mtbr member

Burly rear tire suggestions - light DH tire?

I've been running the Specialized Purgatory Controls for a about a year now and I really like them. However, I've gone through two of them now due to slashing the sidewall. The front doesn't seem to have this problem, or maybe it's that I instinctively avoid sharp rocks better with the front tire. I only know that in my ride group 4 out of about 10 tires have had sidewall gashes...not a great ratio. I love the tires, they work great for the trails I ride, but burning $50 each time sucks.

Bottom line is that I'm looking for a more durable sidewall tire that is similar to the Purgatory. I'm thinking of maybe a light DH tire? I ride both up and down the mountain, so I don't want to pay too high of a weight penalty. However, I'll gladly take a stout sidewall at the cost of a couple hundred grams. Also, they need to be tubeless compatible as they'll be set up as such on my Crosstrail rims.

Here's a few I'm thinking about:
    Spec Butcher SX
    WTB Bronson 2.3 AM TCS
    Bontrager FR4
    "Got everything you need?"

Former Bike Wrench
    Have you considered a Purgatory Grid which has thicker sidewalls?

mtbr member
    I haven't but was just looking at the eskar grid ust. Very stout sidewalls and a good tread pattern.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; 07-20-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    "Got everything you need?"