crank bros wheel with bolted discs, will the disc brakes be centred in the calipers? If not what next?

Thanks in advance

Blueliner

mountain biker
    you'll have to purchase new discs to go along with the new hubs. but yes, the new discs will be centred in the calipers. you might need to do some fine tuning of the caliper mounting position, but it's all within the range of tolerance of your frame and brakes.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    You need wheels with center loc hubs for sure. A few are convertible, but most mfgs sell both 6-bolt an center loc versions. I would do this assuming your current rotors are in good shape and don't need replacing, and I think that center loc are slightly lighter as well.

Also- Don't buy crank brothers wheels. (Only somewhat of a joke-- check reviews here and elsewhere. I love my eggbeaters, but wheels? Uh, no.)

mtbr member
    I like centerlock hubs because they're lighter and force the rotor to have a spider of sorts. This does limit you to higher end rotors . . .

Centerlock hubs are also compatible with 6 bolt rotors if you use an adapter. You cannot ever use a centerlock rotor on a 6 bolt hub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The rear rotor is warped. As well the rear wheel will not stay true, and has spokes that are grooved I think from the chain jumping (another story that I will get resolved before the next time I ride) The worst condition spokes were replaced with the last true.

I am not stuck on Crank Bros, just that the LBS sells their stuff. I am sure they rep other brands including Shimano. Would prefer to support my local guy.

FWIW the original rims are "Alex" or something like that, with Shimano hubs, spokes...not sure.

Regards,
    Blueliner

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueliner View Post
    Crank bros wheel
    Don't do it!!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Just like GT scoob i like cl too. i love it! it takes what 2 seconds to fit the rotor? and, aaaand you can't **** it up, its impossible its always mounted squarely against the hub, no need to torque individual screws and all that crap, thats like the stoneage imo. I really like cl as a system. I wish all makers would make cl hubs.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.