mtbr member

Bronson or Wolverine

I'm going to upgrade the tires on my Trek Marlin from the stock as they are now pretty worn. I ride in SJ and PA. Will make it down to White Clay and Middle Run in DE was well. So there's a bunch of hardpack, roots, some rocks but not alot, and occasionally sandy trails in SJ.

I'm basically sold on running the Wolverine 2.2 in the back. I've been told its a pretty good front tire as well. I'm just wondering if running the Bronson up front and the Wolverine in the back would be a better combo?

I understand the wolverine is pretty easy rolling with some good traction. Seems like the Bronson has good traction but wondering how well it will roll. Will it be slower like a nevegal or is it not as aggressive?

Thanks for any input

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Bronson or Wolverine

Bronson is a loose conditions tire. I would look at the Weirwolf as an alternative. Having run the Wolverine as a front tire, I thought it was great. I switched to a Specialized Ground Control to save 200 grams but will go back to the wolverine when it wears our. The wolverine offers excellent traction, rolls well and is durable, it's just a bit heavy.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'd say the Bronson is a very good all around tire. I especially like it in the back with its square profile. It can get a bit squirmy on the really hard stuff, but all in all, I'm pleased with its performance in the typical riding in W. PA. I basically don't have to worry about the conditions and know it will perform well.

Having quite a few miles on both the Bronson and Nev, the Bronson rolls so much faster.

mtbr member
    So how do you think it handles on the hard pack sections? I guess I ride mostly hardpack but there is more of a mix in SJ then you would think.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    So how do you think it handles on the hard pack sections? I guess I ride mostly hardpack but there is more of a mix in SJ then you would think.
    I think my idea of hardpack is different than yours. Mine means dry trails that are usually clay based and were muddy two days previous. In areas that are usually dry I suspect the "tackiness" of even our dry trails is absent. Even when our trails are dry, you'll always find muddy low spots and wet roots.

I can't say I've ever ridden the Bronson in areas that have a higher sand content or are sun baked dry. The Bronson has very tall side knobs that feel squirmy when pushed. If that type of tire works in your area, I recommend them. If the taller side knobs aren't great on your trail, I would definitely look elsewhere.