mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Build Quality of Wheelsmith built wheels?

Does anyone have experience with the quality of wheels built by Wheelsmith?

I found a good price on wheels I've been considering having built. They happen to be built by Wheelsmith. My understanding is that Wheelsmith has a good reputation, but is now owned by Hayes. Is the build quality still good? Are these wheels machine built only, or machine built and stressed & final tensioned by hand?

I want a well-built solid set of wheels. I've been planning on using BWW, but I ran across these. Just don't want to regret the purchase if the build quality isn't there.

mtbr member
    How much are you planning to spend? Also check out Chainreationcycles

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/K...x?ModelID=7599

Take a look at the prebuilt Hope wheels too. I just got a set with the Pro2 hubs and EX500 rims shipped to my door for $345.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anybody have experience with Wheelsmith?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bruneti
    Anybody have experience with Wheelsmith?
    I did prior to their Hayes acquisition and they were solid builds. I really like their spokes, they are equal to DT ime. I have no idea if their builds have been affected by the Hayes ownership...though Hayes has breathed new life into Manitou so I would assume Wheelsmith still does good builds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So I bought the new set of wheels built by Wheelsmith.
    Mavic 717's on 32 hole Shimano XT M775 black centerlock hubs with 36 pts of engagement using Wheelsmith black DB spokes and silver alloy nips for $209. Seems to be a very well built set of wheels. The details in the paperwork stated that the wheelset tension and truing was finished by hand, and each wheel has a serial number attached. They have a one year warranty from Wheelsmith.

I'll have to follow up with weights and pictures later.