mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Can't get a Magic Mary Super Gravity onto an Enve M70 rim--tricks/ideas?

I've owned road and mountain bikes for a long time now, and this is the first time I've been physically unable to mount a tire on any rim. I'm trying to get a Schwalbe Magic Mary with the Super Gravity casing onto my new ENVE M70 Thirty rim, and I just can't get it there. I managed to get one bead on with some generously applied soapy water, but the second bead just wouldn't finish mounting.

It looks like the bead is so big/thick that the first bead completely fills the groove in the ENVE rim, so I can't get the second bead fully into the groove.

I'm on the verge of just resigning myself to not using this tire on this rim, but I figured I'd see if anyone had some ideas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Heat it in the oven a little so you can stretch it. Turn the oven on to warm and turn it off before you put the tire in. Try about 175 for 5 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Do you take it straight out of the oven and try to mount it, or do you stretch the beads manually?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Want to mount it right away. The idea is it makes the tire have a bit more give, not permanently stretch the bead.

Riding slowly since 1977.

Never trust a fart
    For some hard to mount tubeless tires, sometimes mounting them with a tube and letting them sit for a day or 2 helps to get them to mount tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Success.

Tried the oven trick, and another idea that I found using laundry detergent instead of dish soap. Got the rim nice and slippery, then threw the tires in the oven. I threw the tire on and with a little extra lubrication, lots of wiggling the beads, etc. I FINALLY got it on.

Then I had to do it all over again because I was in such a hurry pulling the tire out of the oven that I put it on backwards....

The good news is these should last me all winter, because damn. That was not fun. We'll see if the rear tire is just as stubborn or if I just got an extra special one for the front.

Thanks again... Good to know that after a couple decades there are still tricks to be learned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    For some hard to mount tubeless tires, sometimes mounting them with a tube and letting them sit for a day or 2 helps to get them to mount tubeless.
    I'm not sure what you mean. The problem was just getting the bead over the edge of the rim, so I don't know how that would have helped. Do you mean mounting it on a different rim or something?

Once I got the damn thing on, it pumped up and popped into place with just my floor pump.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. The problem was just getting the bead over the edge of the rim, so I don't know how that would have helped. Do you mean mounting it on a different rim or something?

Once I got the damn thing on, it pumped up and popped into place with just my floor pump.
    Actually before mounting the tire, put a tube inside the tire and pump it up (tire on its side on the floor). Pump the tube up with a lot of pressure. Then let the tire sit there for a few days. The inflated tube can help stretch the new tire out a bit before attempting to mount it on the rim.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by challybert View Post
    Actually before mounting the tire, put a tube inside the tire and pump it up (tire on its side on the floor). Pump the tube up with a lot of pressure. Then let the tire sit there for a few days. The inflated tube can help stretch the new tire out a bit before attempting to mount it on the rim.
    Interesting. It wouldn't seem possible that the tube alone would stretch the tire appreciably, but hey--might have to try it sometime.

Never trust a fart

Looking to how you originally posted, I thought you couldn't get the beads seated into the rim, not over the edge of the rim.

Your original post.

I managed to get one bead on with some generously applied soapy water, but the second bead just wouldn't finish mounting.

It looks like the bead is so big/thick that the first bead completely fills the groove in the ENVE rim, so I can't get the second bead fully into the groove.

Just a wording discrepancy.

change is good
    Sep 2004

I tried this with a TNT Gato. Put my feet inside the tire and pulled. Worked my way around both beads. Can't believed it worked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Looking to how you originally posted, I thought you couldn't get the beads seated into the rim, not over the edge of the rim.

Your original post.

I managed to get one bead on with some generously applied soapy water, but the second bead just wouldn't finish mounting.

Just a wording discrepancy.
    No worries. I'm sure the frustration at the time was making things a bit less clear too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Well, I think the front tire was a little bit of an outlier, or I just got better. Did the oven trick and used some extra liquid laundry detergent in the spray bottle, and the rear tire went on with no levers--just some strategic rolling of the tire. Still much harder than normal, but quite a bit easier this time.

I did order some of Schwalbe's "Easy Fit" juice in the event that I ever need to change one of these beasts on the trail, but hopefully the Super Gravity casing will live up to its claims of puncture and cut resistance so I never have to go there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The good news is these should last me all winter, because damn. That was not fun.
    hmm, don't expect too much. My friend's magic mary trailstar has very obvious side-knob tears after 2 rides on the front, and the vertstar is even worse by all accounts.

Fantastic tires while they last though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AgrAde View Post
    hmm, don't expect too much. My friend's magic mary trailstar has very obvious side-knob tears after 2 rides on the front, and the vertstar is even worse by all accounts.

Fantastic tires while they last though.
    Yeah, I know they're not the longest-lasting, but my trail mileage drops off in the wet season out here. We'll see. Suprisingly, it wasn't particularly hard to get them off, so at least there's that.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by challybert View Post
    Have you ever tried this?
    Didn't think so... it's not possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Are you not using a tire lever like Pedros? I pretty much switch back and forth between Magic Mary SGs and Minion EXOs a couple times a week most of the season on Nox Carbon rims.

1. ENSURE as much of the bead is running through the channel of the rim as possible, and when getting the second side on that ALL of the first is in the channel
    2. Once you've got as much bead around as possible, hold the one open end of the bead with your thumb and then start at the other end with a lever and quickly work it inch by inch and it'll easily go.

On a side note, my friends and I have a running tally filling up tubeless with only a floor pump and no valve removal (same tire setups) and were at 95% success. Carbon rims are so rad!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I have the same problem, it is a nightmare, and I have not been able to put them, I have put them in boiling water, I just need the oven but I'm a bit afraid to do this, have you found any other effective way? Greetings.