mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Bronson 29er Race 2.2 Review/Input

Hey guys,

Ran my new Bronson 29er 2.2 Race tire today up front on my x-cal. I was coming off of a Bontrager 29-4(the newest version) that comes in a 2.3 size. I wanted something lighter that still cornered well. It is set up tubeless on a stans arch ex wheel.....that went very well.....used a floor pump and pumped like a madman but got it seated. I aired it up to 30 psi....I weigh 190....as that is about where I ran my Bontrager 29-4 and it felt best. I noticed immediately that this Bronson tire kinda has a arched shape to the tread, rather than the tread following the tire in a perfect circular fashion, if that makes any sense. The tire was noticeably lighter and rolled faster with less effort. It also felt a little more twitchy that the larger Bontrager 2.3 especially on technical sections or small drops......just less forgiving you might say. Cornering seems to be a little more challenging as well....I feel like i need to lean this tire more or figure out the pressure a little better. I was hoping to get some input from anyone who has used this Bronson as a front tire to see what pressures they were running and if they had any input or suggestions. Im sure I'll adapt to it more over time....I'm not sold on it yet though! Thanks for reading.......Kevin

Save Jesus
    The reason I chose the XR4 over the Bronson is that some people claimed that the soft, tall side knobs on the latter made cornering at high lean angles kind of squirmy. I also think that if you had the 2.2 XR4 Team version with the better rubber compound, it would feel more "nimble" and "quick" than the 2.3, albeit less shock absorbing. I keep using this analogy, but it is like a sports car vs luxury sedan.

Edit, also check out this post from Yody, which somehow doesn't come up with the mtbr search, but does with google:

Did anyone get to ride the new WTB Bronson tire yet?

"Its a great tire but I took it off after 4 rides. It just doesn't have the ultimate cornering grip thattt the weirwolf has. The bronson seems liike an awesome winter time tire or a great intermediate rider skill tire but with the soft side knobs, at max lean angle it feels like when pushed past the liimitt it let's go. It also seemed to suck in loose rockiness.

This is all in comparison to the weirwolf 2,3 which is a 950 gram tire so take what I say with a grain of aslt. The Bronson is a super fast and sturdy tire and would be a great choice for many riders. For me though I want the ultimate cornering confidence and traction on a front tire and do not care about weight. The ww is a heavy sucker but that thing just hooks so good and always trys to hold on even past the limit of traction, love that tire. (The 2.3 size is plenty big for me, id imagine a 2.5 would be overkill and weight would be out of this world for trail riding, but a DH 2.5 would be sick for park riding)

I would still recommend the bronson though, especiallyif you're looking for a really "easy" tire to ride. Since its so round and the outside knobs are so chunky this tire is super easy to ride hard and instills a lot of confidence, especially if you're coming from more xc oriented tired. And if you're used to something like a nevegal, the Bronson has just as much traction but rolls infinitely faster."
    Last edited by beanbag; 10-03-2012 at 10:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i think you might be referring to 26" tires with the widths you are talking about and most of that thread you posted up is referring to 26 inch versions of the bronson.......they only make the bronson in a 2.2 width for 29ers. I'll keep my hopes up that i like it more as it ride it more and find the right pressure