Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cane Creek Crono rebuild, rim/spoke options?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  NDEBT 
#1 ·
I've got an old set of Cane Creek Disc V wheels (28 spoke, straight pull, nipples at hub end). I'm looking at options to rebuild these wheels using the Crono 2.0G hubs and selecting new, lighter, spokes and rims.I know the spokes are Wheelsmith and they have many options, but what options do I have as far as rims go? I ride mostly XC singletrack with some moderate jumping and plenty of rock/root obstacles.

Thanks for any input.

-Dave

#4 ·
Because of the way Cane Creek anchor the spoke at the rim, you'd likely have to see about getting Cane Creek Zonos or Terros rims (the new Duros wheels look the same as the Disc V). But they aren't likely to be that much lighter, even the lightest Zonos Disc Team wheels are about 1700gms for a pair.

The Disc V's were a 28mm wide rim, the new Terros disc wheels are only 24mm, so they will be lighter than the Disc V's at 2200gms, but the Terros disc wheels are 2025gms. The Duros wheels are over 2200gms.

You're likely better off looking at starting over with a more conventional hub/rim/spoke approach if you want to save a bunch of weight and have something that is more rebuildable & repairable at most LBS's.

#6 ·
This is why some of us keep going on & on & on about standard easily re-buildable wheels versus "boutique" wheels that use proprietary parts. I want to be able to slap a spoke in my wheels if I ever find a busted one fifteen minutes before an important ride.

#7 ·
Mike T. said:
This is why some of us keep going on & on & on about standard easily re-buildable wheels versus "boutique" wheels that use proprietary parts. I want to be able to slap a spoke in my wheels if I ever find a busted one fifteen minutes before an important ride.
Yes, well, I got these wheels when I bought a used bike, with lots of good parts, for a great deal. They are great wheels, just a little heavier than I'd like. Why can't I replace a spoke in 15 minutes on my CC wheels? I've done it...

Thanks for your "help" though.

-Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.