SSolo
    Apr 2008

Captain, Ignitor, or Purgatory 29er tires?

I've been running Geax Saguaros 29x2.2 F/R all summer and really like them...they are not good on wet rocks and roots from what I hear. Rainy season has arrived in NorCal and I need new tires for my HT 29er. My rim/wheels are Mavic TN 719, specs from Mavic site:

ETRTO compatible size: 622 x 19
    Recommended tire widths: 1.50 to 2.30

EDIT: Forgot to say that I'm running tubes.

I've kinda narrowed it down to Specy Captain Control 2Bliss 29x2.2, Maxxis Ignitor UST 29x2.1, or Specy Purgatory Armadillo Elite 2Bliss 29x2.2. I'm kinda worried that the Ignitors don't have enough volume for HT use and never ridden them. What do you think about these tires for NorCal XC/Trail use in sandy, leafy, granite and some round smooth river rock ridiing with light mud?
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Rub it............
    I'd go with the Purgatory on the front, and the Captain on the rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Captain is a good rear tire, not so good front tire.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    I'd go with the Purgatory on the front, and the Captain on the rear.
    Why and how fast rolling is the Purgatory compared to the Captain? My SS has reversed Kenda Nevegal DTC 29x2.3 rear and Captain 29x2.2 front. Nevegal is not that great imo, heavy, slow rolling and reduced braking when run reverse that gives increased climbing...not really happy with the Nevegal. Captain is fast rolling and has been pretty predictable in wet and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2
    Captain is a good rear tire, not so good front tire.
    Why?

Spanish rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Why?
    Because it's a pretty fast roller and grips in most conditions, it's predictable. It lasts a decent amount of miles and it's not expensive compared to other tires (specially the sport version). I think it's the ideal tire to put in the back.

Cornering grip is better than other fast rolling tires, and some people prefer something that makes the rear slide before the front, but it isn't a downside really.

The real downside is that the sidewall is quite exposed (there are no tall side knobs) and you can get some cuts in certain rides.
    A pessimist is an experienced optimist

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Why no Ignitor comments? One of my trusted LBS is really pushing these and they stock both Specy and Maxxis. How does it roll compared to the Captains?
    Last edited by Natedogz; 11-01-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Spanish rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Why no Ignitor comments? One of my trusted LBS is really pushing these and they stock both Specy and Maxxis. How does it roll compared to the Captains?
    Haven't tried it, but it's another "do-it-all" tire, maybe a little better on wet terrain. No idea about rolling resistance.
    A pessimist is an experienced optimist

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for replies, I'm going with Purgatory 2.2 front and Captain 2.2 rear! Might try Ignitor if they come out with a true 2.2" width.