mtbr member

Building new bike up Mavic Crossmax SLR 29 vs ST 29

OK, so I'm building up a new 29er and I've always liked the Crossmax wheels so I'm planning to put those on the new bike. I was leaning towards the SLR 29s but my LBS owner, who is building the bike up for me is trying to talk me out of them. I know there's a weight limit on them and I'm right around 200lbs, which exceeds the limit. However, I'm not a hucker, don't do any big jumps or downhilling. Dude it trying to tell me that, because of the increased diameter of the wheel it will be more susceptible to bending, warping, breaking, etc. He's trying to push me towards the STs which are also a good wheel. I think he's just worried over nothing. I would go with the MP3 program but he says you can't do that if he discounts the wheels and he usually gives me a pretty good discount. Ergo, I'd be hosed if the wheels snapped. I appreciate your help in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    .....don't want to be a downer here because I understand what you want to accomplish but when it comes to wheels, I am a firm believer in building them a bit stronger than needed rather than a bit lighter than needed. The last thing you ever need is to kill a wheel in the middle of no where or have it blowup on you at the worst possible time.....the risk is just not worth it....add to that, being hosed if it failed and I just don't see enough upside here.

Bill J

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by specbill View Post
    .....don't want to be a downer here because I understand what you want to accomplish but when it comes to wheels, I am a firm believer in building them a bit stronger than needed rather than a bit lighter than needed. The last thing you ever need is to kill a wheel in the middle of no where or have it blowup on you at the worst possible time.....the risk is just not worth it....add to that, being hosed if it failed and I just don't see enough upside here.

Bill J
    No, I appreciate your advice Bill. Not being a downer at all.

SLR
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    would go with the STs, I'm 200 all geared up and they have been great

mtbr member
    I'm 190 geared up. Where did you read the SLRs had a weight limit on them? I couldn't find that info anywhere...

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    OK, so I'm building up a new 29er and I've always liked the Crossmax wheels so I'm planning to put those on the new bike. I was leaning towards the SLR 29s but my LBS owner, who is building the bike up for me is trying to talk me out of them. I know there's a weight limit on them and I'm right around 200lbs, which exceeds the limit. However, I'm not a hucker, don't do any big jumps or downhilling. Dude it trying to tell me that, because of the increased diameter of the wheel it will be more susceptible to bending, warping, breaking, etc. He's trying to push me towards the STs which are also a good wheel. I think he's just worried over nothing. I would go with the MP3 program but he says you can't do that if he discounts the wheels and he usually gives me a pretty good discount. Ergo, I'd be hosed if the wheels snapped. I appreciate your help in advance.
    I'd consider American Classic 29er Tubeless, over both options. I have not tried SLR but have extensive experience with Crossmax 29 and was not impressed - they were not as stiff as i wanted them to be, and not as light as i would expect for the price. they did hold true and rolled well.

American Classic should cost you less, will be stiffer and wider than Mavic, plus the hub is rock solid.

if you have to pick between the two Mavic's - i'd go with ST.

good luck with your decision

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by daponik View Post
    I'm 190 geared up. Where did you read the SLRs had a weight limit on them? I couldn't find that info anywhere...
    Ditto. I'm curious to know as well since I just got the SLR's because various bike shops told me there was no weight limit and told me the wheels were strong enough for my 200lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The mavic site shows only a 90g difference between the ST and SLR. I asked mavic as I weigh 220 before gear they recommended the ST for me. It won't be until the end of January before they arrive 😭. Personally if they need regular service. I am ok with that. I like to timker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daponik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJIV View Post
    Ditto. I'm curious to know as well since I just got the SLR's because various bike shops told me there was no weight limit and told me the wheels were strong enough for my 200lbs.
    In all honesty, I may only know this anecdotally. That was my understanding ever since Mavic came out with the 26" SLR. I actually think I heard the limit was 180lbs. In conversations with my LBS owner or any other employee I've ever spoken to no one ever said "there is no weight limit" but I could be wrong. We could certainly do some research on this.

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    I'd consider American Classic 29er Tubeless, over both options. I have not tried SLR but have extensive experience with Crossmax 29 and was not impressed - they were not as stiff as i wanted them to be, and not as light as i would expect for the price. they did hold true and rolled well.

American Classic should cost you less, will be stiffer and wider than Mavic, plus the hub is rock solid.

if you have to pick between the two Mavic's - i'd go with ST.

good luck with your decision
    I believe if I go with the Mavics it will be the ST but I will certainly look into the American Classics. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by shiftless89 View Post
    The mavic site shows only a 90g difference between the ST and SLR. I asked mavic as I weigh 220 before gear they recommended the ST for me. It won't be until the end of January before they arrive ��. Personally if they need regular service. I am ok with that. I like to timker
    I noticed this as well. I could only assume that they think some of the weight is moved away from the rim and, as such, would be rotational weight as opposed to static weight but who knows. The bottom line is that 90g seems like a very small amount to spend a lot more $ on and esp to risk damage.

Thanks again all!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Regarding rider's weight for Mavic (scroll down):

Canyon | Service | Technical Supports | Mountainbike

mtbr member
    Holy thread resurrections, Batman! I took a look and saw that I asked a question on this thread a year ago. But I am happy to report that I took the plunge and picked up a set of CrossMax SLR 29s for my Giant XTC hardtail. I trained on them and raced on them for the entire 2013 race season and I have to say that they are worth every penny. They were more than stiff enough to handle my weight and the weight savings over the stock Giant wheels amounted to almost 2 pounds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hi Daponik what sort of riding did you take them on ? Rock gardens? Xc stuff? Am stuff?

I'm 235 all in and my ST's have been great even though I'm 103 kg and that canyon website from above says recommended 100kg.

My local Mavic/LBS Are recommending the SLR's as they said they are strong....but I'm not so sure

mtbr member
    We have a wide mix of riding here. From grassy and jungle single and doubletrack mixed in with plenty of big roots and rock gardens all the way up to technical climbs with steep rocky descents. I would prolly call them AM trails, but since it is all we have on Guam, we use them for the Xterra and local XC races.

I was 185 geared up during last season's race series and the SLRs held up beautifully. I would have definitely bought another set for my new Anthem 27.5, but they don't save that much weight over the stock wheels, so I guess I'm going to have to look at some carbon wheels if I want to drop some more weight off the bike. My body weight is down to 173 now, so that opens up a few more weenie options for me, I think.
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 1
    Pretty much bone stock for now
    What should I upgrade first?