Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 52
  1. #26
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,906
    Sorry, I hear what you're saying, but that's a band aid instead of a proper fix and that's something I only do in a pinch, maybe out on the trail or just before a ride when the proper solution can't be done. No way I have a new wheelset, with maybe hub issues like he does and I true an already true rotor

    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Whether or not the hub is the culprit he can correct the issue, move on, and start riding the bike by simply truing the installed rotor on the new wheel. If I install a new rotor on a hub and it wobbles, I don't spend a ton of time and money trying to figure out what the problem is. I true the rotor in 5 minutes and go ride.

    Somehow I don't think the message is coming across.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  2. #27
    Bicycle Addict
    Reputation: J3SSEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Whether or not the hub is the culprit he can correct the issue, move on, and start riding the bike by simply truing the installed rotor on the new wheel. If I install a new rotor on a hub and it wobbles, I don't spend a ton of time and money trying to figure out what the problem is. I true the rotor in 5 minutes and go ride.

    Somehow I don't think the message is coming across.
    This man has a point.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

  3. #28
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,132
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    No way I have a new wheelset, with maybe hub issues like he does and I true an already true rotor
    Taking a file to a brand new machined and anodized aluminum hub shell to "fix" an issue that can be corrected easily and quickly isn't my first choice.
    Different strokes, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Taking a file to a brand new machined and anodized aluminum hub shell to "fix" an issue that can be corrected easily and quickly isn't my first choice.
    Different strokes, I guess.
    Kinda like reaming out a seat tube to fix a tight seatpost instead of sanding the post a little...

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    216
    Plus for all we know, it could just need to be adjusted better. This is like trying to figure out what color someone's eyes are while talking over the phone and they happen to be color blind.

  6. #31
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,906
    All you guys amaze me, honestly The guy is doing the right thing and taking the wheels to the shop to see if they can help him figure out the problem and get it fixed PROPERLY, not some half assed excuse of a fix.

    Uh, no, something with the hub is off, either the bearings aren't properly seated, the recess for the bearings isn't reemed properly or the disc rotor flange isn't square, either way, the hub is not finished properly and should be, that IS the correct way to go about something, not some half assed "fix".
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Taking a file to a brand new machined and anodized aluminum hub shell to "fix" an issue that can be corrected easily and quickly isn't my first choice.
    Different strokes, I guess.
    If a seattube is not to spec, then YES you ream it out, you don't sand a fvcking post to weaken it
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Kinda like reaming out a seat tube to fix a tight seatpost instead of sanding the post a little...
    Who'd be dumb enough to try to guess someones eye colour over the phone with a colour blind person
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvpr View Post
    Plus for all we know, it could just need to be adjusted better. This is like trying to figure out what color someone's eyes are while talking over the phone and they happen to be color blind.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  7. #32
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,132
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    All you guys amaze me, honestly The guy is doing the right thing and taking the wheels to the shop to see if they can help him figure out the problem and get it fixed PROPERLY, not some half assed excuse of a fix.

    Uh, no, something with the hub is off, either the bearings aren't properly seated, the recess for the bearings isn't reemed properly or the disc rotor flange isn't square, either way, the hub is not finished properly and should be, that IS the correct way to go about something, not some half assed "fix".
    I'll bet you the shop trues the rotor. No bike shop is tooled to face rotor mounts.
    Truing is not "half-assed," that's just your unproductive inflammatory opinion.
    Any shop employee that has half a brain is not going to file that hub. The other remedy if the hub is out of spec is to warranty it and wait.
    These are bikes, not fighter jets; sometimes you just make it work.
    Truing does not have a down side.

    OP- Let us know how it works out. Good luck.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 01-05-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,397
    dp.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    All you guys amaze me, honestly The guy is doing the right thing and taking the wheels to the shop to see if they can help him figure out the problem and get it fixed PROPERLY, not some half assed excuse of a fix.



    If a seattube is not to spec, then YES you ream it out, you don't sand a fvcking post to weaken it

    :
    Your a genius, I never said the frame was out of spec, usually its the seapost given the shear number produced compared to frames. Go ahead and ream the frame to fix the over sized seat post.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,167
    Sometimes tolerance stacking ends up not in ones favor. It would be nice if a final pass with bearings installed was made on the rotor mounting face of the hub to square things up.
    lean forward

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Who'd be dumb enough to try to guess someones eye colour over the phone with a colour blind person
    It's a metaphor, to describe the futileness of diagnosing mechanical problems with out seeing said mechanical things in person......

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride View Post
    Sometimes tolerance stacking ends up not in ones favor. It would be nice if a final pass with bearings installed was made on the rotor mounting face of the hub to square things up.
    Correct me if I am wrong, if one did this and the oem bearings weren't installed to spec you would be screwed when you go to replace the bearings.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,167
    Correct. One hopes a manufacture would not screw this stage up.
    lean forward

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AK47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride View Post
    Correct. One hopes a manufacture would not screw this stage up.
    Hope you are right. LBS said after pulling apart the front hub, nothing was screaming at them in terms of critical wear. The bearings do indeed show wear, but nothing critical. They are ordering new bearings and end caps to determine if this is the issue, and at only $35 for the investment, I'm willing to experiment. I should know in about 1 week.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,167
    Has anyone ever checked a new stem for squareness and round holes? Or a crooked frame? Wheel with wrong offset? If you are lookin for perfect, good luck. A lot of this stuff is a do it yourself kit.

    Warp the rotor to fit the hub and go riding. You'll change out the hub or wheel only to find the same or worse results. If only it had a batch number..
    lean forward

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AK47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,029
    No way in hell I'm warping a brand new, perfectly good (and not cheap) rotor to make it work. That's like treating the symptoms and not the cause.

    If this doesn't fix the problem, then I'll sell off what I can of the Stan's wheelset and use the Mavic wheelset off my FS bike since I don't really ride it during the wet winter/spring months and be done with it...

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,167
    I will say my 2 Mavic hubs are really straight and true compared to my others. Maybe I shoulda used adjust instead of warp
    lean forward

  18. #43
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,283
    A lot of times truing a rotor is a standard procedure. They are very rarely straight from the factory. Nor do they stay straight under normal riding. If you do decided to go the easy route and true it, you can always true it back when what ever is going on with the hub get's corrected.

    Have you tried mounting the rotor in different positioning on the hub to see how it affects the problem? Does the wobble in the rotor stay the same relative to the hub? If the end caps and bearings you've ordered don't fix the problem I would just replace the hub. It's not worth trying to machine or file it down. Especially if it's under warranty. FWIW when you get Stans on the phone they are probably going to just suggest that you true the rotor. Like M-feather said, there really isn't a compromise with this solution.

    FWIW, I know the C-dale/CX world team keeps their rotors matted to a specific wheel and keeps them clocked to a specific orientation when they get removed for travel. They do this because even their top end race quality parts still have quirks on setup. On the occasion their system breaks down, they just re-true the rotor to the new position.

  19. #44
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,906
    Curious AK, you haven't mentioned if you've given Stans a call about this, I'd expect these wheels are new and they'd deal with it under warranty or are the wheels 2nd hand? Customs suggestion of rotating the rotor would for sure tell you if it is only the ub or a combination of hub and rotor.

    As to 1niceride, yes, most of my stems come square, but I did buy a couple OEM Cdale stems and they were not, casting had more material on one side of the clamping area than the other, faceplate was alright, so I filled/sanded down the high side to square things up. I've also filed down forks tabs to square them up on an old IS tabbed fork, it's actually something that was done a lot, Hope has a sweet tool for it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AK47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Curious AK, you haven't mentioned if you've given Stans a call about this, I'd expect these wheels are new and they'd deal with it under warranty or are the wheels 2nd hand?
    I purchased the wheelset brand new about 1.5 years ago. Stan's only has a 1 year warranty, but if the new end caps/bearing doesn't solve the problem I will certainly be giving them a call to inquire. Other than this issue, they have been great wheels. If I need to, hopefully an LBS would be willing to remove the ZTR front hub and re-use the rim with a new hub...

  21. #46
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,132
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    I purchased the wheelset brand new about 1.5 years ago. Stan's only has a 1 year warranty, but if the new end caps/bearing doesn't solve the problem I will certainly be giving them a call to inquire. Other than this issue, they have been great wheels. If I need to, hopefully an LBS would be willing to remove the ZTR front hub and re-use the rim with a new hub...
    Since you've been riding the wheel for 1.5 years, is this the first time the issue has come up?
    If the Avid rotor ran true for a year and a half, then got warped, did you true it at that point?
    Did you install the Avid rotor initially? Was it true then? If so, the problem is not the rotor mount facing, obviously.
    It seems odd to replace a hub that you've used successfully for 1.5 years because a rotor got warped, if that's what's happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  22. #47
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,283
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Since you've been riding the wheel for 1.5 years, is this the first time the issue has come up?
    If the Avid rotor ran true for a year and a half, then got warped, did you true it at that point?
    Did you install the Avid rotor initially? Was it true then? If so, the problem is not the rotor mount facing, obviously.
    It seems odd to replace a hub that you've used successfully for 1.5 years because a rotor got warped, if that's what's happening.
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AK47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Since you've been riding the wheel for 1.5 years, is this the first time the issue has come up?
    Yes. I first noticed something odd about a month ago. These wheels were on another bike, and I was changing from a 160 to 180mm Avid rotor (using w/ BB7's). I first noticed the side-to-side wiggle in the rotor then, initially thinking, this is a brand new rotor and it's already warped!.

    This was easy to "tune out", however, with the BB7 adjuster knobs. I had used the wheelset previously on one other bike that had Shimano hydraulic brakes with no rotor/rubbing issues.

    I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but if I take the same exact rotor off the Stan's wheelset that wiggles and put it on the stock wheelset, it runs true. I don't know what further evidence is needed based on those test result to indicate that there is some issue with the Stan's wheelset causing the rotor wiggle.
    Last edited by AK47; 01-08-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: typo

  24. #49
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,132
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    This was easy to "tune out", however, with the BB7 adjuster knobs.
    You don't tune out rotor wobble with the brake caliper. That's like adjusting your derailleur by spacing out your chain line.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but if I take the same exact rotor off the Stan's wheelset that wiggles and put it on the stock wheelset, it runs true. I don't know what further evidence is needed based on those test result to indicate that there is some issue with the Stan's wheelset causing the rotor wiggle.
    I don't mean to either.
    However, to be blunt, I seems like you are VASTLY over-complicating this "problem." Whether or not there is some "issue" with your hub, a 5-minute adjustment would have had you riding days ago... end of story.
    Instead we're going in circles on the internet about whether your hub should be faced to X tolerance or should you buy another hub and pay someone to relace your wheel or should you file your rotor mounts.
    Truing a rotor really is no big deal and would put an end to your problems quickly and easily. Period.
    Good luck widdit.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 01-08-2013 at 07:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,167
    Very few things I've bought were perfect. Most needed something. Fork needs levels checked when new. Brand new replacement electric motors need oil, most are near dry. I even had to "adjust" a brand new toaster..had to cut off some air inlets at the bottom so it would run hotter. Ever bought a new car?

    Rotor truing is standard procedure.
    You need at least 2 bikes like me. One to make perfect and one to ride.

    I do feel your pain AK47..I do.



    Just thinking..Hub face has .001in run-out. From my puter bolt circle is about 2"...1" radius..Project that out to a 6" or 8" disk..3-4 radius..quickly is .004 at the caliper. With the close pad clearance ,004 minus pad clearance, leaves little room without rubbing at least some of the time. You probably know .001in is not much. Out of aprox 8 sets of disks and hubs I've owned all needed tweeking for a no rub ride. Have at it..
    Last edited by 1niceride; 01-08-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    lean forward

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •