Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    254

    Can't believe no one else has brought up the dual core tire concept

    http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/06/26/...e-tire-system/

    Looks promising, super low pressures without the risk of a pinch flat...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,009
    are those used with sealant?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    254

    Can't believe no one else has brought up the dual core tire concept

    I would assume so, but the devil is in the details which should be forthcoming soon apparently the inner bladder seats the bead and is held at higher pressure, like a dual spring shock, a soft one to deal with 90% of the hits and a heavy one to deal with those last 10%


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,145

    Re: Can't believe no one else has brought up the dual core tire concept

    Quote Originally Posted by mjduct View Post
    I would assume so, but the devil is in the details which should be forthcoming soon apparently the inner bladder seats the bead and is held at higher pressure, like a dual spring shock, a soft one to deal with 90% of the hits and a heavy one to deal with those last 10%


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There was a long thread (that i can not locate) about it a few months ago, including links to a VERY similar motorcycle system than has been on the market for 5+ years
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    469
    and a very similar 4x4 system that's been on the market for many many years...


    How the Coyote Enterprises Staun II, Dual, Internal, Pneumatic Beadlock works
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!

  6. #6
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,277
    So...we are back to tubes but with tubeless and get to add 1/2 pound?
    I don't rattle.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    So...we are back to tubes but with tubeless and get to add 1/2 pound?
    I think that's the wrong way to look at it. It adds a 1/2 pound as long as everything else remains unchanged, but maybe you don't need so much rubber in the tread anymore. I don't think something like this can be judged until the rim and tire are more optimized with this in mind. Yeah it adds a tube but that tube won't get punctured. It's probably heavier regardless, but those differences are overrated.

    This thing solves the rim strike issue and helps with the bead lock, but it doesn't do much for squirm. The entire solution needs to evolve. Trouble is, you have to commit a rim to this by adding the extra drilling. You can't experiment by buying one or two, you need to sacrifice a wheelset.

    I'm hoping whatever is offered isn't sensitive or limited to inner rim widths (or at least not to narrow ones).

  8. #8
    SRAM...Shimano who cares?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    85
    If it keeps my two patches of rubber planted better than previous systems…..I'd call it a win-

    Yet, we've got to give it a try first-

    Anybody core a rim 700c/29er and stretch a tubular (traditional) over it? Then run the outer tire tubeless (stan's type) at 15psi? It'd be a bear to get on but it might be a fun experiment.

    ~JRA
    Last edited by J_R_A; 06-28-2014 at 08:10 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by J_R_A View Post
    Anybody core a rim 700c/29er and stretch a tubeless (traditional) over it? Then run the outer tire tubeless (stan's type) at 15psi? It'd be a bear to get on but it might be a fun experiment.

    ~JRA
    probably wont' work... the tube will continue stretching till it reaches the casing of the tire, or ruptures. To keep the tube at 1/2 the size of the tire, the pressures would have to be appx equal, negating the benefits of the dual chamber.

    The inner bit has to be reinforced to minimize stretching from the pressure inside, to enable using a higher pressure, which is what they're doing.
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    I think that's the wrong way to look at it. It adds a 1/2 pound as long as everything else remains unchanged, but maybe you don't need so much rubber in the tread anymore. I don't think something like this can be judged until the rim and tire are more optimized with this in mind. Yeah it adds a tube but that tube won't get punctured. It's probably heavier regardless, but those differences are overrated.

    This thing solves the rim strike issue and helps with the bead lock, but it doesn't do much for squirm. The entire solution needs to evolve. Trouble is, you have to commit a rim to this by adding the extra drilling. You can't experiment by buying one or two, you need to sacrifice a wheelset.

    I'm hoping whatever is offered isn't sensitive or limited to inner rim widths (or at least not to narrow ones).
    The Pinkbike article I read earlier said 23mm internal width minimum I think

  11. #11
    SRAM...Shimano who cares?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by shupack View Post
    probably wont' work... the tube will continue stretching till it reaches the casing of the tire, or ruptures. To keep the tube at 1/2 the size of the tire, the pressures would have to be appx equal, negating the benefits of the dual chamber.

    The inner bit has to be reinforced to minimize stretching from the pressure inside, to enable using a higher pressure, which is what they're doing.

    Sorry a tubular tire…

    ~JRA

  12. #12
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,145

    Re: Can't believe no one else has brought up the dual core tire concept

    Quote Originally Posted by J_R_A View Post
    If it keeps my two patches of rubber planted better than previous systems…..I'd call it a win-

    Yet, we've got to give it a try first-

    Anybody core a rim 700c/29er and stretch a tubular (traditional) over it? Then run the outer tire tubeless (stan's type) at 15psi? It'd be a bear to get on but it might be a fun experiment.

    ~JRA
    You need the bead of the liner tire to seat against the bead of the outer tire for this to work.

    I have played with this using an old road tire.

    The difficult part of this type of setup is installing a valve through the inner tire to inflate the outer tire.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  13. #13
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,145

    Re: Can't believe no one else has brought up the dual core tire concept

    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    The Pinkbike article I read earlier said 23mm internal width minimum I think
    Yup, and drilling a second valve hole will not destroy the rim or exclude using it with normal tire setups.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plantdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    605

    Can't believe no one else has brought up the dual core tire concept

    I'm all for advancements in product development and newfangled gadgets and can see its value for some. But personally, I'm not very interested in such a system myself. I don't seem to have any of the problems this is supposed to solve. I run pretty low pressure (18f/26r) and have never had a rim strike and only had one tire burp in 6 yrs (and that was from using a faulty pressure gauge and running something like 12psi). Maybe it's the fact that I only weigh 160, and rarely hit the gnarly stuff these days. I'm all for it if it means that the current expensive rubber will be on close out!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,916
    Stupid. Run a thinner tire? Just because it has a inner tube doesn't mean you won't still cut the tire making it useless.
    friends don't let friends Fred

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,331
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Yup, and drilling a second valve hole will not destroy the rim or exclude using it with normal tire setups.
    Yeah but you'd have to plug it or tape it and feel like a loser with an extra hole showing. I'd feel better experimenting with a less expensive rim but not something narrower than might get used otherwise.

    Not so much concerned with a minimum width as a maximum one.

  17. #17
    SRAM...Shimano who cares?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    You need the bead of the liner tire to seat against the bead of the outer tire for this to work.

    I have played with this using an old road tire.

    The difficult part of this type of setup is installing a valve through the inner tire to inflate the outer tire.
    I have not tried this…But, I've got to believe as long as you are not using M517 width rims you'd be able to get the tubular on (with some bloody knuckles and a few swears) and inside the outer tube- A grand prix tubie is about a 28c? So if you could stretch it over the bead (that'd be the trick, as it won't roll off inside the outer tire) and it sat well on the inside of the rim- It should stay inside the rim and the tire should seat??

    Inflating would be tricky I guess you'd inflate the tire first? then back off and inflate the tubular…But I've wasted hours speculating how to do it? Sounds like a project for a snow day.

    ~JRA

  18. #18
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,672

    Can't believe no one else has brought up the dual core tire concept

    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    So...we are back to tubes but with tubeless and get to add 1/2 pound?
    You may not be the target audience then, but I am very interested in this. It seems like it'll offer real advantages to me. I'll be interested to read the details this fall, and my MTX-33 wheelset is a candidate. I moved to tubeless to avoid pinch flats, but those rims just don't work with any ghetto conversion. And if I have a pair of wheels built with those rims, I'm obviously not counting grams.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    159

  20. #20
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,145

    Can't believe no one else has brought up the dual core tire concept

    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Not even close to the same idea.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    So...we are back to tubes but with tubeless and get to add 1/2 pound?
    In a word yes.

    But, if it's anything like as good as the moto version (Tubliss) you take your weight penalty in exchange for never having a pinch flat, never having a tyre burp, getting to run silly low pressure and have mid corner support without worrying about rolling a tyre off the rim.

    I doubt the weight penalty will be that bad, if it lets me move away from running dual ply tyres all the time that's 1lb on each wheel to play with. Alternatively if it lets me keep those dual plys but run 15-20 psi instead of 25-30, that's me sticking to off camber like a gecko.

  22. #22
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,145

    Can't believe no one else has brought up the dual core tire concept

    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    In a word yes.

    But, if it's anything like as good as the moto version (Tubliss) you take your weight penalty in exchange for never having a pinch flat, never having a tyre burp, getting to run silly low pressure and have mid corner support without worrying about rolling a tyre off the rim.

    I doubt the weight penalty will be that bad, if it lets me move away from running dual ply tyres all the time that's 1lb on each wheel to play with. Alternatively if it lets me keep those dual plys but run 15-20 psi instead of 25-30, that's me sticking to off camber like a gecko.
    Schwalbe was claiming a 200g weight for the liner system. Not sure if that includes sealant for the outer tire.

    You could still cut or puncture the outer tire, but as long as the inner tire is inflated the tire would stay in place and could be ridden with little or no damage to the rim.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  23. #23
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,277
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    I think that's the wrong way to look at it. It adds a 1/2 pound as long as everything else remains unchanged, but maybe you don't need so much rubber in the tread anymore. I don't think something like this can be judged until the rim and tire are more optimized with this in mind. Yeah it adds a tube but that tube won't get punctured. It's probably heavier regardless, but those differences are overrated.

    This thing solves the rim strike issue and helps with the bead lock, but it doesn't do much for squirm. The entire solution needs to evolve. Trouble is, you have to commit a rim to this by adding the extra drilling. You can't experiment by buying one or two, you need to sacrifice a wheelset.

    I'm hoping whatever is offered isn't sensitive or limited to inner rim widths (or at least not to narrow ones).

    We disagree but probably ride differently in different places.
    I don't rattle.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,791
    1. Michelin had a similar system a long time ago when tubes were still the standard.

    2. For the person asking about running a tubular road tire, there is an article out there someplace about a guy in Europe doing this with a full DIY. He actually drilled through tubular and then resealed it. Looked pretty crazy and not sure why you would have to drill through the tubular. Seems like you could just mount it in place flat, pump up the tubeless tire and then pump up the tubular inside.

    Either way I cannot wait for this system to hit the market.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,192
    So wouldn't adding this system reduce the volume inside of your tire, making it more progressive?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A good dual purpose tire?
    By askibum02 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-12-2013, 01:31 PM
  2. Has anyone ever used dual shock/tire pumps?????
    By lafd5246 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 12:44 PM
  3. dual use 29er tire
    By bradktn in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 11:07 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 10:26 AM
  5. 50% at Concept Cyclery
    By snowjnky in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •