mtbr member
    May 2011

Butcher tire types (control, SX and DH) - which one?

heya all...

running butcher control (the lightest of the 3 types) on my AM bike and really like them.

busy building a new free ride type rig, will be running tubeless in UST.

EDIT: well I might have answered my own question with more research, seems this tire is not UST

but undecided about what kind of tires to put on them for socal sand. Will mostly be riding steep stuff (which usually has lots of loose sand or tons of little rocks), jumps and ledge drops.

I'm leaning to the butchers because they work well, but now I don't know which of the 3 I should buy?

obviously I see all three have the same tread pattern, but the weight difference going from control to DH is large, almost double!

unsure of which tire I should be choosing, obviously the DH tire is going to be the toughest to break, but what other benefits would the DH model give and is it worth that extra weight? because some of the pedals up are pretty long to me at least (2000 feet vertical plus)

same with the SX, what benefits vs weight addon?
    Last edited by jasonjm; 05-06-2012 at 11:35 PM.

mtbr member
    If you like the Butcher Control but want something tougher for AM/DH type riding where you still have to ride up, the SX looks like the tire you want. It is tubeless ready (2Bliss) and has a tougher casing and side wall.

I just got a set for my Knolly DT and am anxious to try them. I've been running the Minion DHF Exos for the past couple of years and like them alot so think I will like the Butchers even more.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ok so the butcher SX are not 2bliss ready (only the control is)

but I guess they will still work in mavic 823 UST rims with a bit of stans?

mtbr member
    Looks like you're right. Hmm. My mistake. I assumed they were.

I know a couble of guys that are running them tubeless without issue. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work on the 823 rims.

I'll be mounting mine on DT 5.10 D and Mavic XM325 rims using a stans strip on the DT rim and ghetto (BMX split tube) tubeless on the Mavic and Stan's sealant. I'll post back on how it goes.

Disclaimer: KRob------->Not a tire or tubeless expert.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Looks like you're right. Hmm. My mistake. I assumed they were.

I know a couble of guys that are running them tubeless without issue. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work on the 823 rims.

I'll be mounting mine on DT 5.10 D and Mavic XM325 rims using a stans strip on the DT rim and ghetto (BMX split tube) tubeless on the Mavic and Stan's sealant. I'll post back on how it goes.

Disclaimer: KRob------->Not a tire or tubeless expert.
    I've run both the Butcher SX and Control. Love the Butcher SX on the front. Rolls nicely with enough air, run it at lower pressure and it's a killer DH tire. This is on my AM setup on 521 Mavic rims. My DH wheels have Butcher SX 2.5 for the front, 2.3 for the rear. It's an awesome tire.

The DH casing will be heavier and the knobs wear faster. Pick your poison.

Ran a Control and it was meh. Rounder profile, folded at lower pressures. Could break traction on it pretty easily. Haven't broken traction on the SX in the front yet.

The Butcher Control in the back rolls unevenly. Still looking for the perfect rear tire.

Currently running the Butcher SX 2.3 in the front and the Spec Captain Control 2.2 in the back, both tubeless. Will probably roll a Captain S-Works 2.2 in the back next time to save some weight since I run 32 in the back and 30 in the front.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I've run both the Butcher SX and Control. Love the Butcher SX on the front. Rolls nicely with enough air, run it at lower pressure and it's a killer DH tire. This is on my AM setup on 521 Mavic rims. My DH wheels have Butcher SX 2.5 for the front, 2.3 for the rear. It's an awesome tire.

The DH casing will be heavier and the knobs wear faster. Pick your poison.

Ran a Control and it was meh. Rounder profile, folded at lower pressures. Could break traction on it pretty easily. Haven't broken traction on the SX in the front yet.

The Butcher Control in the back rolls unevenly. Still looking for the perfect rear tire.

Currently running the Butcher SX 2.3 in the front and the Spec Captain Control 2.2 in the back, both tubeless. Will probably roll a Captain S-Works 2.2 in the back next time to save some weight since I run 32 in the back and 30 in the front.
    I like the 2.3 SX up front as well. I run a trail king 2.2 in the rear and it makes a great combo. It brakes much much much better then the captain.

mtbr member
    I liked the Butcher Control on the rear of my trail bike, thought it rolled surprisingly well for a 50d soft compound tire and had great cornering and braking traction. I ran it around 31-32psi. durability is the weak spot. I tore up the sidewalls, started ripping sideknobs and had worn down the center tread in about 2 months. If not for the sidewalls tears I might have milked another month out of it. that said, I'd run it again. I wouldn't expect too much longevity from the SX either, based on anecdotal evidence on the web. I wish they'd offer a Butcher Armadillo in a slightly harder compound to run as a rear...

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I like the 2.3 SX up front as well. I run a trail king 2.2 in the rear and it makes a great combo. It brakes much much much better then the captain.

It's a great front tire. Not had the wear issues people have with it, and it seems to be pretty strong. I might go back to the 2.5 maxxis Exo but I'll definitely try the trail king 2.2 in the back. It's good rolling and good braking and not too heavy? that sounds perfect. Thanks for the recommendation
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

I'm with stupid
    Yes I run the black chili in the rear and feel it rolls very well and has much more grip ( colorado front range) then a lot of other tires I have tried on the rear. Best part about the tire that I like is we have alot of decomposed granite here kinda like 1" deep gravel in places on the trail. The trail kig does not slow down or drag when switching over to this type of "soil" on the trail. Many other tires bog down and zap speed and strength. I dont think it is too heavy in the 600ish grams IIRC and its very large 2.2 also.

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    ok so the butcher SX are not 2bliss ready (only the control is)

but I guess they will still work in mavic 823 UST rims with a bit of stans?
    i mounted a butcher sx 2.5 on an 823 recently. only have 2 rides on it so far but (knock on wood) i feel like this might be the perfect tire. im running it on the front, btw. mounted up with no problems whatsoever... 2 ounces of stans and 1 shot from the compressor and it was ready to rock. set right at 27-28 psi (im 215 w/o gear).

ive been running minions dhf & dhr for about a year and half, 2-ply 3C. absolutely love em... other than that pesky 1300 g a tire deal as well as the 2.5 being more a true 2.3. the butcher sx 2.5 seems to solve all of those issues. its a true 2.5, it is essential a slighty tweaked minion dhf, tread-wise, which i love in all conditions, sets-up flawlessly tubeless and it is about 500+ grams lighter. i know its not quite apples to apples due to single ply vs double but the sidewalls of this butcher sx are far from flimsy... only time will tell on that aspect but they are fairly burly.

2 rides on hard/tacky/fast to straight-up moon dust & loose with lots of rocks ... very typically flagstaff conditions for this time of year. the thing rails... plain and simple. rides just like a minion dhf 2.5 , but its actually 2.5. has that same very predictable and controllable drift when it actually does cut loose.

so far i really dig this tire (paired with a hans dampf 2.35 in the back)... has the potential to be the perfect tire for me depending on how it holds up over time.