Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: apache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    181

    Carbon Wheel - Aluminum Nipples

    Hi Guys,

    Has there been any improvements with respect to technique/materials that allows for aluminum nipples to be used with carbon wheels?

    Cheers,
    G

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    855
    Nope

  3. #3
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,532
    It depends -- on many, many factors.

    Some people are (and have been) using them together for years. Others have problems within a few months.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gmats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by apache View Post
    Hi Guys,

    Has there been any improvements with respect to technique/materials that allows for aluminum nipples to be used with carbon wheels?

    Cheers,
    G

    I've been building wheels for years with this kind of combo. I have not seen any issues with this. I live and ride in a very muddy, caustic (close to the ocean) area here in Hawaii. My wheels and friends that I have built for have gone YEARS without any kind of truing or failure (I'm knocking on my head now just in case). Considering the kind of riding we do here with the roots, rocks, jungle, lava fields, close to ocean I think they're OK.

    Lave Field Riding:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26GkvsC3uBI&t=80s



    And some jungle and open pasture riding:

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoftballGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    It depends -- on many, many factors.

    Some people are (and have been) using them together for years. Others have problems within a few months.
    I have Chinese carbon rims if that makes a difference.I started breaking nipples about 9 months after my wheels were built. By a years time i had probably replaced 1/2 of them, i was breaking 1 or 2 almost every ride. Got fed up and had wheels rebuilt with brass, no problems since.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rngspnr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    595
    High quality aluminum nipples are the way to go. Such as DT Swiss Squorx. I contacted DT Swiss about this and they said no problem. I used black Squorx for my Nextie wheels. Had to replace a spoke and the coating wasn't even worn off the nipple where it contacts the rim. Both black and silver squorx are coated for protection.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

  7. #7
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,619
    I've read lots of people have good success with Sapim aluminum nipples, but personally I wouldn't bother.

    Just use Brass. I promise you'll never know they're there.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    542
    2 out of 2 of the carbon wheels I've had with alloy nipples have needed to be rebuilt after the nipples corroded.
    And I've rebuild a pair of friend's wheels with the same issue. And those wheels had DT swiss squorx alloy nipples.

    So yeah, brass for carbon for me.

  9. #9
    My dogs are barkin
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    125
    Make sure they are anodized and you should be fine with a high quality alloy nipple.

    Frankly, if you are breaking nipples and it is not due to corrosion, I'd be more concerned about the quality of your wheel build.

    Good luck
    I know just enough to be dangerous
    --Me

    SoCAL
    06/17/2009

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,198
    My sapim aluminum nipples dissolved in my aluminum rims. I had a tape malfunction and they got a good dose of sealant. Dissolved off half the head.

    So watch your tape job... or just use brass and avoid that whole mess. Theres no meaningful weight difference.

    Im sticking with brass for tubeless. The rim material doesn't seem to be a factor.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: apache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    My sapim aluminum nipples dissolved in my aluminum rims. I had a tape malfunction and they got a good dose of sealant. Dissolved off half the head.

    So watch your tape job... or just use brass and avoid that whole mess. Theres no meaningful weight difference.

    Im sticking with brass for tubeless. The rim material doesn't seem to be a factor.
    With all the reading that I have been doing lately it seems that the nature of the sealant is more of a common thread than rim material. Does Orange Seal contain ammonia?

  12. #12
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,619
    Quote Originally Posted by apache View Post
    With all the reading that I have been doing lately it seems that the nature of the sealant is more of a common thread than rim material. Does Orange Seal contain ammonia?
    If you don't mind me asking, why are you so fixated on using aluminum nipples? Do you want a particular color or something?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: apache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, why are you so fixated on using aluminum nipples? Do you want a particular color or something?
    I'm not, but the person I am building these wheels for wants a particular color configuration.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,733
    Plus if you order your Sapim Laser or Race spokes from Dans Comp they include Sapim Polyax brass silver nipples with the order.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: apache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Plus if you order your Sapim Laser or Race spokes from Dans Comp they include Sapim Polyax brass silver nipples with the order.
    Yes, I've ordered tons of spokes from them. I could probably corner the market with all the spare bags of brass nipples I have laying around.

  16. #16
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,582
    First set of carbon wheels I had built with AL nips had issues, appeared very brittle and had a few break.
    Had rebuilt with brass, no issues since.

Similar Threads

  1. Are 15g nipples heavier/stronger than 14g nipples?
    By ccm in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2017, 06:22 AM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-29-2015, 07:44 AM
  3. Aluminum Nipples & The Fat Bike Life Don't Mix?
    By jonshonda in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-09-2014, 10:58 PM
  4. replacing aluminum nipples with brass
    By Alpenglow in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-22-2013, 07:57 PM
  5. Brass nipples vs. Alloy Nipples
    By RDI in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM

Members who have read this thread: 104

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.