mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Can you build easton haven carbon rims with a Chris king hub?!

I'm sick of my easton haven carbon wheelset fowling out hub bearings...and no, I do not want to fiddle with adjusting preload every other ride. I've never laced a set, but I'm strongly considering it...I have had some hope pro Evo 2's laced up for me before and no issues, just wasn't terribly impressed...I'd like to give king a try. Anyone ever done this?!

High Gravity Haze
    Spoke count is what bites you here. I have the aluminum Havens and am sick of the same issue with the hubs, but finding 24 spoke disc hubs has been very elusive thus far for me. Love the Easton rims, hate the hubs and there's not a thing I can do about it other than continue to adjust them.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Remove the Preload nut, wrap one - 1.5 rounds of regular old teflon tape around the threads, reinstall load nut,.... never adjust again

just guessing here but everything I've even had issue with loosening up has been fix with this stuff... works MUCH better than nasty crappy lock tite/thread lock.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice idea with the Teflon! I should say, I love these rims...indestructible, tubeless, light weight...just never expected for such an amazing rim such a sub-par hub would be used - and the first one to fail was the front! I wonder if the rim translates more forces back to the hub and rattles the crap out of them...

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Blue loctite on those threads.... that's it!
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden View Post
    Works for me too.

Easton was great about hooking me up with the latest axle & bits.... For about $12 shipped.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden View Post
    ya, I've had issues with the loctite, not that it wont work, it usually does, but areas where I want to do general inspection and or maintenance once a yr or so (pretty much any bearing)I find it makes a mess of things. The Teflon tape works as well, and better in high vibration area where loctite often cracks and works free. Also when you take it apart the Loctite is extremely difficult to clean off the threads, esp on the inside of the nut. The Teflon Tape cleans out in about 2 sec, unlike Locktite that leaves a crumbly crusty mess behind. Wont be affected if there is any residue of grease or oil like loctite does, and is a good bit cheaper
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec7 View Post
    Spoke count is what bites you here. I have the aluminum Havens and am sick of the same issue with the hubs, but finding 24 spoke disc hubs has been very elusive thus far for me. Love the Easton rims, hate the hubs and there's not a thing I can do about it other than continue to adjust them.
    DT Swiss 340 Disc Rear Hub - QR | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

DT Swiss 340, 24hole for $75. You're welcome. Merry Christmas.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Chris King's new R45 cyclocross disc hubs look like they will be coming in a 24h version. Just have to make sure the axle is 135mm.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Aren't the Easton's 28 spoke? not 24?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Aren't the Easton's 28 spoke? not 24?
    Nope, they're 24h 3-cross, F&R.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    In my opinion, I don't see a 135mm axle up front as a viable axle for a wheelset touted as indestructible and stiff...kinda defeats the purpose...still, I've been looking at that m1 hub...is it really that much different from their road offerings?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadFirst! View Post
    In my opinion, I don't see a 135mm axle up front as a viable axle for a wheelset touted as indestructible and stiff...kinda defeats the purpose...still, I've been looking at that m1 hub...is it really that much different from their road offerings?
    Who is using 135mm up front? Besides fat bikes?

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Nope, they're 24h 3-cross, F&R.
    the 3x part is debatable, since they are straight-pull.

if you were to find and build them with 24h hubs of a normal design, they would have to be laced 2x.

Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    DT Swiss 340 Disc Rear Hub - QR | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

DT Swiss 340, 24hole for $75. You're welcome. Merry Christmas.
    Awesome find, thanks!

mtbr member
    Checked out the 24H DT hubs and they are QR only. I did find the White Industries MI6 though, 24H with any axle configuration and six bolt disc mount. Looks like exactly what we have been looking for!

White Industries

High Gravity Haze
    Take note of the straight pull spoke requirements on the Havens....

The only straight pull, 24h, disc hub that I've been able to find is the Hope Pro3. Next step is actually being able to buy just the hubs and not an entire wheelset here in the US.

Hope Pro3 SP-XC6

mtbr member
    There is no requirement of straight pull spokes unless you want to reuse the old ones. Not sure if they are proprietary nipples (they look very similar to Mavic nipples), but you can buy them directly from Easton and they will fit 1.7 spoke threads.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    If the stock spokes are dbl-butted 2.0/1.7/2.0, you would want 2.0 (14g) nipples

ups and downs
    Another option is to buy a set of these XTR wheels for $399 for the 24 spoke hubs, and move the XTR hubs over to the Easton carbon rims. The XTR hubs are light and pretty reliable.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

FM
    luxatio erecta
    It's good to have options... but the most recent version of the easton rear axle & parts are working fine for me. They are a little quirky and definitely not "idiot-proof", but mine are slop free and haven't required adjustment in quite a while.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    If the stock spokes are dbl-butted 2.0/1.7/2.0, you would want 2.0 (14g) nipples
    Thanks for catching that! I traded some emails with Hope and they will sell the 24 hole straight pull rear hub separate! Sounds like a great solution to me. I still have problems with my hubs coming loose front and rear even with the new axle. My preferred riding is a lot of chunk at high speeds so that may have something to do with it.