mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Building Mavic XM 819 w/ aluminium nipples

Is it OK to build custom wheelset on XM819 using alu. nipples ?
    As I see XM819 has alu. eyelets so will it be ok to use alu nipples with these alu eyelets? Or in times on eyelet-nipple contact point there will be chemical welding and it will unable to true the wheel...?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I built up a set of wheels using the 819 the other month. I can't say whether this will work or not work.........but based on observations I had here's my take.

The Al eyelets and the Al nipples will probably "gawl" and give you problems.

When I was tensioning the spokes with the standard length brass nipples, it was difficult (with standard length nipples). It became easy to round of the nipples because I couldn't get complete engagement with the park spoke tool I use. Therefore, I am fearing unless you can somehow get LONGER Al nipples, you're going to have trouble tensioning the spokes.

Question:
    Why are you using 819 rim and wanting to use Al nipples? Weight savings? Seems you'd be able to build a lighter wheel using a 717 rim and Al nipples...........

Anyway, good luck with that, hope you find your answers and it all works out.

Aloha,
    g

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by gylka
    Is it OK to build custom wheelset on XM819 using alu. nipples ?
    As I see XM819 has alu. eyelets so will it be ok to use alu nipples with these alu eyelets? Or in times on eyelet-nipple contact point there will be chemical welding and it will unable to true the wheel...?

Thanks
    Works just fine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats
    When I was tensioning the spokes with the standard length brass nipples, it was difficult (with standard length nipples). It became easy to round of the nipples because I couldn't get complete engagement with the park spoke tool I use.

Why are you using 819 rim and wanting to use Al nipples? Weight savings? Seems you'd be able to build a lighter wheel using a 717 rim and Al nipples...........
    I read in earlier topics here that for using these rim it recomended longer nipples. Thanks.

I want to run tubless without rimstrips and convertion kits. And of course Al.Nipples is for weight saving 717 won't have such problems cause there's steel eyelets but now I'm thinking about 819.
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Works just fine.
    Pardon, but how long it works fine? And when was the last time you (or who is using it) tried to true the wheel?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gylka
    I read in earlier topics here that for using these rim it recomended longer nipples. Thanks.

I want to run tubless without rimstrips and convertion kits. And of course Al.Nipples is for weight saving 717 won't have such problems cause there's steel eyelets but now I'm thinking about 819.

Pardon, but how long it works fine? And when was the last time you (or who is using it) tried to true the wheel?

Thanks
    The wheels are 6 years old, used hard, and have never needed to be trued. They were build right.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I run 12mm alloy nipples on several sets of 819s and 823s. No problem whatsoever. I put one drop of Boeshield on each eyelet nipple as I am truing it. Actually, I use quite a few condiments. spoke prep on spoke threads, blue loctite on eyelet threads and boeshield on the nipple/eyelet surface.

EDR

Longer nipples are recommened by Mavic...

I read in earlier topics here that for using these rim it recomended longer nipples.
    I'm no wheelbuilder but I know that my 819's should have been built with 16mm nipples, not 12mm.

When you break a spoke off at the nipple and it falls into your rim, never to be retrieved....you'll know why you should have used 16mm.

Long live long rides.

question in a similar vein

how the heck do you LACE a mavic 819 x rim? I understand the need for longer nipples, but.... just looking @ pictures I do not understand. Could someone describe how one laces up these rims?

Also - does anyone know if they come in 28 h?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Life and Liberty
    how the heck do you LACE a mavic 819 x rim? I understand the need for longer nipples, but.... just looking @ pictures I do not understand. Could someone describe how one laces up these rims?

Also - does anyone know if they come in 28 h?

Thanks
    1. You do not need longer nipples. Just can make it easier to build.

2. Lacing: you thread the nipple cup into the rim after putting it and the nipple on the spoke.

3. 32 hole only in the aftermarket
    mtbtires.com

Long live long rides.
    Thanks shiggy.

Follow up -

Would you go with the STANS ztr 335 (need V brake option) or the Mavic 819 ?

Spokes will be Sapim CX - Ray

Hubs - White M15 & ENO rear.

That's my question, what is the better tubeless system? I hear that the mavic system tends to burb, but no sealant is a really nice feature.

STANS is lighter, but you have to use sealant.

Is the STANS rim technically UST?

again, many thanks.