mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Can you spare me some wheelset advice (AM content)

Now that it's the end of the season and all the online retailers are dumping their wheelsets, I'm thinking about upgrading.

Current Set Up - Transition Transam (steel HT) w/ Transition Revolution 25 wheels (~2070 grams, blegh!). 20mm Thru axle up front and 10x135 thru axle in the rear (sliding drop outs for SS set up needs a bolt).

Me - 6'1" and about 170lbs (probably 180-185 with gear)

I alternate between SS and 1x9 set ups and do as much climbing as I do descending. I typically ride dusty, trails with roots and rocks. I'll hit the occasional jump or drop but nothing too wild.

Criteria:
    Weight - Ideally 1700g's or less (sub 1600? yes please!)
    Axle - 20mm Front, 10x135 Thru Rear (must be thru bolted!)
    Internal Rim Width - 21mm or more
    Axle Flexibility - I'd really prefer to have a hub that offers the option change axle size down the road but it's not a must.
    Tubeless - Sure, but also not a must.
    Price - Ideally around $700 but I get that light+stiff = >$1000 in many cases
    Extra - I'm open to Factory or Custom builds.

The results of my homework:
    Industry nine AM - skinny rims. neat o hubs that will have many axle options down the road. $$$
    Easton Haven - I'm having a hell of a time finding a set online with 20mm up front and it's really not clear whether they supplied with a 10mm thru or a standard QR. Amazing prices online right now.
    Easton Haven Carbon - Readily available with 20mm up front but again i'm not sure if the rear is 10mm thru. you can get a set for $1400 online now which is pretty good for a carbon wheelset.
    Easton Havoc - Slightly on the overkill/heavy side but readily available with 20mm front hub. Also I'm not sure if they have 10mm thru hubs or just the standard 9mm qr. Amazing online prices right now.
    American Classic AM - Awesome weight/price, poor axle choices for me.
    Stans/Hope Hoops - they all seem quite heavy, like 1800g or more... I like that the hubs are easy to work with.
    Stan's brand - poor axle choices for me it seems
    Mavic - Also poor axle choices for my weight range.

Let me know if you think my opinion is off or I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    The only wheelset that I have experience with that you mentioned is the Haven Carbon. Overall, it seemed like a nice setup. The one real issue that I saw was when mounting tires. There is a deep groove right below where the bead sits which makes it extremely difficult to mount and take off tires. Additionally, it was extremely finicky to get the bead to sit.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Any issues with the rear hub (ie. loosening)?

Also, is the rear hub a 10mm thru axle on your wheel set?

Custom Wheelbuilder
    The wheelset belongs to a friend of mine. I was simply doing the installation work for him. The last time I talked to him, he was still very stoked on the wheels, and as far as I know there has been no issues. The rear axle size that he is running is 12x142.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels