ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Broken spokes Mavic Crossmax Sx '09

Hi there, I've managed to break 3 spokes in the last 3 months or so of my 09 Crossmax rear wheel, the first time I broke the first spoke was in a competition so it was a normal thing, I took it to my LBS but 3 weeks later I broke the second one, the funny thing is I was going uphill along an asphalt road, I stood up to pedal harder and the spoke just exploded, and today I broke the third one doing nothing special... so I "suspect" my LBS didn't do his work properly..., is there anything special or just different to "standard" wheels about installing and tensioning a spoke in this kind of Mavic wheels??? btw, all the broken spokes are in the disc side...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The mavic spoke tension is very low compared to most other wheels.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    that really makes sense, the way the 2nd broken spoke made me think there was too much tension on the spoke but as it had been my LBS the one that tensioned the spokes I thought it was a coincidence but it seems they put too much tension....I think it's time to go to other shop
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    a good Mavic shop should be using a spoke tensiometer to ensure proper tension. over tensioning can for sure cause spokes to break.
    to be fair, it's possible that you're experiencing spoke failure simply due to metal fatigue over time. SX wheels are really bomber but if you're riding aggressively and the wheels are nearly 4 years old ... spokes do get tired and break due to metal fatigue/work hardening caused simply by the loading/unloading cycles of riding over time.
    if you have any question at all, Mavic retailers can send wheels back to the MSC tech shop for a complete rebuild. it's pricey at about $250 but can extend the life of your wheels by another 4-5 years, worry free.
    something to consider.
    be good and happy trails - z
    Mavic Zack

Mavic USA Communications Guy
    www.mavic.com
    http://www.facebook.com/mavic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maviczack View Post
    to be fair, it's possible that you're experiencing spoke failure simply due to metal fatigue over time. SX wheels are really bomber but if you're riding aggressively and the wheels are nearly 4 years old ... spokes do get tired and break due to metal fatigue/work hardening caused simply by the loading/unloading cycles of riding over time.
    This is why, when I start breaking spokes on my Crossmax SX wheels I decide it's time to buy a new bike! Usually after about 3 years of use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    They're quite a bit higher than everyones wheels. Crossmax's are 115-150kgf. Most rims top out at 125kgf.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by maviczack View Post
    a good Mavic shop should be using a spoke tensiometer to ensure proper tension. over tensioning can for sure cause spokes to break.
    if you have any question at all, Mavic retailers can send wheels back to the MSC tech shop for a complete rebuild. it's pricey at about $250 but can extend the life of your wheels by another 4-5 years, worry free.
    something to consider.
    be good and happy trails - z
    Ok cheers for the info, I've already had the broken spoke replaced by another shop in my area but if I keep breaking spokes, I'll have all of them replaced. Cheers again, Juan