mtbr member&ham operator
    Jul 2004

Broke my Hugi 240 disc hub! Help pls!

Hi mates,

Need your comments please.

My current wheelset is Mavic TXC 3.1 24-spoke UST disc wheel with Hugi 240 hubs.

The rear hub shell cracked last night while I was going uphill. Please find attached pictures. The picture quality is a liitle fuzzy though as was using a phone camera!

I have emailed DT Swiss in Switzerland asking for their resolution politely as this hub is about 10 months old only. My dealer had a look at it this morning and he called his supplier whether it was under warranty. His supplier said NO. My hope is that DT Swiss will warranty it. Yet to receive any reply from them as I post here.

In the event that DT Swiss does not honour the warranty, I need your kind comments as follows.

a) Should I just buy another set of Hugi 240s (new version) 24-hole hubs to replace the broken rear hub and use back the existing rim? The hubs come only in a pair which means that I will end up with a spare front hub. Price about RM700

b) Should I just buy no-name generic rear hub (sealed bearing 24 hole which they claim is OEM Formula disc hub) to replace the broken rear hub and use back the existing rim? Price about RM250

c) Should I buy a pair of DT Swiss 4.1d 28-hole centrelock disc rim with Hugi 240s hubs and DT spokes and retire the Mavic TXC 3.1? Price RM1900 complete with new Shimano XT disc rotors as my current disc brake is Deore M555. The LBS only has the centrelock rim version available. Old Deore M555 rotor? Retire them to be used as flying saucers! LOL!

d) Should I buy a pair of Shimano WH-M965 XTR wheelset also 24-spoke which uses XTR bearings and total weight is 1650grams. Price RM2200 inclusive of XTR new rotor because of the centrelock issue.

BTW, RM stands for Ringgit Malaysia

There you are! I'm in a dilemma. Help me with your comments please.

FYI, my weight is about 190 pounds. I have been given to understand that based on my weight and using disc brakes, 24-spoke wheelsets are not recommended due to flex.

Therefore I was thinking of biting the bullet since I already had problem with my rear hub. I would prefer a 32-spoke wheel but the LBS only has 28-spoke in stock. Or shall I go for the light weight Shimano XTR wheels?

Thanks for reading.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do It Yourself

Contact DT Swiss in the USA...

Phone: +1 (0)970 242 92 32

Email: info@dtswiss-us.com

I bet they will replace it, no problem. Probably even offer to rebuild it for you if you want.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member&ham operator
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Phone: +1 (0)970 242 92 32

Email: info@dtswiss-us.com

I bet they will replace it, no problem. Probably even offer to rebuild it for you if you want.
    Thanks mate. A cc copy of my earlier email to the Switzerland office has been sent to the American office.

Keeping my fingers crossed........

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Warranty claim on OEM hub version.

The 24-hole version of the hub, and also that Mavic rim model, were developed as OEM parts and were supposed to be sold as part of a complete bicycle. Warranty claims on OEM parts are normally addressed through the bike manufacturer. That's one reason manufacturers get a huge discount on the parts they buy. Did you get these wheels as part of a complete bike? If so, you should contact the bike dealer or manufacturer. If not, they are likely "grey market" wheels that were sold improperly in the aftermarket.

Apparently you are not in the United States, so I don't think DT USA would be responsible for your warranty claim. I also doubt they have any 24 hole hubshells (new or old) on hand since this is not an available aftermarket drilling. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask.

As far as that failure not being considered a warranty claim, that's nonsense. The hub is inside the warranty period, and it obviously failed due to an inherent weakness in the part. Eliminating that occassional cracking problem on the drive side spoke holes was why DT switched to a different finish on the 240S. The hard anodized finish on the original version was brittle and the new version uses a powdercoat paint. Your 24 hole version is particularly susceptible since it concentrates all your pedaling torque into fewer spokes. I think you need to contact the local DT representative again and advise him that your research indicates that this cracking problem is a known potential flaw with this model, and that it is routinely treated as a warrantee item in other countries.

Team BikeWood

Mine did the same thing..

Quote Originally Posted by 9W6VX
    Thanks mate. A cc copy of my earlier email to the Switzerland office has been sent to the American office.

Keeping my fingers crossed........
    My Hugi 240 cracked just like yours. The hub was 2 years old and the US office replaced it as a warranty with a brand new 240s. They have supposedly addressed this problem with the newer version hub shell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Call the DT USA at the number above " Dave at ext # 19" He should be able to help you
    he'll give you a RA # send it in and whola at new hub at your door ???

A wheelist
    My FOUR year old 240 cracked last fall and the 2-year warranty was waived by DT-Swiss USA and the hub was replaced.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Hopefully DT Swiss is the same in Europe, but here in the US they have been replacing cracked hub shells, no questions asked, regardless of age.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DT Swiss USA now covering Malaysian warrantee claims?

I know DT Swiss USA does a great job of supporting their U.S. and Canadian customers...but I'd be a little surpised if the U.S. division will warranty an OEM hub for a customer in Malaysia. Maybe it was purchased from a U.S. retailer. In that case they would probably be able to help out.

The other problem is that DT Swiss USA does not have any of the OEM 24 hole hubs or hubshells in inventory. At least they didn't when Duckman was searching for a 24 hole hub. Those are supposed to be warranteed through the bike manufacturer and they are not supposed to be sold as individual parts.

I'm not trying to be a party pooper, but this situation doesn't seem as simple as a "make a call, get a hub" like it would be for a standard drilling o f the hub in the U.S. or the Great White North...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Hugi

My Hugi flange cracked on the drive side.Called DT swiss they replaced it and relaced the wheel no problem.

mtbr member
    DT US covered a malaysian warranty claim for me. A friend cracked the 240 which was 3 yrs old. They said send it in, but would require someone in the US to receive the new hub. So they sent the replacement hub to me and I forwarded the hub on to my buddy.

mtbr member
    I can help you out there. I used to live in Miri, you're in KK. I do not know if you know any of the Miri or Brunei riders, but if you do you can ask about the 1/2 english iban guy that was posted to new orleans. PM me and I can give you more info.
    Anyway I assisted one of my buddies by forwarding the replacment hubs
    DT said it is a manufacturing flaw even after it was 3yrs old. All he had to do was send it to them and DT sent the replacement to me. You can search the forums under one of my posts. If you need help to forward it, I can do so, I still have an BBMB account in Miri so you pay shipping there.

RM1900 is expensive ! If DT is not going to warranty it, I would just get a generic light weight 32 hole disc hub. There are plenty of good taiwanese stuff around now. XTR is good but the engagement is a bit slow.

XC Racing Daddy
    Feb 2004
    Hearing all these cracking storys makes me wanna get cris king. They warantee theirs for 5 years.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dad
    Hearing all these cracking storys makes me wanna get cris king. They warantee theirs for 5 years.

The new 240s are much better than the original. The original King hubs had some issues as well. I wouldn't let a issue with the old version scare you away from the new and improved product. I still think King is better but at a price.
    Long Live Long Rides

XC Racing Daddy
    Feb 2004
    That makes me feel a bit better. Im in the market for new wheels, and was leaning twords Hugi until this thread.

mtbr member
    I was informed by a wheelbuilder that Hugi had some issues with anodizing the earlier hubs which lead to the cracking. It supposed to be solved now.

I'm waiting for my new 240s built wheels too.

mtbr member&ham operator
    Jul 2004
    Thanks to everybody who gave me really good and sound advise. Appreciate it!

Latest update! DT Swiss Switzerland has agreed to replace my broken rear hub. They want me to send it to Switzerland for service and they will send it back to me.

Only problem is that I won't be riding for at least 4 to 6 weeks and I can't do that. Need to sit on a saddle and mount her! LOL!

I emailed DT Swiss again and asked them to just send over a new hub as it will be faster. They replied saying they understood my predicament and offered to send a hubshell to me instead and that I change the hubshell myself. As bianchi4me mentioned correctly, they do not carry stocks of the 24-hole hubs.

NOW, either way, I won't be able to mount my Stumpy for at least 2 weeks assuming that I agree to DT Swiss sending out a new hubshell from Switzerland.

Should I make this my spare wheelset or sell it off and get another wheelset? Which is better for my weight, 28-spoke or 32-spoke wheels? My riding style is mainly XC. Very minor jumps only.
    Mike Garcia aka bianchi4me your expert input is anxiously awaited.

Thank you once again to all who posted.

mtbr member&ham operator
    Jul 2004
    heatstroke,

Thanks for your kind offer to help mate. DT Swiss Switzerland has agreed to replace my rear hub.

I will PM you later. It's now almost 12pm and I need to get out of the house to do some work. Talk to you later ex-Miri man.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I think the general consensus will be that a 24 spoke wheelset is not the best long term solution. I would recommend purchasing a new wheelset and retaining your old wheelset as a spare.

I weigh just on 200 Ibs and recently purchased a Mavic XM819/DT supercomp/XTR wheelset for about 1400RM. The 819 rims which are UST certified are readily available in a 32 hole pattern in Malaysia. The wheelset is quite sturdy and should serve your needs well.

I also recently purchased a WH M965 XTR wheelset. This wheelset has only travelled about 500 kms so far however no problems to date. Riding conditions being XC with minimal drops.

The advantage of the XTR wheelset over the 819/XTR wheelset is weight. The XTR wheelset is significantly lighter and this is very noticeable when climbing. I'm sure that many will disagree with the idea of buying the XTR wheels however you will not find a much lighter UST wheelset.

With a spare wheelset either of the above options should be fine over the long term. Also with the Malaysian prices for Shimano being cheaper than most other countries I believe that the XTR wheels are a bargain at the asking price of $580 USD.

By the way I am tendering for a project in KK. If all goes well I will be visting Sabah regularly for a couple of years and will definately keep a bike in KK. It would be great to hook up with local riders.

Best Wishes

mtbr member&ham operator
    Jul 2004
    heatstroke,

You have PM!

hi...hi.....

mtbr member&ham operator
    Jul 2004
    mccoia,

Please to hear from you mate. If you are ever in the neighbourhood, let me know in advance and we could meet up and have a drink. Just PM or email me. I stick around here often..... ha...ha....

Well, if your KK project materializes, you are most welcome to bring your bike over here and join us. We ride minimum twice a week on the weekday evenings and on the weekend, do a off-road section or long road section to get more mileage.

Cheerio.