I ride bikes

Budget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts

I just received my new wheels from Carbonfan.com. I am participating in their customer review plan and received a discount on the wheelset. That being said I'll do my best to provide as honest and impartial review. This review is just for unboxing and setting up the wheelset. Ride review to come at a later date. (we have a bunch of snow right now)

Wheelset Details:
    29" Carbonfan XY Asymmetric Rims - 29mm internal/35mm external width, 28H
    DT Swiss 350 Boost, straight pull, 6 bolt disc
    Pillar 1420 spokes and black aluminum nipples
    Weight: 683g (F) + 785g (R) = 1468g (without tape/valves)

Quick video :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OLMlR7Nyg4
    Check out the other Bike|ariously reviews as well

They feel impressively light and the spokes were all tensioned correctly. Carbon layup looks fantastic. I hope they ride as well as they look. They are about 470g lighter than my DT Swiss XM481 wheelset that came on my Yeti SB5.5.

Let me know if you have questions and I will try to answer them.
    Budget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts-20180104_170025-1-.jpg
    Budget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts-20180104_170048-1-.jpg
    Budget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts-20180104_190527-1-.jpg
    Budget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts-20180104_190545-1-.jpg

-Moe

mtbr member
    Nice wheelset Moe! I’ve been considering nearly that spec setup myself.
    Carbonfan seems to be one of the only builders that offers no holes in the rim bed (like a UST rim) as an option in most any of their rims. Had you considered having them done that way?
    From the user perspective (not builder or rebuilders) it seems a “why not” thing?

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!

mtbr member
    Very nice looking wheels. Thanks for the write up and keep it updated. I have a very similar wheel set waiting to be built. 38mm outer / 32 inner asymmetrical rims from XMCarbon built to DT 350 Boost 28h center lock hubs with CX-Ray spokes. I am hoping it will be under 1500g and after seeing your weights, it looks like it should be.

Not to steal any thunder from Carbonfan but XMCarbon can build with no holes in the rim bed.

mtbr member
    I have a set of those rims I laced to SRAM 900 hubs. I've been riding them the past year and a half and they've been great. I ran a single layer of Kapton tape over the holes to set them up tubeless, which they've been since the outset.
    Do the math.

President of the Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Carbonfan seems to be one of the only builders that offers no holes in the rim bed (like a UST rim) as an option in most any of their rims. Had you considered having them done that way?
    From the user perspective (not builder or rebuilders) it seems a “why not” thing?

I have carbonfan wheels with no holes in the rim bed. I kind of regret it. I've had no problems, but i think it would have been lighter with the holes drilled and I've heard it can be very difficult to replace a nipple if need be.

When I first got the wheels, I put the tire on and heard something rattling around INSIDE the rim. I pulled the tire off and managed to shake out a nipple that was left inside the rim. Just seemed to be an extra one. No big deal.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post

Ease of getting to spokes?

ultra grumpy
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Ease of getting to spokes?
    That's what I was thinking, too. Are they standard nips? Break a spoke and it'd be a long wait to get back riding.

mtbr member
    This is an interesting topic to me, so as to avoid hijacking the thread I'll open another to discuss
    Again kudos to the OP and enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post
    I have carbonfan wheels with no holes in the rim bed. I kind of regret it. I've had no problems, but i think it would have been lighter with the holes drilled and I've heard it can be very difficult to replace a nipple if need be.

When I first got the wheels, I put the tire on and heard something rattling around INSIDE the rim. I pulled the tire off and managed to shake out a nipple that was left inside the rim. Just seemed to be an extra one. No big deal.
    Replacing a nipple is not impossible - you just feed a length of fishline through the spoke hole and feed it until it is near the valve stem. Using a dental pick pull the line through valve stem hole, tie replacement nipple on, and pull it back through.

Is a lot of work VS just using rim tape.

mtbr member
    I got the same wheels except 32H, brass nipples and no decals. Love them so far with about 105 miles on them.
    Last edited by RobLyman; 1 Week Ago at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    Very nice looking wheels. Thanks for the write up and keep it updated. I have a very similar wheel set waiting to be built. 38mm outer / 32 inner asymmetrical rims from XMCarbon built to DT 350 Boost 28h center lock hubs with CX-Ray spokes. I am hoping it will be under 1500g and after seeing your weights, it looks like it should be.

Not to steal any thunder from Carbonfan but XMCarbon can build with no holes in the rim bed.
    How much?

mtbr member
    I’m not sure if the exact price with this wheelset ordered from Peter as I just got the rims and spokes from him. But going by the price I paid for the last wheels I ordered, I would assume around $775ish shipped. I’ll be at roughly $920 but that’s with getting the wheels built locally at the LBS and they provide the hubs and 54t ratchet.

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by RobLyman View Post
    I got the same wheels except 32H, brass nipples and no decals. Love them so far with about 105 miles on them.
    How do they feel with the 32h? I was hoping for something a bit more vertical compliance if possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Number of spokes and spoke tension will not make much difference in vertical compliance relative to tire pressures.