Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Can I get away with 14/17 spokes?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  thebronze 
#1 ·
I've decided to bite the bullet and go disc, so I'm having a new wheelset built up. I've already got a set of Mavic X3.1's (disc specific), a Hope Bulb rear hub, and a Ritchey Z-hub Pro for the front.

I do ride aggressively (fast & furious with the occasional jump) and this wheelset will be bolted onto an Intense Uzzi SL & a Marzocchi BAM (4.5 & 4 inches of travel respectively). I haven't decided on brakes yet, but I'll definitely go w/ 6" rotors.

I was planning to go with 14/15 butted spokes built 3x w/ alloy spokes, but I'm wondering if I can get away with a thinner spoke (41/17, or a straight 15) since I'm only 130 lbs. My rims generally last forever--I've got a Mavic 220 up front that's been on my main MTB for 8 years and I don't think it's ever even had to be trued (built 3x with 14/15 spokes). Any other ideas--what about radial lacing on the front wheel drive side. . .. I do want a solid wheelset, but I'm a recovering weight weenie and this bike is getting heavy. A 30 lb. bike is almost 1/4 of my body weight!

Thanks for any input,

Zizzle

#2 ·
Zizzle to the Tizzle said:
I was planning to go with 14/15 butted spokes built 3x w/ alloy spokes, but I'm wondering if I can get away with a thinner spoke (41/17, or a straight 15) since I'm only 130 lbs. I do want a solid wheelset, but I'm a recovering weight weenie and this bike is getting heavy. A 30 lb. bike is almost 1/4 of my body weight!
14/15 or straight 15 w alloy nips is good enough
Might be easier to loose weight by changing forks, tires, handlebar, and so on.
I think new tires are the easiest upgrade to shave off 100 grams or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.