mtbr member

Cassette play on Mavic hub. Do I need specific Mavic spacers?

I got myself an indoor trainer as an early christmas gift, and also picked a PG-990 cassette on sale to put on an unused still-in-the-box Mavic Crossride wheel I had sitting around ('09, I think).

The lockring is so tight I'm worried I might not be able to get it off, but there is still some horizontal play in the cassette. It's not the FH body... it's clear the cassette is just loose.

After some digging I notice several posts that mention Mavics in general, and Crossrides in particular (which apparently use a 10sp-compatible road freehub body?) usually need spacers.

What spacer do I need for the Crossride? If I search "mavic spacer" on ebay, I see ED10, ED11, M10 spacers

Thanks for any advice.

Former Bike Wrench
    I believe the Crossride uses the same freehub body as the road wheels do, which is wider to accommodate the Campagnolo spaced Mavic 9 and 10 speed cassettes. Here's what you need:

Mavic 2012 Cassette Spacer | 10sp to 8/9sp

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah that's the one....I've had to use it on all Shimano 9-speed cassettes that I've installed...Mavic usually ships the spacer when you buy brand new Crossrides and Crosstrails (possibly even Crossmax)

mtbr member
    Hmm... I bought the Crosstrails new last year when Competitive Cyclist was doing that $100 deal a lot of people got in on. Maybe I set it aside, not knowing what it did and have it sitting in one of my parts drawers. At least I know what to look for. Thanks!

Dirt Deviant
    In a pinch you may be able to use a 2.5mm bb spacer ......but don't hold me to that as i don't have my calipers handy to measure the mavic spacer at the moment.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Ahh.. the occasional benefits of being a pack rat. Found it! Everything snug and happy now. Just wanted to say thanks again to osmarandsara for letting me know I probably already had one, and mtnbiker for showing me what to look for. Now I can hit the trails.... err... bonus room.