I ride bikes

Budget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts

I just received my new wheels from Carbonfan.com. I am participating in their customer review plan and received a discount on the wheelset. That being said I'll do my best to provide as honest and impartial review. This review is just for unboxing and setting up the wheelset. Ride review to come at a later date. (we have a bunch of snow right now)

Wheelset Details:
    29" Carbonfan XY Asymmetric Rims - 29mm internal/35mm external width, 28H
    DT Swiss 350 Boost, straight pull, 6 bolt disc
    Pillar 1420 spokes and black aluminum nipples
    Weight: 683g (F) + 785g (R) = 1468g (without tape/valves)

Quick video :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OLMlR7Nyg4
    Check out the other Bike|ariously reviews as well

They feel impressively light and the spokes were all tensioned correctly. Carbon layup looks fantastic. I hope they ride as well as they look. They are about 470g lighter than my DT Swiss XM481 wheelset that came on my Yeti SB5.5.

Let me know if you have questions and I will try to answer them.
    Budget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts-20180104_170025-1-.jpg
    Budget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts-20180104_170048-1-.jpg
    Budget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts-20180104_190527-1-.jpg
    Budget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts-20180104_190545-1-.jpg

-Moe

mtbr member
    Nice wheelset Moe! Iíve been considering nearly that spec setup myself.
    Carbonfan seems to be one of the only builders that offers no holes in the rim bed (like a UST rim) as an option in most any of their rims. Had you considered having them done that way?
    From the user perspective (not builder or rebuilders) it seems a ďwhy notĒ thing?

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!

mtbr member
    Very nice looking wheels. Thanks for the write up and keep it updated. I have a very similar wheel set waiting to be built. 38mm outer / 32 inner asymmetrical rims from XMCarbon built to DT 350 Boost 28h center lock hubs with CX-Ray spokes. I am hoping it will be under 1500g and after seeing your weights, it looks like it should be.

Not to steal any thunder from Carbonfan but XMCarbon can build with no holes in the rim bed.

mtbr member
    I have a set of those rims I laced to SRAM 900 hubs. I've been riding them the past year and a half and they've been great. I ran a single layer of Kapton tape over the holes to set them up tubeless, which they've been since the outset.
    Do the math.

President of the Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Carbonfan seems to be one of the only builders that offers no holes in the rim bed (like a UST rim) as an option in most any of their rims. Had you considered having them done that way?
    From the user perspective (not builder or rebuilders) it seems a ďwhy notĒ thing?

I have carbonfan wheels with no holes in the rim bed. I kind of regret it. I've had no problems, but i think it would have been lighter with the holes drilled and I've heard it can be very difficult to replace a nipple if need be.

When I first got the wheels, I put the tire on and heard something rattling around INSIDE the rim. I pulled the tire off and managed to shake out a nipple that was left inside the rim. Just seemed to be an extra one. No big deal.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post

Ease of getting to spokes?

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Ease of getting to spokes?
    That's what I was thinking, too. Are they standard nips? Break a spoke and it'd be a long wait to get back riding.

mtbr member
    This is an interesting topic to me, so as to avoid hijacking the thread I'll open another to discuss
    Again kudos to the OP and enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post
    I have carbonfan wheels with no holes in the rim bed. I kind of regret it. I've had no problems, but i think it would have been lighter with the holes drilled and I've heard it can be very difficult to replace a nipple if need be.

When I first got the wheels, I put the tire on and heard something rattling around INSIDE the rim. I pulled the tire off and managed to shake out a nipple that was left inside the rim. Just seemed to be an extra one. No big deal.
    Replacing a nipple is not impossible - you just feed a length of fishline through the spoke hole and feed it until it is near the valve stem. Using a dental pick pull the line through valve stem hole, tie replacement nipple on, and pull it back through.

Is a lot of work VS just using rim tape.

mtbr member
    I got the same wheels except 32H, brass nipples and no decals. Love them so far with about 105 miles on them.
    Last edited by RobLyman; 01-13-2018 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    Very nice looking wheels. Thanks for the write up and keep it updated. I have a very similar wheel set waiting to be built. 38mm outer / 32 inner asymmetrical rims from XMCarbon built to DT 350 Boost 28h center lock hubs with CX-Ray spokes. I am hoping it will be under 1500g and after seeing your weights, it looks like it should be.

Not to steal any thunder from Carbonfan but XMCarbon can build with no holes in the rim bed.
    How much?

mtbr member
    Iím not sure if the exact price with this wheelset ordered from Peter as I just got the rims and spokes from him. But going by the price I paid for the last wheels I ordered, I would assume around $775ish shipped. Iíll be at roughly $920 but thatís with getting the wheels built locally at the LBS and they provide the hubs and 54t ratchet.

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by RobLyman View Post
    I got the same wheels except 32H, brass nipples and no decals. Love them so far with about 105 miles on them.
    How do they feel with the 32h? I was hoping for something a bit more vertical compliance if possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Number of spokes and spoke tension will not make much difference in vertical compliance relative to tire pressures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    How do they feel with the 32h? I was hoping for something a bit more vertical compliance if possible.
    As fastpath mentioned, it's hard to say as I changed out tires (2.2" -> 2.35") and lowered psi by 5 psi. The wider rims certainly increase lateral stability and the lower psi does result in a smoother ride.

I'm 230 lbs, but don't do large jumps, so I may or may not be the one to ask if you are looking for vertical strength.

170 miles s far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    See it says on the website the 30mm external is 24mm internal, what about the 35 external?. I'm really interested on this wheels but I'm a really noob on this kind of things. Rihht now I have Mavic XA Elite 29"

I weight 230 lbs
    Bike: Santa Cruz Tall boy cc 2018
    Tires: 2.3 DHF/DHR

So questions is related to. Which spoke lacing, 2x for 3x?, spokes jbend or straight? nipple, is just a color? Nipple drilling? Valve stem? I want a wheel that I just need to install tires out of the box and ride.

Regards.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by regiobike View Post
    See it says on the website the 30mm external is 24mm internal, what about the 35 external?. I'm really interested on this wheels but I'm a really noob on this kind of things. Rihht now I have Mavic XA Elite 29"

I weight 230 lbs
    Bike: Santa Cruz Tall boy cc 2018
    Tires: 2.3 DHF/DHR

So questions is related to. Which spoke lacing, 2x for 3x?, spokes jbend or straight? nipple, is just a color? Nipple drilling? Valve stem? I want a wheel that I just need to install tires out of the box and ride.

Regards.
    For your size, bike, and tire choice, I would go with an inner dimension of 27 to 30. I've been running 29mm inner for a few years now with 2.25 through 2.6 tires. Now that I'm sticking with 2.6's, I'm going with 32mm inner width rims on my SC 5010.

Hubs - DT 350's are pretty solid, cost effective, and user friendly
    Spoke lacing - generally speaking, 32 would be 3x and 28 would be 2x but it's not a given. 32 3x would probably be the safer choice.
    Spoke style - that's your choice. My wheel builder prefers J-bend so that's what I use.
    Spoke type - double butted spokes vs bladed (CX-Ray or Aerolite), both build solid wheels. Bladed will save you 100g but cost an extra $90 or so. I've run both and the only warning I can give is that the bladed spokes aren't as durable. The wheel is just as strong but they don't withstand damage as good. They just seem to bend easier when you get sticks in the spokes and trail debris like that.
    Nipples - Brass or aluminum, either is fine. Some will argue that aluminum will corrode in carbon rims but I'm not sold on that.
    Drilling - external nipple is the tried and true method.

My wife weighs in around 145 pounds or so and is running these rims with Hope Pro4 hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes and Sapim aluminum nipples. 28 hole 2x build and they have been rock solid.

29er 35mm wide carbon 29er mtb rim

Budget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts-img_0700.jpgBudget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts-img_2625-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Great to see your pics and words today, Moe. Thank you.
    BTW, the latest construction of 25.5mm IW/33.5mm OW could be another option now, for somebody who considers 35mm is too wide and 30mm is too narrow, as rim width.Budget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts-carbonfan_t800_mtb_rim_29er_asymmetric_33-5mm_wide_tubeless_ready.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm considering Carbonfan (29er Width: 35mm Depth: 25mm IW: 29mm Asymmetric Carbon All Mountain XY) for my Primer 29er and was wondering if anyone's ran a 24H F&R set up? Or 24h F and 28H R. Any advantage or disadvantage other than maybe weight? I weigh 145lbs all kitted up. Also are the decals removable? TIA!

mtbr member
    I'm another being sorely tempted by a Carbonfan wheelset. I ride an "all mountain" bike, I guess(Canfield Riot), but really bought it for the geo. Some of my trails are very rough in terms of rocks and roots, but I don't do jumps or drops. Also am not in danger of rim strikes because of that, and there's practically no risk of punctures where I ride. I feel like my rims are very safe, and unlikely to see any damage. It's definitely not "XC", though, and I do use about all of my suspension travel with the commonly recommended sag, so I guess seeing that designation on a rim just automatically makes me pause.
    I stay around 180lbs, am almost 47yrs old with a troublesome back(so I'm not gonna suddenly start doing jumps and drops, either), and my trails are not going to change.
    Given all that, would I be a good candidate for the lighter T800 blend rims?

Those 360g i29 rims would knock 270g off my wheelset with the same build. 291g with a 28h front. Throw in the lighter rotors I haven't mounted, yet, and even sticking to brass nipples, that's -343g at the wheels, along with any other benefits carbon brings with it.
    Considering that's compared to a pretty decent wheelset to begin with, that sounds pretty good...

mtbr member

Budget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfan View Post
    BTW, the latest construction of 25.5mm IW/33.5mm OW could be another option now, for somebody who considers 35mm is too wide and 30mm is too narrow, as rim width.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carbonfan_T800_MTB_rim_29er_asymmetric_33-5mm_wide_tubeless_ready.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	1181812
    Interesting rim profile in that it has such beefy 4mm bead walls (or whatever theyíre called) yet still such a light XC build. Like the best of both worlds- strike resistance of a DH rim in a XC weight package. Most rims of this weight seem to have skinnier bead walls/hooks at 2.5-3mm.

Last edited by Noclutch; 02-08-2018 at 08:29 AM.

mtbr member
    New wheel day at my house. The rims and spokes came from a different vendor (XMCarbonSpeed) but CarbonFan has similar rims with similar price points. So I thought I would share since we are on the topic of loosing weight. I lost 300 grams over my previous Nextie / Hope wheels.

AS738C rims from XMCarbonSpeed.com, 38mm outer, 32mm inner, 28h, 820g pair
    DT Swiss 350 Centerlock Boost hubs, 28h, 54t ratchet
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes also from XMCarbonSpeed
    Sapim double hex self locking alloy nipples
    1474 grams

Budget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts-fullsizeoutput_732.jpgBudget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts-img_4421.jpgBudget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts-img_4420.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfan View Post
    BTW, the latest construction of 25.5mm IW/33.5mm OW could be another option now, for somebody who considers 35mm is too wide and 30mm is too narrow, as rim width.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carbonfan_T800_MTB_rim_29er_asymmetric_33-5mm_wide_tubeless_ready.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	1181812
    I'd like to hear Carbonfan explain the practical difference between this new rim profile (xy) and the previous skyweight models (dc):

https://www.carbonfan.com/t800-tubel...28mm-33mm-35mm
    vs
    https://www.carbonfan.com/t800-tubel...idth-27mm-30mm

I can see the difference in specs, as in the % of t800 vs t700 and the tear drop shape, but an explanation of the intended/perceived benefits would be helpful..

Im looking to replace an older 29er lightbicycle wheelset with wider rims (25mm-30mm int, wider the better), without any weight penalty (or a savings would be sweet..) my current rims are 22mm internal @ 365gr. I ride aggressive rocky eastcoast xc @ 165lbs, and do a couple cat1 xc races a year.. I dont want to sacrifice reliability as I have grown accustom to bomb proof, virtually no maintenance carbon wheels. (I have another 31mm int Nextie set, and a 38mm Hulk bike set on my 29+ HT and basically never have to tension/true spokes even on the LB set with is the oldest @ ~5yrs)

thanks
    Last edited by hiss2; 02-11-2018 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hi guys, I'd like a light weight trail carbon wheelset. I don't want to build myself at this point. I don't want the noise of I9's and probably don't need the full monty DT240's. I'm not familiar with Hopes or others but they seem popular too. Hoping to keep the weight down to a degree. Can someone recommend a wheelbuild? It seems like the options are endless and I'm stuck not wanting to screw it up. Want to run 2.5 DHF tires. 29er Rocky Mountain Instinct.

Seems like LB or Nextie are the way to go for complete wheelsets but that could be not true any more. FWIW I need some sweet red highlights in there/.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Hi guys, I'd like a light weight trail carbon wheelset. I don't want to build myself at this point. I don't want the noise of I9's and probably don't need the full monty DT240's. I'm not familiar with Hopes or others but they seem popular too. Hoping to keep the weight down to a degree. Can someone recommend a wheelbuild? It seems like the options are endless and I'm stuck not wanting to screw it up. Want to run 2.5 DHF tires. 29er Rocky Mountain Instinct.

Seems like LB or Nextie are the way to go for complete wheelsets but that could be not true any more. FWIW I need some sweet red highlights in there/.
    DT Swiss 350 hubs for Centerlock rotors would serve you will. Just get the 54t ratchet upgrade from the wheel supplier or your LBS. If you want some red on the hubs, Slik graphics makes decals in any color for the 350's.

https://www.slikgraphics.com/collect...-hub-decal-kit

XMCarbonspeed.com can do most of their rims with DT 350 hubs and CX Ray spokes for under $800 shipped to your door. CarbonFan should be able to do something similar too. You can see the weight of mine just a few posts up which is pretty similar to the original wheel set in this thread. I'm sure any of the Chinese vendors can use red alloy nipples too if that's your flavor.

29er AM mtb carbon wheels clincher

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    DT Swiss 350 hubs for Centerlock rotors would serve you will. Just get the 54t ratchet upgrade from the wheel supplier or your LBS. If you want some red on the hubs, Slik graphics makes decals in any color for the 350's.

XMCarbonspeed.com can do most of their rims with DT 350 hubs and CX Ray spokes for under $800 shipped to your door. CarbonFan should be able to do something similar too. You can see the weight of mine just a few posts up which is pretty similar to the original wheel set in this thread. I'm sure any of the Chinese vendors can use red alloy nipples too if that's your flavor.

Cool, I'm checking out XMCCarbonspeed.com now. How do you feel about hope4 hubs vs DT350 or Bitex? I like that the Hope/Bitex come in cool colors anodized.

mtbr member
    Cool, I'm checking out XMCCarbonspeed.com now. How do you feel about hope4 hubs vs DT350 or Bitex? I like that the Hope/Bitex come in cool colors anodized.
    Iíve never run the Bitex hubs so I canít comment on those.

Hopes are great though. The wheels I posted here in this thread replaced a pair of Hope Pro2 / Nextie wheels that were 4 seasons old. I have them on my plus bike too. I went with the 350ís because of weight and noise. Hopes arenít as loud as i9ís but I still wanted something quieter. The Hopeís will be a bit cheaper too since you donít have to swap out the 18t ratchet. I don't think you can go wrong with DT 350's or Hope's, both are super reliable and easily repaired if necessary.

I went with the orange Pro4 hubs and XMCarbonSpeed rims for the plus bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Budget Carbon Wheelset - Carbonfan Asymmetric Initial Thoughts-img_0232.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have the same rims as Moe the OP and they've been great in very rocky East Coast terrain. I laced them to I9s though. Svinyard Hopes are pretty loud too like I9s.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Is that 800$ shipped a cost for wheelset built too or just the pieces that I would then have to build myself (I'm fine with that)?

mtbr member
    Is that 800$ shipped a cost for wheelset built too or just the pieces that I would then have to build myself (I'm fine with that)?
    $800ish would be for a complete wheelset with CX-Rayís. I ordered a set of the KHR934C rims laced to 350 hubs with Sapim Race double butted spokes and black brass nipples for a total cost of about $700.
    Upcharges:
    CX-Ray spokes - $85ish
    T800 - $45ish per rim
    240ís hubs - $185ish

The prices may vary due to rim choice, exchange rates, and my ability to remember accurately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    $800ish would be for a complete wheelset with CX-Rayís. I ordered a set of the KHR934C rims laced to 350 hubs with Sapim Race double butted spokes and black brass nipples for a total cost of about $700.
    Upcharges:
    CX-Ray spokes - $85ish
    T800 - $45ish per rim
    240ís hubs - $185ish

The prices may vary due to rim choice, exchange rates, and my ability to remember accurately.
    Thanks man. 800$ complete would be great. Do you know of any solid companies that do complete wheelset builds with Bitex hubs? I like the price, engagement, color and weight of those hubs but don't see many companies building with them directly.

mtbr member
    Thanks man. 800$ complete would be great. Do you know of any solid companies that do complete wheelset builds with Bitex hubs? I like the price, engagement, color and weight of those hubs but don't see many companies building with them directly.
    I believe XMCarbonSpeed does. Send Peter a message through his site and see what the cost is. It should be cheaper than the DT options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I believe XMCarbonSpeed does. Send Peter a message through his site and see what the cost is. It should be cheaper than the DT options.
    Great thank you. I just pinged him.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Upcharges:
    CX-Ray spokes - $85ish
    T800 - $45ish per rim
    240ís hubs - $185ish

Did the prices go up, significantly, recently? I'm not seeing that I can build a set with 350s and good spokes for anything near that right nowÖ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG2 View Post
    Did the prices go up, significantly, recently? I'm not seeing that I can build a set with 350s and good spokes for anything near that right nowÖ
    27.5er/29er full carbon mtb wheels

Try here. Different rims shouldn't change the cost that much but Peter will build the wheels with any rims you want.